Share Your Regrets: Gain Wisdom from Others

• Thread starter khemix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gain
In summary, the dying man regrets spending less time worrying about the small things in life and more time worrying about the big things.
khemix
Post your regrets in life so that other users may gain wisdom from them and not follow your path (if applicable).

I'm only in my early 20s so my list is not as full, but here goes. I regret not studying more in my younger years, I was much more interested in video games and popular music. I regret not asking Katie out, who was a girl I really really liked in high school (its been 5 years and she pops up in my head now and then). I regret mandibular surgery, because looking back at my young pictures, it wasn't necessary at all. Lastly, I regret going to a prestigious school. 4 of my best friends went to a different school, and I really miss them. They are also having much more fun than I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
i regret clicking on this thread

I regret reading the comment made by proton soup.
Now I regret writing the comment I made above.
khemix,why don't you try to get in touch with Katie and why not get your surgery unfixed?

I regret letting my dad decide what I would major in.

I don't really regret anything in my life, but then again I'm still relatively young!

cristo,isnt it strange that us oldies and mouldies often have delusions of being mere spring chickens?

Evo said:
I regret letting my dad decide what I would major in.

That's interesting because I once heard one of the bosses I worked with say something about having the final say on what his daughters were majoring in since he was the one paying the bills. I've always wondered if that was a fairly common thing. What major would you have preferred?

runner said:
That's interesting because I once heard one of the bosses I worked with say something about having the final say on what his daughters were majoring in since he was the one paying the bills. I've always wondered if that was a fairly common thing. What major would you have preferred?
My dad was that way, he said since he was paying, I had to do what he decided.

I had an equal passion for astronomy and archaeology. My dad said neither of those were practical. :frown:

I think you need to move on from this Katie girl. Like, 5 years.

Anyways, the list of things that I don't regret is longer than the list of things I do regret. As long as it stays that way, I think I'm doing ok.

Note: I do regret blowing away lots of money in the summer. I lived well beyond my means for 3 months.

Evo said:

I had an equal passion for astronomy and archaeology. My dad said neither of those were practical. :frown:
They are if you want to be an astronomer or archaeologist.

Evo said:

Do you think it would have mattered to your mom? This makes me wonder if dads are more practical than moms when it comes to their kids' futures? How will that experience affect your future decision if you have to pay for your child's tuition?

runner said:
Do you think it would have mattered to your mom? This makes me wonder if dads are more practical than moms when it comes to their kids' futures? How will that experience affect your future decision if you have to pay for your child's tuition?
My mom thought I should do what I wanted.

My kids are taking what they want, I am encouraging them to go into whatever field they will be happy in.

I have a few, but then again, too few to mention ...

Sorry couldn't resist :-p

In primary school, this kid punched me in the face. I didn't punch him back because I was scared of getting into trouble for fighting. I regret not trying to beat the krap out of him, the most trouble we would have got into was a couple of days suspension from 7th grade, wooow.

khemix said:
I'm only in my early 20s so my list is not as full, but here goes. I regret not studying more in my younger years, I was much more interested in video games and popular music.

I regret losing my younger years to the books (@ 21). :-p.

On http://blog.rogersradiointernet.com/donjackson/", I heard a story about dying man who wrote something like if he were to live again, he would see more sunsets. He would regret less in his life. He would only worry about the real problems. ...
It was beautiful but I missed the source :frown: I am going to find it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Regret is for things you have control over.

But there is a lot of things in my life I had no control over, but wish turned out differently. That far outweighs anything I could have done differently. That's why have no regrets.

I regret not going to med school so that I could capitalize on the economic crisis rather than suffering from it. Oh well, at lest I can ride it out in grad school.

I regret not marrying a doctor so I could go back to school and get the degrees I want. Although I did date a guy at NASA that was the Governor's something or other for Astronomy and held "star parties" where people would take their ginormous telescopes out into the country and let people like me look. And he got me invited to several archaeological digs through some of his contacts, unfortunately I couldn't take the time off from work. :frown:

Ok, I regret not marrying him too.

