15.2.30 Where R is the is the region in Q1 & Q4

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary: Re: Evaluate the following integralIn summary, the integral is trying to find the area of a region bounded by a semicircle.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\textsf{ Evaluate the following integral }$
$\textsf{where $R$ is the is the region in $Q1$ & $Q4$}$
$\textsf{bounded by the semicircle of radius 2 centered at (0,0).}\\$

\begin{align*}\displaystyle
I&=\iint\limits_{R} x^4 y \, dA
\end{align*}
how can this produce a semicircle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: 15.2.30 where R is the is the region in Q1 & Q4

karush said:
$\textsf{ evaluate the following integral }$
$\textsf{where $r$ is the is the region in $q1$ & $q4$}$
$\textsf{bounded by the semicircle of radius 2 centered at (0,0).}\\$

\begin{align*}\displaystyle
i&=\iint\limits_{r} x^4 y \, da
\end{align*}
how can this produce a semicircle?
I guess the quadrants are numbered in an anticlockwise order, starting with the positive quadrant. So the semicircle would be the half of the circle that lies to the right of the $y$-axis.
Code:
    |    
 q2 | q1 
____|____
    |    
 q3 | q4 
    |

​ok I don' t see where a half circle comes from

karush said:
​ok I don' t see where a half circle comes from
The circle is the one given in the question, the circle of radius 2 centred at the origin. So you want the right-hand half of that circle. The region $R$ is bounded by that semicircle together with the part of the $y$-axis between $(0,-2)$ and $(0,2)$.

yes but what is $x^4y$ ?

karush said:
yes but what is $x^4y$ ?
That is the function that you want to integrate over the region $R$. You will want to use polar coordinates, so $x^4y$ will become $r^5\cos^4\theta\sin\theta$. Form the double integral of that function over $R$.

Opalg said:
That is the function that you want to integrate over the region $R$. You will want to use polar coordinates, so $x^4y$ will become $r^5\cos^4\theta\sin\theta$. Form the double integral of that function over $R$.

OK I'm stabbing in the dark on this one:confused:

$\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1} \int_{2\pi/3}^{\pi/2} r^5\cos^4\theta\sin\theta \,dx\,dy$

karush said:
OK I'm stabbing in the dark on this one:confused:

$\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1} \int_{2\pi/3}^{\pi/2} r^5\cos^4\theta\sin\theta \,dx\,dy$
Sorry to have to say it, but just about everything is wrong there.

The region $R$ is the right-hand half of a disc of radius 2 centred at the origin. In terms of polar coordinates, $R$ consists of the points whose polar coordinates $[r,\theta]$ satisfy $0\leqslant r \leqslant 2$ and $-\pi/2 \leqslant\theta\leqslant \pi/2.$ That gives you the limits for the integral, namely \(\displaystyle \int_0^2 \!\!\!\ldots\, dr\) for the $r$-integral and \(\displaystyle \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\!\!\!\ldots\,d\theta\) for the $\theta$-integral.

Finally, when you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates in a double integral, $dx\,dy$ becomes $r\,dr\,d\theta$.

So your integral should be \(\displaystyle \int_0^2\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} r^6\cos^4\theta\sin\theta \,dr\,d\theta.\)

Opalg said:
So your integral should be \(\displaystyle \int_0^2\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} r^6\cos^4\theta\sin\theta \,dr\,d\theta.\)

do you mean $r^5$ ?

karush said:
do you mean $r^5$ ?
No, it's $r^6$. Four of the six come from $x^4 = r^4\cos^4\theta$, and then there is one each from $y = r\sin\theta$ and $dx\,dy = r\,dr\,d\theta.$

ok, I'm still kinda foggy on this
but similar problems will be soon😎

Related to 15.2.30 Where R is the is the region in Q1 & Q4

What does "15.2.30 Where R is the region in Q1 & Q4" mean?

This phrase is most likely referring to a specific region R within a larger graph or diagram, specifically within the first and fourth quadrants (Q1 & Q4). This notation is commonly used in mathematics and data analysis to specify a particular area of interest.

How do I determine the boundaries of region R in Q1 & Q4?

The boundaries of region R can be determined by identifying the x and y values that define the edges of the region. In Q1, the x values will be positive and the y values will be greater than 0. In Q4, the x values will be negative and the y values will be less than 0. The intersection of these boundaries will define the region R.

What type of data or variables are typically associated with region R in Q1 & Q4?

The type of data or variables associated with region R in Q1 & Q4 will depend on the specific context of the graph or diagram. However, in general, Q1 & Q4 tend to represent positive values for both the x and y axes, so region R may contain data points that are both positive in value.

Why is region R separated into Q1 & Q4 specifically?

The first and fourth quadrants (Q1 & Q4) are typically separated because they represent different types of data. In Q1, the x and y values are both positive, while in Q4, the x values are negative and the y values are positive. This separation helps to organize and analyze data in a more meaningful way.

Can region R in Q1 & Q4 be expanded to include other quadrants?

Yes, region R can be expanded to include other quadrants depending on the specific context of the graph or diagram. However, it is important to note that the boundaries and data associated with region R may change when including additional quadrants, so the definition and interpretation of region R may also change.