Shell and Liquid Forces: Exploring Equilibrium in a Hemispherical Container

In summary: A = 0 to find the fluid's displacement y at the point P.In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem that assumed a rotating liquid, but did not provide a clear explanation of how to solve the problem.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=9560d9156199d743d9a5fd6c3bf9723d.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering the upper hemispherical liquid part ,the forces acting on it are , force due to the shell and that due to the bottom liquid .

Doing a force balance , force due to upper hemispherical shell = ##\pi R^3ρg - \frac{2}{3}\pi R^3ρg = \frac{1}{3}\pi R^3ρg## (downwards)

Force due to the liquid on upper hemisphere would be ## \frac{1}{3}\pi R^3ρg## (upwards) gives option A) for Q 13 .

For Q 14 , I think rotating the shell doesn't rotate the liquid which means the pressure at point P should remain unaffected i.e option A )

Is that correct ?

Thanks

Attachments

• shell.PNG
    shell.PNG
    69.6 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess we assume that the pressure is zero at the point of the liquid at the top of the shell.

I agree with your answer for 13.

I agree with your answer for 14 if the liquid doesn't rotate. But that's not very interesting. I suspect that the problem assumes that the liquid rotates with the shell.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
I suspect that the problem assumes that the liquid rotates with the shell.

In that case do you get any of the four options ?

TSny said:
But that's not very interesting

Would the assumption of liquid rotating suitable for an intro physics problem :smile: ?

Assuming the liquid rotates , how should I proceed ?

I used simple integration. Maybe there's another way. I'll have to think about it. I'm off to bed for now.

TSny said:
I used simple integration. Maybe there's another way. I'll have to think about it. I'm off to bed for now.
A walk sometimes helps. Forces one to look for ways so easy they can be done in the head. I arrived at one of the options. I did use my knowledge that in an open tank of uniformly rotating liquid the surface is parabolic.

haruspex said:
I arrived at one of the options. I did use my knowledge that in an open tank of uniformly rotating liquid the surface is parabolic.

Is it possible for the liquid to have parabolic surface in this problem ( considering that the shell is completely filled ) ?

Could you please share your reasoning .

Vibhor said:
Is it possible for the liquid to have parabolic surface in this problem ( considering that the shell is completely filled ) ?

Could you please share your reasoning .
In this case, the sphere is full, so no exposed surface. But does it tell us anything about the surfaces of constant pressure within the liquid?

haruspex said:
the surfaces of constant pressure

o_O

Vibhor said:
o_O
Umm... are you hinting that you don't know what I mean by a surface of constant pressure, or you cannot figure out how it relates to the parabolic surface of a partly filled vessel?

Both .

Vibhor said:
Both .
A surface of constant pressure just means the locus of points within the liquid where the pressure is constant. Like a line on a contour map, or like an equipotential surface. If the vessel is not full, the exposed surface is the surface at (gauge) pressure zero, i.e. ambient pressure.
Given that in a rotating vessel that is not full the exposed surface would be parabolic, can you see how to show that all constant pressure surfaces within it are parabolic? Think about the force balance on a small parcel of liquid, and which way the pressure gradient points.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
A walk sometimes helps. Forces one to look for ways so easy they can be done in the head.
Yes, indeed!
I arrived at one of the options. I did use my knowledge that in an open tank of uniformly rotating liquid the surface is parabolic.
Very nice. I guess that pushes the integration back to getting the parabolic equipotentials. But if you already know the formula for the parabolic shape, then this is a very clever way to get the answer to the problem.

TSny said:
Very nice. I guess that pushes the integration back to getting the parabolic equipotentials.

Are you referring to the equation ##y = \frac{ω^2r^2}{2g} + constant ## ? Is this the "simple integration" you were referring to in post#4 ?

TSny said:
But if you already know the formula for the parabolic shape, then this is a very clever way to get the answer to the problem.

:eek: I don't see any parabolic shapes in the liquid. The shell is completely full of liquid .

Sorry , I am clueless . What is the clever way you are alluding to ?

Vibhor said:
Are you referring to the equation ##y = \frac{ω^2r^2}{2g} + constant ## ? Is this the "simple integration" you were referring to in post#4 ?
I was thinking of starting from scratch. Take a small element of the rotating fluid as shown below. It has a width dx and the areas of the vertical faces perpendicular to the x-axis are A. Apply F = ma in the x direction to find the change in pressure as you move a distance dx along the x-axis.

:eek: I don't see any parabolic shapes in the liquid. The shell is completely full of liquid .

