Shiba dog's DNA found to be most similar to the Wolf but....

• Thread starter Pleonasm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary: It was not an estimated prediction of distribution. It was only the result of their findings. There was no extrapolation based on the data. What I would like to know is how many of each breed was used. One from each seems meaningless, especially since the top 4 are so...
Pleonasm said:
Shiba dog's DNA found to be most similar to the Wolf but...
Usually such genetic relation graphs are made based on selected DNA sequences/genes, and does not represents the whole DNA (which would be the same for all dog- and wolf-types up to 9x%). So the accuracy of the study will depend entirely on the set of genes selected for testing for the actual study.
Without the raw data that graph (study) has very-very limited scientific value now.

With time (and with the amount of relevant studies growing) the information about the relevance of the different genes is growing so the accuracy of such claims will be improved too. But I'm afraid the early DNA based studies might has a decent amount of wishful thinking in them due the lack of information about relevance of specific genes.

Biology news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Then one has to ask why the two breeds have virtually no overlap in cluster membership.e.

Perhaps because the modern-day German Shepherd is not the same dog as the breed used to cross-breed with Akitas in WW2? Although the difference should''t be that big..

Rive said:
Usually such genetic relation graphs are made based on selected DNA sequences/genes, and does not represents the whole DNA (which would be the same for all dog- and wolf-types up to 9x%). So the accuracy of the study will depend entirely on the set of genes selected for testing for the actual study.
Without the raw data that graph (study) has very-very limited scientific value now.

With time (and with the amount of relevant studies growing) the information about the relevance of the different genes is growing so the accuracy of such claims will be improved too. But I'm afraid the early DNA based studies might has a decent amount of wishful thinking in them due the lack of information about relevance of specific genes.

It's the same conditions for all dog breeds. Are you saying that that Spitz breeds are unfairly favored in these type of studies?

What I found most chocking is that the conformity to Wolf DNA in the Japanese spitz breed cluster was reportedly not only higher (expected) but way above the normal range.

Also nothworthy is that that these Japanese spitz breeds were NOT cross-bred with wolfes, unlike the early alaskan malamutes, yet they were still more wolf-like!

Pleonasm said:
Are you saying that that Spitz breeds are unfairly favored in these type of studies?
I'm saying that you should not stick to older studies and also should not stick to ill-texted graphs.

With the 'blood unit' you (and actually breeders using something like this too -I'm somehow reluctant to use this, but as I see most misunderstandings here originated from your unfamiliarity with the real scientific language) used in the thread about testing the DNA of your dog the shiba is <<<0.1% wolf.
Practically all the other dogs are too <<<0.1% wolf. This comes directly from the distance (in generations) from the common dog ancestors and the distance of those ancestors from the wolves.

There are two different use for the term 'wolfdog'. One is to title specific breeds, like the Czeslovakian wolfdog or some other (german shepherd, for example). You have to know, that in 'blood unit' these breeds are clearly dogs, and genetically they are all far closer to their dog ancestors than to wolves. With all the generations from the start of these breeds it is exactly as expected. They are dogs.

Other use for the term 'wolfdog' is, when one unlucky dog has a wolf ancestor within only a few generations back. Usually this is rare, and mostly misused for dogs which are... well: complete psychos. But a real 'wolfdog' indeed 'speaks' only wolf, and so requires special care and does not fit well into human society.
In your 'blood units' this type of 'wolfdog' is between 5 - 50% (!) wolf.

Well, of course there are exceptions.

Likes BillTre
The point is not how much Wolf there is in the pure dog breeds, but rather which breeds have the dog structures most conforming to Wolf structures.

Rive said:
I'm saying that you should not stick to older studies and also should not stick to ill-texted graphs.

With the 'blood unit' you (and actually breeders using something like this too -I'm somehow reluctant to use this, but as I see most misunderstandings here originated from your unfamiliarity with the real scientific language) used in the thread about testing the DNA of your dog the shiba is <<<0.1% wolf.
Practically all the other dogs are too <<<0.1% wolf. This comes directly from the distance (in generations) from the common dog ancestors and the distance of those ancestors from the wolves.

There are two different use for the term 'wolfdog'. One is to title specific breeds, like the Czeslovakian wolfdog or some other (german shepherd, for example). You have to know, that in 'blood unit' these breeds are clearly dogs, and genetically they are all far closer to their dog ancestors than to wolves. With all the generations from the start of these breeds it is exactly as expected. They are dogs.

Other use for the term 'wolfdog' is, when one unlucky dog has a wolf ancestor within only a few generations back. Usually this is rare, and mostly misused for dogs which are... well: complete psychos. But a real 'wolfdog' indeed 'speaks' only wolf, and so requires special care and does not fit well into human society.
In your 'blood units' this type of 'wolfdog' is between 5 - 50% (!) wolf.

Well, of course there are exceptions.

Did you somehow misinterpet the study? It was NOT an examination into which dog breed has the most wolf in it. It was which dog breeds have most DNA structures conforming to grey Wolf DNA structures. This is perfectly compatible with all dog breeds having 99.8% Wolf in them.