Setting up binary star (light density based on distance) problem

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment involving a binary star system in a vector calc class. The goal is to find a formula for the light intensity 'L' at a given point 'P' in rectangular coordinates, using the distances from the two stars as variables. The conversation also includes suggestions for finding D1 and D2 in rectangular coordinates by drawing vectors from the origin and from the second star to a specific point on a graph. There is also mention of potentially finding the formula in spherical coordinates.
oogabuga
For my vector calc class we were given an assingment to do some stuff with a binary star system. You might note the lack of vectors and the lack of calc; this is because I am just having an issue with the setup. I am sure I can get the rest without assistance.

We are given the two stars of equal light intensity. One at the origin and the other at (0,0,14).

The light intensity 'L' at a point 'P' is given with L=(1/(D1^2))+(1/(D2)^2), where D1 and D2 are the distances from the two stars.

So what is a formula for L in rectangular coordinates (x,y,z)?

I tried playing around with with the equation for an ellipsoid for a while but that seemed fruitless. Also a sphere (with rad = sqrut(D1^2+D2^2), but gave up on that.

Any pointers? If you are feeling ambitious I will also need to find this is spherical coordinates, but I have yet to play with that myself...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what is [tex]D1[/tex] and [tex]D2[/tex] in rectangular coordinates? Draw a graph and put the two stars on it. Then put a random point on the graph at [tex] (x_0, y_0,z_0) [/tex]. To find [tex] D_1[/tex] draw a vector from the origin (where star 1 is) to the point. What is the magnitude of this vector? To find [tex] D_2 [/tex] draw a vector from [tex] (0,0,14)[/tex] (star 2) to [tex] (x_0,y_0,z_0) [/tex]. What is the magnitude of this vector?

Last edited:

Related to Setting up binary star (light density based on distance) problem

1. What is a binary star system?

A binary star system is a pair of stars that are gravitationally bound and orbit around each other. They may appear as one star to the naked eye, but can be distinguished through telescopes or by analyzing their light spectra.

2. How are binary star systems formed?

Binary star systems are formed when a cloud of gas and dust collapses under its own gravity, creating two or more protostars. These protostars then continue to grow and eventually become stars that orbit each other.

3. How can we determine the light density of a binary star system based on distance?

The light density of a binary star system can be calculated by using the inverse square law. This law states that the intensity of light decreases as the distance from the source increases. By measuring the distance between the two stars and the amount of light received from each star, we can calculate the light density.

4. What are the different types of binary star systems?

There are several types of binary star systems, including visual binaries, spectroscopic binaries, eclipsing binaries, and astrometric binaries. Visual binaries can be seen as two distinct stars, while spectroscopic binaries are identified through their light spectra. Eclipsing binaries are characterized by one star passing in front of the other, causing a decrease in the total amount of light received. Astrometric binaries are identified by the wobble in the position of one star caused by the gravitational pull of the other.

5. Why do scientists study binary star systems?

Binary star systems provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of stars. By studying their properties, such as mass, age, and distance, we can gain a better understanding of the processes that govern the universe. They also serve as important tools for measuring the distances to other galaxies and for testing theories of gravity and stellar evolution.