Sorry , I am clueless . What is the clever way you are alluding to ?
haruspex's method is clever. But it presupposes that you are already familiar with a well-known result about rotating fluids.

Attachments

• Rotating Fluid.png
    Rotating Fluid.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 338
Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
I was thinking of starting from scratch. Take a small element of the rotating fluid as shown below. It has a width dx and the areas of the vertical faces perpendicular to the x-axis are A. Apply F = ma in the x direction to find the change in pressure as you move a distance dx along the x-axis.

## dP = ρω^2x dx ##

##P(x) = \frac{1}{2}ρ ω^2 R^2 + P_{center} ##

##P_{center} = ρgR##

##P(x) = \frac{1}{2}ρ ω^2 R^2 + ρgR ##

##Pressure(P) = \frac{3}{2}ρgR ## i.e option C)

Is this what you are suggesting ?

Vibhor said:
## dP = ρω^2x dx ##

##P(x) = \frac{1}{2}ρ ω^2 R^2 + P_{center} ##

##P_{center} = ρgR##

##P(x) = \frac{1}{2}ρ ω^2 R^2 + ρgR ##

##Pressure(P) = \frac{3}{2}ρgR ## i.e option C)

Is this what you are suggesting ?
Very good.

Likes Vibhor
Thanks .

Just want to clear few things . The sphere is rotating about an axis coming out of the plane of the page . Right ?

Vibhor said:
Thanks .

Just want to clear few things . The sphere is rotating about an axis coming out of the plane of the page . Right ?
No, it says about the axis z1-z2, which makes it vertical in the diagram. With a horizontal axis, your Pcenter=ρgR would be doubtful.

haruspex said:
No, it says about the axis z1-z2, which makes it vertical in the diagram.

In that case the pressure at the topmost point of the shell on z1-z2 axis would be 0 and that at the bottommost point would be ##2ρgR## ??

Don't you think the dotted lines at the top and bottom of the shell in the figure indicate that Z1-Z2 axis is coming out of the plane of the page ?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
With a horizontal axis, your Pcenter=ρgR would be doubtful.

Why ? Is it because pressure "ρgh" holds under hydrostatic conditions which would no longer be the case ?

Suppose the fluid rotates about an axis coming out of the plane of the figure , then pressure at the topmostpoint (on y-axis ) is ##\frac{1}{2}ρgR## and bottommostpoint (on y-axis ) is ##\frac{5}{2}ρgR## ??

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
Suppose the fluid rotates about an axis coming out of the plane of the figure , then pressure at the topmostpoint (on y-axis ) is ##\frac{1}{2}ρgR## and bottommostpoint (on y-axis ) is ##\frac{5}{2}ρgR## ??
How do you arrive at that?

Vibhor said:
Why ? Is it because pressure "ρgh" holds under hydrostatic conditions which would no longer be the case ?
Yes.

Likes Vibhor
Vibhor said:
that case the pressure at the topmost point of the shell on z1-z2 axis would be 0 and that at the bottommost point would be 2ρgR ??
Yes.
Vibhor said:
Don't you think the dotted lines at the top and bottom of the shell in the figure indicate that Z1-Z2 axis is coming out of the plane of the page ?
No, why do you think that? Is there some diagrammatic convention regarding dotted lines that I am unaware of?

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
How do you arrive at that?
By adding the pressure ( similar to as derived in post #15) to the respective hydrostatic pressures at the two points .

Vibhor said:
By adding the pressure ( similar to as derived in post #15) to the respective hydrostatic pressures at the two points .
But you seem to have assumed the pressure at the centre is ρgR, which, as I wrote, is not justified.
Think first about the pressure at the top. What does the force balance tell you about that?

Likes Vibhor
Ok . Thanks TSny and haruspex .

Vibhor said:
Ok . Thanks TSny and haruspex .
Ok.

The horizontal axis case for an arbitrary rotation rate is quite interesting.

In that thread it states that the fluid is frictionless, so the liquid can't get any torque from the wall of the shell to start rotating. For this thread, if the liquid did not rotate with the shell, then as you pointed out, the rotation of the shell would not have any effect on the pressure inside the liquid.

Likes Vibhor
Ok . Thanks .

haruspex said:
The horizontal axis case for an arbitrary rotation rate is quite interesting.
I'm stumped on one aspect of this case. In order to know the pressure throughout, I first need to know the pressure at one point. In the rotation about a vertical axis we just assumed the pressure is zero at the top.

What if the pressure is zero at the top before any rotation, and then we start rotating about a horizontal axis? Is there a simple way to see what the pressure will be at some one point so I can determine the pressure everywhere else?

