Shape of a drop on a flat surface

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the shape of a drop on a flat surface while maintaining constant volume. One suggested approach is using the Young-Laplace equation to find the surface with the minimum possible curvature, but it is unclear how to calculate this or if it is the correct approach.
Alucard666

Homework Statement

Dear all,
I am trying to find find out the shape of a drop on a flat surface. The requirement is the constant volume of the drop.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for the solution I must find out the minimum of total energy that is composed of potential energy (proportional to the height of the drop) and the surface energy (proportional to the surface). How to calculate that?

Physics news on Phys.org
One possible approach is to use the Young-Laplace equation, which states that the pressure difference between two sides of a curved surface, is proportional to the curvature of the surface. The minimum of the total energy should be obtained by finding a surface with the minimum possible curvature. However, I am not sure how to calculate this or even if this is the correct approach.

Related to Shape of a drop on a flat surface

What is the shape of a drop on a flat surface?

The shape of a drop on a flat surface is generally spherical or circular. This is due to the surface tension of the liquid, which causes it to minimize its surface area.

Why does a drop take on a spherical shape on a flat surface?

As mentioned before, the surface tension of the liquid causes it to minimize its surface area. A sphere has the smallest surface area compared to any other shape, making it the most stable shape for a drop on a flat surface.

Can the shape of a drop on a flat surface change?

Yes, the shape of a drop on a flat surface can change depending on the properties of the liquid and the surface it is on. For example, if the surface is hydrophobic, the drop may spread out more and take on a flatter shape.

How does gravity affect the shape of a drop on a flat surface?

Gravity plays a role in the shape of a drop on a flat surface by pulling the liquid downward. This can cause the drop to elongate or even break apart if it becomes too large.

What factors can affect the shape of a drop on a flat surface?

The shape of a drop on a flat surface can be influenced by various factors such as the surface tension of the liquid, the properties of the surface it is on, gravity, and any external forces acting on the drop.