Set Theory, Functions. Injective/Surjective

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of functions that are surjective, injective, and neither surjective nor injective. The first part discusses approaching the problem and finding functions that fit these criteria. The second part discusses proving that the product of two bijections is also a bijection, with a link provided for help.
ktheo

Homework Statement

Give f:A→A and g:A→A where f is surjective, g is injective, but f*g is neither surjective nor injecive

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why I can't really think of two... I assume it's easiest to do one in ℝ, but when it comes to producing surjective-non-injective functions in general I tend to do them in Z since I find it easiest. I was thinking to do something involving e^x but I'm not sure. How should I approach this? Should I just think of functions I know are neither onto or one-to-one and work with products to find something?

Homework Statement

Assume that f:A→B and g:C→D are bijections. Prove that f^-1 x g^-1 is the two sided inverse of f x g (and in particular, that f x g is a bijection as well).

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if someone could direct me to a similar proof or point me in the direction of some definitions that can help me here. I don't even know how to structure this into a proof.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Set Theory, Functions. Injective/Surjective

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is used to define and analyze mathematical concepts such as numbers, functions, and relations.

2. What is a function?

A function is a relation between two sets, called the domain and the range, that assigns each element in the domain to exactly one element in the range. It can also be thought of as a rule that maps each input to a unique output.

3. What is an injective function?

An injective function, also known as a one-to-one function, is a function in which each element in the range has a unique preimage in the domain. This means that no two elements in the domain map to the same element in the range.

4. What is a surjective function?

A surjective function, also known as an onto function, is a function in which every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. This means that the range is equal to the entire codomain.

5. What is the difference between injective and surjective functions?

The main difference between injective and surjective functions is that in an injective function, each element in the range has a unique preimage in the domain, while in a surjective function, every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, injective functions have no repeat values in the range, while surjective functions have no missing values in the range.