How Do You Set Up Double Integrals Over a Semicircular Region?

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the region is a semicircle bounded by y = {4 - x^2}, y = 0, and the integral can be written in two ways using horizontal and vertical strips, respectively, yielding the same result of 4 pi.
harpazo
Set up an integral for both orders of integration.
DO NOT EVALUATE THE INTEGRAL.

Let S S = double integrals

Let R = region

S S (x^2 + y^2) dA

R: semicircle bounded by y = {4 - x^2}, y = 0

I can graph the region but have no idea how to proceed from there. I need solution steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
Set up an integral for both orders of integration.
DO NOT EVALUATE THE INTEGRAL.

Let S S = double integrals

Let R = region

S S (x^2 + y^2) dA

R: semicircle bounded by y = {4 - x^2}, y = 0

I can graph the region but have no idea how to proceed from there. I need solution steps.

We should first note that the two boundary functions intersect at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} (2, 0) \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} (-2, 0) \end{align*}$, so if we use vertical strips, then they will go from x = -2 to x = 2. Each strip is bounded below by y = 0 and bounded above by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \sqrt{4 - x^2} \end{align*}$, so that means our region of integration is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq y \leq \sqrt{4 - x^2} \end{align*}$ with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -2 \leq x \leq 2 \end{align*}$

Thank you everyone.

Let's look at the region over which we are to integrate:

View attachment 6553

If we use horizontal strips, we see they are bounded on the left by $x=-\sqrt{4-y^2}$ and on the right by $x=\sqrt{4-y^2}$, however, we find the integrand is an even function so we may use the first quadrant area, and double it. We also see the strips run from $y=0$ to $y=2$, and so our integral becomes:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_0^2\int_0^{\sqrt{4-y^2}} x^2+y^2\,dx\,dy\)

Evaluating, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{2}{3}\int_0^2\left(\left[x^3+3xy^2\right]_0^{\sqrt{4-y^2}}\right)\,dy=\frac{2}{3}\int_0^2 (4-y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}+3y^2(4-y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}\,dy=4\pi\)

Now if we use vertical strips, we see they are bounded on the bottom by $y=0$ and on the top by $y=\sqrt{4-x^2}$, and run from $x=-2$ to $x=2$, although we may employ the same even function symmetry we used before, to write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_0^2 \int_0^{\sqrt{4-x^2}} x^2+y^2\,dy\,dx=4\pi\)

We see that in this integral because of the symmetry of the region over quadrants I and II, and the even-symmetry of the integrand, the two dummy variable of integration can simply be interchanged. :D

Attachments

• di_region_4.png
    di_region_4.png
    3 KB · Views: 96
Thank you everyone.

In the original post we are told that the region is "the semicircle bounded by y = {4 - x^2}, y = 0". But that is not a semi-circle, it is a parabolic region. Every one assumed that what was meant was \(\displaystyle y= \sqrt{4- x^2}\). Is that correct?

HallsofIvy said:
In the original post we are told that the region is "the semicircle bounded by y = {4 - x^2}, y = 0". But that is not a semi-circle, it is a parabolic region. Every one assumed that what was meant was \(\displaystyle y= \sqrt{4- x^2}\). Is that correct?

Yes, you are right.
It should be y = sqrt{4 - x^2}.

Harpazo said:
Yes, you are right.
It should be y = sqrt{4 - x^2}.

I didn't notice before, but you share some striking similarities with another user here:

• Sometimes writes a square root as {x}.
  • States that $\LaTeX$ sometimes hides behind text.
  • Says "Thank you everyone."
  • Has the same IP address.
Coincidence? (Thinking)

MarkFL said:
I didn't notice before, but you share some striking similarities with another user here:

• Sometimes writes a square root as {x}.
  • States that $\LaTeX$ sometimes hides behind text.
  • Says "Thank you everyone."
  • Has the same IP address.
Coincidence? (Thinking)

Yes, coincidence.

Harpazo said:
Yes, coincidence.

v66zf.jpg

(Rock) (Bandit)

Moving on...

Related to How Do You Set Up Double Integrals Over a Semicircular Region?

1. What is the purpose of setting up double integrals?

The purpose of setting up double integrals is to calculate the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It involves breaking down the surface into smaller, manageable pieces and summing up their volumes using integration.

2. How do you determine the boundaries for a double integral?

The boundaries for a double integral are determined by the limits of integration for each variable. These limits can be found by considering the region of integration and identifying the curves or lines that define its boundaries.

3. Can the order of integration be changed in a double integral?

Yes, the order of integration can be changed in a double integral. This is known as changing the order of integration or switching the order of integration. It involves rewriting the integral in terms of the other variable and reversing the limits of integration.

4. What is the relationship between double integrals and volume?

Double integrals can be used to calculate the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. By breaking down the surface into smaller pieces and summing up their volumes, the total volume can be determined using integration.

5. Are there any applications of double integrals in real life?

Yes, double integrals have many real-life applications. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the moment of inertia, center of mass, and work done by a force. They are also used in economics to calculate consumer and producer surplus.