Static electricity, cell phone in a rubber case

chilli42
Please be kind - have probably a silly question about static electricity, the type when you walk across a carpet and touch something and you get a spark/shock on your finger.

Hoping someone here can answer as I’m getting confused.

If I’m holding say a cell phone in a rubber case and I have built up static charge on me, could I experience that spark/shock if a finger touched an exposed metal button on the phone (not covered by the case), or because I’m already holding the phone, would that not happen. Would I only get the shock if I were to touch something separate, like a door handle?

Hope that make sense.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You, the cell phone, and the rug are a closed system. Unless you build up enough charge to spark over to something nearby (unlikely) OR you touch something that will take the charge off of you by including it into your closed system and distributing the charge between you and it, you're good.

The phone should be good in any case unless you discharge the static electricity THROUGH the phone by hold it and touching IT to something. That would be particularly bad if you touched something that was grounded since ALL of the charge would leave you and go through the phone. Not sure just what that might cause to happen to the phone but I don't recommend trying it. Also, If the phone has a metal case, the charge should just go through the case and not through the internal electronics.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, it's not a silly question at all. Seems like quite a reasonable one to me.

Thank you for your answer. I got a shock from the dog (coming from him to me I think. So before I picked up the phone I touched a faucet, and door handle and no zap, then picked up the phone. While holding the phone I opened another door and still didn’t experience and discharge that I could feel.

What made me ask what I touched near the open metal charge port on the phone and it got me wondering if anything would have discharged via that opening. But, I’m assuming all I would have been fully discharged at that point.

I’m also assuming that phone are designed to handle static or thousands would be dying daily.

phinds said:
You, the cell phone, and the rug are a closed system. Unless you build up enough charge to spark over to something nearby (unlikely) OR you touch something that will take the charge off of you by including it into your closed system and distributing the charge between you and it, you're good.

The phone should be good in any case unless you discharge the static electricity THROUGH the phone by hold it and touching IT to something. That would be particularly bad if you touched something that was grounded since ALL of the charge would leave you and go through the phone. Not sure just what that might cause to happen to the phone but I don't recommend trying it. Also, If the phone has a metal case, the charge should just go through the case and not through the internal electronics.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, it's not a silly question at all. Seems like quite a reasonable one to me.
Also, if I move off the rug and stand on the wooden floor with the phone, do me the phone and floor become a closed circuit? Where does the closed circuit end? As in the floor is attached to walls and the door and door handle. 😳

chilli42 said:
I’m also assuming that phone are designed to handle static or thousands would be dying daily.
I have no idea whether that's true or not but I'm doubtful about it. First, I'm not so sure about the phones and second, I mean how many people build up static electricity and then discharge it through their phone?

phinds said:
how many people build up static electricity and then discharge it through their phone?
In winter, when the air is dry, I am sparking like crazy, touching everything that has any capacity or is in any way grounded (often just by lying on something else). I can easily believe this is a potentially serious problem.

• Informative
Likes phinds
Borek said:
In winter, when the air is dry, I am sparking like crazy, touching everything that has any capacity or is in any way grounded (often just by lying on something else). I can easily believe this is a potentially serious problem.
I'll take your word for it. I'm a dinosaur and do not HAVE a smart-phone, just a brick and I rarely use it, so no personal experience.

chilli42 said:
I got a shock from the dog
Bad Dog!!

chilli42 said:
Oh the Humanity!!

Oh wait, you mean thousands of phones, not thousands of people. C'mon man, please be more clear. :wink:

Anyway, sure, smart phones as well as all electronic devices need to pass certain levels of immunity testing in order to be sold under the CE Mark (which mainly applies to the EU, but also has been adopted in much of the Rest of the World). After all, if thousands of people phones were dying each day, from ESD shocks, that would lead to a lot of complaints and warranty replacements.

The standard test used for ESD immunity is EN 61000-4-2 (look it up). There are a number of design techniques used to ensure that whichever pathway an ESD voltage transient is applied to a device, the device can guard itself against damage.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes phinds

1. Can static electricity damage my cell phone if it's in a rubber case?

No, static electricity is unlikely to damage your cell phone even if it's in a rubber case. Modern cell phones are designed to be quite resilient against typical levels of static electricity. Rubber cases can actually help to insulate the phone further from electrical discharges.

2. Does a rubber case increase the risk of static electricity build-up on a cell phone?

A rubber case does not significantly increase the risk of static electricity build-up on your cell phone. Rubber is an insulator, which means it can prevent the flow of electrical charges to some extent, thereby reducing the risk of static discharge.

3. Can static electricity affect the functionality of a cell phone?

Under normal circumstances, static electricity should not affect the functionality of a cell phone. Cell phones are built with internal protections against common levels of electrostatic discharges. However, an extremely high discharge could potentially cause temporary malfunction or require the phone to be restarted.

4. Is it safe to use my cell phone during conditions that promote static electricity, like dry air?

Yes, it is generally safe to use your cell phone even in conditions that promote static electricity, such as dry air. The internal components of cell phones are protected against electrostatic discharges, and the rubber case provides additional insulation.

5. How can I minimize static electricity when handling my cell phone?

To minimize static electricity when handling your cell phone, try to maintain a humid environment, as moisture in the air helps reduce static build-up. Additionally, touching a metal object to discharge any static buildup before handling your phone can also help prevent static discharges.