Shankar Page 153: 5.1.10 & 5.1.11 Meaning - Delta Function?

• Thread starter Ratzinger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shankar
In summary: That's why I was confused about the delta function in 5.1.10.In summary, the equations in 5.1.10 and 5.1.11 are for a delta function.
Ratzinger
Would someone mind opening his or her Shankar page 153 and tell me what (5.1.10) and (5.1.11) exactly mean? Does (5.1.10) stand for a delta function?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
which Shankar book are you talking about? The "Principles of quantum mechanics"? I have one (1st edition) here, but equation (5.1.10) and (5.1.11) are on page 161 and deal with propagators.

Do you have the second edition?

Why don't you write the equations out for us in LaTeX and we can then figure out what they are, since most people probably don't have this book. You will get a lot more help.
Cheers,
Ryan

Why don't you scan in the page so we can have a look.

it's the second edition of "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and unfortunately I haven't learned the Latex thing yet and neither do I have a scanner...it's the free particle propagator represented in position space which multiplied with a wave function at t=0 under an integral over space gives the wave function at a later time

it's really only a kids question for you guys

They are evolution equations, when t->0, (5.1.10) really stands for
a delta function.

Are these the equations?

(5.1.10)
[tex]U(x,t;x')\equiv \langle x|U(t)|x' \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\langle x|p\rangle \langle p|x' \rangle e^{-ip^2t/2m\hbar}dp
=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ip(x-x')/\hbar} \cdot e^{-ip^2t/2m\hbar}dp=\left(\frac{m}{2\pi \hbar it}\right)^{1/2}e^{im(x-x')^2/2\hbar t[/tex]

(5.1.11)
[tex]\psi(x,t)=\int U(x,t;x')\psi(x',0)dx'[/tex]

Galileo said:
Are these the equations?

(5.1.10)
[tex]U(x,t;x')\equiv \langle x|U(t)|x' \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\langle x|p\rangle \langle p|x' \rangle e^{-ip^2t/2m\hbar}dp
=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ip(x-x')/\hbar} \cdot e^{-ip^2t/2m\hbar}dp=\left(\frac{m}{2\pi \hbar it}\right)^{1/2}e^{im(x-x')^2/2\hbar t[/tex]

(5.1.11)
[tex]\psi(x,t)=\int U(x,t;x')\psi(x',0)dx'[/tex]

These are the equations. Thanks Galileo, thanks snooper007, thanks everbody else. I will learn Latex now.

My trouble was that I thought wave(x,t)=propagator acts on wave(x,0), without any integral.

Related to Shankar Page 153: 5.1.10 & 5.1.11 Meaning - Delta Function?

What is the meaning of "Shankar Page 153: 5.1.10 & 5.1.11 Meaning - Delta Function"?

The title refers to a specific section in a book called "Shankar" on page 153, which discusses the meaning of the delta function in mathematics.

What is the delta function?

The delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for all values of x except when x is 0, where it is defined as infinity. Essentially, it is a function that is used to represent an "impulse" or instantaneous change in a system.

What is the significance of the delta function?

The delta function is significant because it allows us to model and analyze systems that involve sudden changes or impulses. It is also used in many areas of physics, engineering, and mathematics, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and differential equations.

How is the delta function used in mathematics?

In mathematics, the delta function is often used as a "distribution" or a generalized function. It is used to define other functions, such as the Heaviside step function and the Dirac delta distribution. It is also used in integration and solving differential equations.

What are some real-world applications of the delta function?

The delta function has many real-world applications, such as in signal processing for analyzing sudden changes in signals, in quantum mechanics for representing "wave packets" of particles, and in engineering for modeling impulse responses in systems. It is also used in probability and statistics for representing discrete probability distributions.