Sets and Algebraic Structures, help with equivalence relations

In summary, Q is a group of rational numbers with respect to addition. The relation R is defined on Q where aRb if and only if a-b is an even integer. To prove that R is an equivalence relation, we must show that it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. R is reflexive because a-a=0 which is an even integer. R is symmetric because if aRb, then bRa. And R is transitive because if aRb and bRc, then aRc. Therefore, R is an equivalence relation.
flufles
Let Q be the group of rational numbers with respect to addition. We define a
relation R on Q via aRb if and only if a − b is an even integer. Prove that this is an
equivalence relation.

I am very stumped with this and would welcome any help
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the defining characteristics of an equivalence relation?

ArcanaNoir said:
What are the defining characteristics of an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation that is reflexive, symmetric and transitive.

flufles said:
An equivalence relation is a relation that is reflexive, symmetric and transitive.
Can you prove that R is reflexive, symmetric and transitive?

e(ho0n3 said:
Can you prove that R is reflexive, symmetric and transitive?

I think it is reflexive and symmetric but not transitive but I am not really sure I am looking at i the correct way around.

I would guess it IS transitive because the question asks you to prove it is an equivalence relation, it doesn't ask if it is or isn't.

Let a, b, and c be any rational number. Let j and k be any integer.
To show transitivity:
A-b=2k
B-c=2j
So C=b-2j
So a-c can be written a-b-2j=(a-b)-2j=2k-2j=2(k-j)

Which is 2 times some integer, thus even.

Can you do the other two (reflexive and symmetric)?

Just a tip, you would get more help and sooner if you show what work you have already, even if it's wrong. The more you show you know, the less we ask you silly questions that you do already know, like define an equivalence relation. This will help you get to the answer faster. We love to help here, we just like to make it as much your own discovery as possible, kind of like what you teacher or professor might do.

would reflexive be just as simple as, let a be any rational number. a=a
and symmetric, let a,b be any rational numbers. and again simply a*b=b*a

Thank you for the help and advice =]

Not quite that simple.
aRa iff a-a= 2k. Since a=a, a-a=0 which is even. That is why it is reflexive, not because a=a, but because a relates a. Imagine if the relation was aRb iff a<b. Then, saying a=a implies the relation is reflexive would be wrong, since a does not relate a. So, even if you understood a=a to mean a-a=0 so a relates a, you still have to write it all the way out. That's why a proof is different than just asking if it's true or false.

I'm not sure why you talk about a*b for symmetric. I take that to mean a times b, is that what you mean? Because you are not showing a relates b by talking about multiplying. a relates b iff a-b= even integer. You must show that if a-b = even integer, then b-a = even integer.

ok thank you,
so for the symmetric could you say (let k,j be any integer) a relates b iff a-b=even integer

a=2k and b=2j and so a-b=2k-2j=even integer
and b-a=2j-2k=even integer

You can't say a=2k where k is any integer because a is not necessarily an even integer, it is only necessarily a rational number. For example, 5.2-1.2=4, so 5.2 relates 1.2.
So, if a-b=2k, what can you say about b-a=? Just move things around algebraically.

b-a=-2k
yes??

Yes :) and since -2k is also an even integer, if aRb, then bRa.

great thank you very much, it may of taken some time but i got there =]

Related to Sets and Algebraic Structures, help with equivalence relations

1. What are sets and algebraic structures?

Sets are collections of objects or elements that have a particular characteristic in common. Algebraic structures are sets that have operations defined on them, such as addition and multiplication, that follow certain rules.

2. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation between elements in a set that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This means that for any element in the set, it is related to itself, it is related to any other element that is related to it, and if two elements are related to each other, then any element related to one is also related to the other.

3. How are equivalence relations used in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are used to classify objects in a set into different equivalence classes. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the relationships between elements in a set. Equivalence relations are also used in various mathematical proofs and constructions.

4. Can you give an example of an equivalence relation?

One example of an equivalence relation is the relation of congruence in modular arithmetic. If two numbers have the same remainder when divided by a certain number, they are considered congruent and belong to the same equivalence class. For example, 5 and 12 are congruent mod 7 because they both have a remainder of 5 when divided by 7.

5. How are equivalence relations related to partitions?

Equivalence relations can be used to create partitions, which are subsets of a set that are mutually exclusive and cover the entire set. Each equivalence class in an equivalence relation forms a partition of the original set, with elements in the same class belonging to the same partition. This allows for a clear and organized way of categorizing elements in a set.