TSny said:
I'm stumped on one aspect of this case. In order to know the pressure throughout, I first need to know the pressure at one point. In the rotation about a vertical axis we just assumed the pressure is zero at the top.

What if the pressure is zero at the top before any rotation, and then we start rotating about a horizontal axis? Is there a simple way to see what the pressure will be at some one point so I can determine the pressure everywhere else?
Yes, that's what makes it tricky.
I believe one is justified in saying that the minimum pressure is always zero. Below a threshold rotation that will always be at the top. In the limit it is at the centre.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Yes, that's what makes it tricky.
I believe one is justified in saying that the minimum pressure is always zero. Below a threshold rotation that will always be at the top. In the limit is at at the centre.
OK. That makes sense to me. Then I think the threshold is for ω = √(g/R). For larger ω the point of zero pressure will be located a distance r above the center of the sphere where ω2r = g. Is that what you find?

TSny said:
OK. That makes sense to me. Then I think the threshold is for ω = √(g/R). For larger ω the point of zero pressure will be located a distance r above the center of the sphere where ω2r = g. Is that what you find?
Yes.

<h2>1. What is equilibrium in a hemispherical container?</h2><p>Equilibrium in a hemispherical container refers to the state in which the liquid inside the container is evenly distributed and there is no net force acting on the liquid or the container. This means that the liquid is not moving or changing shape.</p><h2>2. How does the shape of the container affect the equilibrium of the liquid inside?</h2><p>The shape of the container plays a crucial role in determining the equilibrium of the liquid inside. In a hemispherical container, the curved shape of the container allows for a more even distribution of the liquid, resulting in a stable equilibrium. If the container has a different shape, such as a cylinder, the liquid may not be evenly distributed and the equilibrium may be unstable.</p><h2>3. What forces are involved in maintaining equilibrium in a hemispherical container?</h2><p>The two main forces involved in maintaining equilibrium in a hemispherical container are the gravitational force and the surface tension force. The gravitational force pulls the liquid downwards, while the surface tension force acts to minimize the surface area of the liquid. When these two forces are balanced, the liquid remains in equilibrium.</p><h2>4. How does the volume of liquid affect equilibrium in a hemispherical container?</h2><p>The volume of liquid in a hemispherical container does not affect the equilibrium as long as the container is not completely filled. As long as there is enough space for the liquid to move and redistribute, the equilibrium will remain stable. However, if the container is completely filled, the liquid may overflow and the equilibrium will be disrupted.</p><h2>5. Can the equilibrium in a hemispherical container be disrupted?</h2><p>Yes, the equilibrium in a hemispherical container can be disrupted if external forces are applied. For example, if the container is tilted or shaken, the forces acting on the liquid will change and the equilibrium will be disrupted. Additionally, if the surface tension of the liquid is altered, such as by adding soap, the equilibrium will be affected.</p>

Related to Shell and Liquid Forces: Exploring Equilibrium in a Hemispherical Container

1. What is equilibrium in a hemispherical container?

Equilibrium in a hemispherical container refers to the state in which the liquid inside the container is evenly distributed and there is no net force acting on the liquid or the container. This means that the liquid is not moving or changing shape.

2. How does the shape of the container affect the equilibrium of the liquid inside?

The shape of the container plays a crucial role in determining the equilibrium of the liquid inside. In a hemispherical container, the curved shape of the container allows for a more even distribution of the liquid, resulting in a stable equilibrium. If the container has a different shape, such as a cylinder, the liquid may not be evenly distributed and the equilibrium may be unstable.

3. What forces are involved in maintaining equilibrium in a hemispherical container?

The two main forces involved in maintaining equilibrium in a hemispherical container are the gravitational force and the surface tension force. The gravitational force pulls the liquid downwards, while the surface tension force acts to minimize the surface area of the liquid. When these two forces are balanced, the liquid remains in equilibrium.

4. How does the volume of liquid affect equilibrium in a hemispherical container?

The volume of liquid in a hemispherical container does not affect the equilibrium as long as the container is not completely filled. As long as there is enough space for the liquid to move and redistribute, the equilibrium will remain stable. However, if the container is completely filled, the liquid may overflow and the equilibrium will be disrupted.

5. Can the equilibrium in a hemispherical container be disrupted?

Yes, the equilibrium in a hemispherical container can be disrupted if external forces are applied. For example, if the container is tilted or shaken, the forces acting on the liquid will change and the equilibrium will be disrupted. Additionally, if the surface tension of the liquid is altered, such as by adding soap, the equilibrium will be affected.