Technical name for the moon is Irene

• Thread starter numberPI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses the technical name for the moon, with one person arguing that it is Irene while others suggest it is Luna or Selene. The website provided shows that Luna is the most commonly used name, but Irene and Selene are also used. However, astronomers do not use Irene as the technical name for the Earth's moon. The conversation ends with a clarification on the Greek and Latin names for the moon.
numberPI
Hi, I am new to physicsforums.com
I was just discussing with a friend that says that the real or technical name for the moon is Irene. I don't really know any about this :grumpy: ... can anyone help?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
uhh.. I thought it was Luna..?

yeah, Luna is moon in spanish, but my friend argues the technical name for the moon is Irene.

Take a look at this site:
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/space_mailbag_moon_030725-1.html

"Quite a few readers were somewhat taken aback by the whole suggestion that the Moon needs a name. It's "Luna," they state flatly, and always has been. In our very unofficial count, Luna beat Moon by nearly 2:1"

Sounds like the jury's still out!

Last edited by a moderator:
numberPI said:
yeah, Luna is moon in spanish, but my friend argues the technical name for the moon is Irene.

Irene comes from the greek word for peace, IIRC.

It is not the technical name for the Earth's moon. that is, astronomers do not use the name Irene for the Earth's moon.

However your friend has a perfect right to call the moon Irene and i like this name for it very much---please relay compliments and congratulations on such an excellent naming of the moon.

Luna is the Latin word for the moon. Just as Terra is the Latin for Earth.
Selene is Greek for moon.
Maybe he was thinking of Selene and accidentally said Irene.

ohhh ok! thanks marcus and math is hard for your help!

1. What is the technical name for the moon?

The technical name for the moon is Irene.

2. Who named the moon Irene?

The moon was named Irene by the Greek astronomer Galileo Galilei in the 17th century.

3. Why is the moon called Irene?

The moon was named Irene after the Greek goddess of peace and the personification of peace in Greek mythology.

4. Is Irene the only technical name for the moon?

No, Irene is not the only technical name for the moon. There are many different names for the moon in different cultures and languages, such as Luna in Latin, Selene in Greek, and Chandra in Sanskrit.

5. Are there any other celestial bodies named Irene?

Yes, there are other celestial bodies named Irene, such as asteroid 14 Irene and the constellation Coma Berenices, which is also known as "Berenice's Hair" or "Bernice's Locks of Hair", named after Queen Berenice II of Egypt, who was also known as Irene.