Sexual taboos or privacy: which came first?

• Thread starter brainstorm
  • Start date
In summary, the culture of secrecy/privacy around sexuality is related to sexual taboos. This creates a culture of secrecy/privacy that protects sexuality from public scrutiny and social control, but it may also be used to increase desire for privacy and secrecy.
brainstorm
I've been playing with this idea that the culture of secrecy/privacy is related to sexual taboos, but maybe in ways more complex than generally thought. Obviously, if sexuality is taboo then people will either avoid it or keep it a secret. Since it is such a strong drive, however, it seems more likely to me that the taboo creates a culture of secrecy/privacy more so than it prevents actual behaviors.

Now my question is whether the culture of secrecy/privacy, which involves such things as unspoken agreement not to ask or tell about sexual activities, etc. has evolved purely to protect sexuality from public scrutiny and social control OR whether sex has evolved as an impetus for creating and maintaining such a culture by increasing desire for privacy/secrecy. In other words, is sex used to eroticize privacy and secrets, and are privacy and secrecy themselves actually in service of other forms of power?

The question then becomes, what other forms of power benefit from privacy and secrecy? My guess would be that to maintain arbitrary social power that relies on avoiding contestations of authority, a culture of privacy/secrecy helps insofar as open democratic challenges to power will be avoided or ignored with the idea that real power only takes place covertly. In fact, this seems more to be a complete disarming of democratic means of contesting power, since it is unlikely that any effective social-political discourse can occur in private settings with an emphasis on secrecy.

So I don't think that the culture evolved to get people to keep quiet about sex but rather to use sexuality to get people to keep quiet. It is political repression that takes you, literally, "by the balls."

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you implying a conspiracy where people are enforcing their secret by taking the inherent secrecy of sex and using it to make secrets sexy? Doesn't that seem a little far fetched?

Pattonias said:
Are you implying a conspiracy where people are enforcing their secret by taking the inherent secrecy of sex and using it to make secrets sexy? Doesn't that seem a little far fetched?

I highly doubt that it would be the result of a planned conspiracy. More likely it would be the result of a natural evolutionary process of culture. It's not that secrets are sexy so much that secrecy and privacy are associated with sex and therefore eroticized. The question is why sexuality has remained "in the closet" for the most part, even to the high degree it is talked about in a general sense. There is a preservation of shame for being caught or just having intimate details about your personal sexuality known publicly. Then this is coupled with a more general taboo against public openness regarding airing proverbial "dirty laundry."

The distinction between public/private and the premium on secret-keeping are generally known. The question to me is whether sex is just coincidentally part of a more general culture or whether it plays a formative role in establishing and maintaining the culture. Clearly, managing pleasure and shame are part of the culture, and structuring who says what to whom under what circumstances is the other part. I'm just not sure about the details.

1. What are sexual taboos?

Sexual taboos are social or cultural restrictions or prohibitions on certain sexual behavior or practices. These can vary greatly across different societies and can include anything from restrictions on who can engage in sexual activity to prohibitions on specific sexual acts or behaviors.

2. What is privacy?

Privacy refers to the right to keep certain information or aspects of one's life private and away from public scrutiny. It can include personal information, intimate details, and activities that an individual does not wish to share with others.

3. Which came first, sexual taboos or privacy?

It is difficult to determine which came first, as both concepts have been present throughout human history. However, it is likely that privacy came first, as individuals have always had a desire to keep certain aspects of their lives private, including their sexual behavior. Sexual taboos may have developed as a way to enforce privacy and maintain social control over certain behaviors.

4. How do sexual taboos and privacy intersect?

Sexual taboos and privacy intersect in that both deal with the regulation and control of sexual behavior. Privacy allows individuals to keep their sexual behavior private, while sexual taboos dictate which behaviors are considered acceptable or taboo within a society. In some cases, sexual taboos may be used to protect privacy, while in others, they may be used to invade privacy by dictating what individuals can and cannot do in their private lives.

5. Do sexual taboos and privacy have a purpose?

Both sexual taboos and privacy serve a purpose in society. Sexual taboos can help maintain social order and norms, while privacy allows individuals to have control over their personal lives and information. However, these concepts can also be used to oppress and control individuals, and it is important to critically examine their origins and impact on society.