Dadface said:
I regret reading the comment made by proton soup.
Now I regret writing the comment I made above.
khemix,why don't you try to get in touch with Katie and why not get your surgery unfixed?

My surgery didnt go bad, it was just unneccessarily done. There is no pain, it just feels weird having screwes hehe.

Getting in touch with her is not possible at this point, and even if it were how odd would that be. I don't obsess about her or anything, its just once every few weeks I fall into deep thoughts about her. I know that's creepy and all, but it stays in my head. I dated 2 girls since then, but as soon its over I go back to her. I guess my advice is always ask her out, because you will regret it.

I don't think people should regret the experiences they have, you can always learn something from them and not make the same mistake in the future.

Kurdt said:
I don't think people should regret the experiences they have, you can always learn something from them and not make the same mistake in the future.

I agree, Kurdt. It's easier to live with regret over something you did, than to live with regret over something you didn't do. Better to err on the side of audacity.

I regret nothing, oddly :) But than again, I'm only 18 so that might change someday.

lisab said:
I agree, Kurdt. It's easier to live with regret over something you did, than to live with regret over something you didn't do. Better to err on the side of audacity.
Depends on what you did. :wink:

I think the worst regret a person could have is to have never done anything they've regretted.

If you don't regret anything you've done, you need to be a little more daring - or at least drink a little more.

Moi je ne regrette rien, Je me fous du passé.

>Insert I did it my way joke here<

I regret I didn't give school much of a chance, but apart from that there's no use crying over spilt milk.

I regret not having achieved my ambition of working on a production line in a pencil factory.

Dadface said:
I regret not having achieved my ambition of working on a production line in a pencil factory.

There's still time, don't give up on your dream, it may be a high prestige industry but people retire all the time. I've lived the dream, I've worked in a factory packaging meat paste, once you've been on the mountain, well its hard not to regret it but I manage.

Thank you The Dagda,I was going through a crisis of confidence but I found your words to be motivational and inspirational.

I quit playing baseball as a kid. I was actually quite good and even got invited to play in special tournaments with kids around the country. My friends who continued to play later received great scholarships including a full ride to texas A&M. I'm quite sure I could have gotten at least something...

mbisCool said:
I quit playing baseball as a kid. I was actually quite good and even got invited to play in special tournaments with kids around the country. My friends who continued to play later received great scholarships including a full ride to texas A&M. I'm quite sure I could have gotten at least something...

I know what you mean I was going to play for Liverpool FC or maybe Southampton, but unfortunately I was crap at football. Look at it this way, at least you avoided the pay disputes over million dollar sums, steroids and the hookers, the coke parties and all that. Er wait what am I saying! My heart goes out to you. :smile:

Related to Share Your Regrets: Gain Wisdom from Others

What is "Share Your Regrets: Gain Wisdom from Others"?

"Share Your Regrets: Gain Wisdom from Others" is a research study that aims to understand the regrets people have in life and how sharing these regrets can lead to gaining wisdom and learning from others' experiences.

Why is it important to share regrets?

Sharing regrets allows individuals to reflect on their past experiences and learn from their mistakes. It also allows others to learn from these experiences and potentially avoid making similar mistakes in their own lives.

What is the methodology used in this study?

This study uses a combination of surveys and interviews to collect data from individuals about their regrets and experiences. The data is then analyzed to identify common themes and patterns.

What are the potential benefits of participating in this study?

By participating in this study, individuals have the opportunity to reflect on their regrets and potentially gain insight and wisdom from others' experiences. Additionally, the results of this study can contribute to a better understanding of how regrets can shape our lives and how we can learn from them.

How can the results of this study be used?

The results of this study can be used to inform individuals, organizations, and society as a whole about the importance of sharing regrets and learning from them. It can also provide insights on how to cope with regrets and make more informed decisions in the future.