SFU Honors Physics vs uAlberta Physics Major

In summary: Cambridge. Dictionary defines "graduate school" as "a college or a college department where students who already have a first degree are taught". I think that, by "a first degree", they meant a first bachelor degree. Thus with a completed & succeeded college diploma in sciences, no honest university will consider a demand of admission in a post-bachelor (also known as graduate studies) program.I suggest you to do the proper self preparation and the prerequisite courses, maybe at UA ( www.athabascau.ca) in order to start a degree specialized in physics because opportunities of career as teacher in Canada.
ingrammatical
Hi PhysicsForums,
I just finished my second year at a Canadian community college (Langara) with a 3.8/4.33 gpa for the year and am currently weighing my options for universities. The universities I'm considering are uAlberta, SFU, and uVic. As I understand, the physics programs at these universities are ranked uAlberta > SFU > uVic. However, I did rather badly in my first year at the CC, and because of this, I am ineligible for the Honors Physics program at uAlberta.

My question is which path would be better to actualize my grad-school intentions, attending honors physics at SFU or the general degree program at uAlberta?

Physics news on Phys.org
ingrammatical said:
Hi PhysicsForums,
I just finished my second year at a Canadian community college (Langara) with a 3.8/4.33 gpa for the year and am currently weighing my options for universities. The universities I'm considering are uAlberta, SFU, and uVic. As I understand, the physics programs at these universities are ranked uAlberta > SFU > uVic. However, I did rather badly in my first year at the CC, and because of this, I am ineligible for the Honors Physics program at uAlberta.

My question is which path would be better to actualize my grad-school intentions, attending honors physics at SFU or the general degree program at uAlberta?
I suggest you to do the proper self preparation and the prerequisite courses, maybe at UA ( www.athabascau.ca) in order to start a degree specialized in physics because opportunities of career as teacher in Canada.

theBin said:
I suggest you to do the proper self preparation and the prerequisite courses, maybe at UA ( www.athabascau.ca) in order to start a degree specialized in physics because opportunities of career as teacher in Canada.
Is this your way of saying I have no chance of grad school admission? Because transfer credit is not the problem. Langara transfers just fine to major universities in BC (see bctransferguide.ca).

To reiterate, my question is whether it would be more advantageous for me to do the honors program at a smaller school (SFU) or the non-honors at a larger university and try to get research experience outside of the undergraduate thesis.

ingrammatical said:
Is this your way of saying I have no chance of grad school admission? Because transfer credit is not the problem. Langara transfers just fine to major universities in BC (see bctransferguide.ca).

To reiterate, my question is whether it would be more advantageous for me to do the honors program at a smaller school (SFU) or the non-honors at a larger university and try to get research experience outside of the undergraduate thesis.
Cambridge dictionary defines "graduate school" as "a college or a college department where students who already have a first degree are taught". I think that, by "a first degree", they meant a first bachelor degree. Thus with a completed & succeeded college diploma in sciences, no honest university will consider a demand of admission in a post-bachelor (also known as graduate studies) program. ________________________________________ I assume that by "research experience outside of the undergraduate thesis" you mean experience: 1) at the laboratory or factory or blasting/explosin site of an employer; 2) in student's training course at the work place. Both have as much value as a thesis, at the condition that an engineer (in physics or in mechanics or in electricity) supervise you and assigns some readings to do in a professional handbook/reference-book. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ It is better to do a specialized, or a honors in physics B.Sc. for whoever plans to work several decades in the research in physics. The master in physics is required to open your own laboratory or investigation agency. The Ph.D. is required for teaching, supervising persons preparing a thesis, and writting a university textbook _the inescapable functions of a university professor_. Go to SFU where you will succeed and be much appreciated.

I've also gotten an acceptance from UBC now, but I can't attend honors there either :(
I need to decide by june 1st, can someone who's not a bot help me with this decision.

ingrammatical said:
can someone who's not a bot help me with this decision

Do you think ingratitude will motivate people to reply?

Sorry vanadium, but theBin's posts didn't really strike me as indicative that he had really read more than the title
theBin said:
nor this
theBin said:
Cambridge dictionary defines "graduate school" as "a college or a college department where students who already have a first degree are taught". .

TheBin's posts on other threads are similarly unhelpful

So your position is that your ingratitude is fully justified? Do you think that will motivate people to reply?

To the OP:

I'm not that familiar with the honours program system at U Alberta or UBC (my alma mater is U of T, which has a different system related to honours programs), but my understanding is that whether you quality depends on one's grades in their first year (roughly equivalent to classes you've taken at community college).

If I were you, I would suggest you attend the honours program at SFU, which is an excellent school. However, before you decide I would suggest that you ask the registrar or other people at U Alberta and UBC to see if it is possible to transfer from a general program to an honours program (in some schools, this would be possible contingent on the grades you earn while in the general program).

StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

I'm not that familiar with the honours program system at U Alberta or UBC (my alma mater is U of T, which has a different system related to honours programs), but my understanding is that whether you quality depends on one's grades in their first year (roughly equivalent to classes you've taken at community college).

If I were you, I would suggest you attend the honours program at SFU, which is an excellent school. However, before you decide I would suggest that you ask the registrar or other people at U Alberta and UBC to see if it is possible to transfer from a general program to an honours program (in some schools, this would be possible contingent on the grades you earn while in the general program).
Thanks for the reply statguy,

I already talked to the UBC physics dept, they said that I "can try to appeal to Science Information Centre at the end of your 2nd year at UBC [but] there is no guarantee." The impression I got from my response is that even if I make good grades there are no promises - which is a bit iffy for my liking. I'm still waiting on a response from uAlberta about the same question.

Honestly though, your response makes me feel a lot better about attending sfu. Several of my friends are going there for engineering, but I was a little worried about the quality of the physics program since it's a lesser known school.

Related to SFU Honors Physics vs uAlberta Physics Major

1) What is the difference between SFU Honors Physics and uAlberta Physics Major?

SFU Honors Physics is a program offered by Simon Fraser University that focuses on preparing students for graduate studies in physics. It includes a research project and advanced coursework in physics. uAlberta Physics Major, on the other hand, is a program offered by the University of Alberta that focuses on developing students' understanding of fundamental concepts and theories in physics.

2) Which program is more research-oriented?

Both SFU Honors Physics and uAlberta Physics Major have a strong emphasis on research. However, SFU Honors Physics has a mandatory research project component, while uAlberta Physics Major offers opportunities for research through optional courses and internships.

3) Is one program more prestigious than the other?

Both SFU Honors Physics and uAlberta Physics Major are well-respected programs in the field of physics. The prestige of a program ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals.

4) Which program has better job prospects?

Both SFU Honors Physics and uAlberta Physics Major prepare students for careers in various fields, including research, education, and industry. The job prospects for each program may vary depending on the current market demand and the individual's skills and experiences.

5) Can I transfer between SFU Honors Physics and uAlberta Physics Major?

It is possible to transfer between SFU Honors Physics and uAlberta Physics Major, but it is subject to each university's transfer policies. It is recommended to consult with the program advisors at both universities for more information.