Set theory: Axioms of Construction

In summary, the question asks for proofs of the constructions of sets a and b, as well as the image of function f, using certain axioms such as Extensionality, Pair Set, Power Set, Union, and Subset. For set a, the construction would be a \ b = {x in a | x not in b}, while for set b, it would be represented as a set of ordered pairs with the condition that each a only maps to one b. The image of function f would be a subset of the function set. The question also asks for the maximum rank of each set, with set a having a maximum rank of alpha and set b requiring further reasoning.
oliphant

Homework Statement

We're asked to prove that a few constructions of the sets a,b are themselves sets, stating which axioms we use to do so.

a) a\b
b)the function f:a->b
c)the image of f

Homework Equations

The following standard definitions of axioms of construction: Extensionality, Pair Set, Power Set, Union, Subset

The Attempt at a Solution

I think for a) we could define a\b = [tex]\{\bigcup (x \in P(a)) | x \notin b \}[/tex] so we would be using the axioms of power set, union, subset.

Now I have no idea how to do b), and I'd need to define that set first before I could do c). So if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
As for a), if you mean the set [tex]A \backslash B[/tex], I cannot understand why you use the Power Set of [tex]A[/tex]; this is the set of subsets of [tex]A[/tex], while [tex]A \backslash B[/tex] is the set of elements of [tex]A[/tex] that are not in [tex]B[/tex]. If [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are sets, then [tex]A \backslash B[/tex] is defined by the formula:

[tex]x \in A\backslash B \equiv x\in A\wedge x\notin B[/tex]

As for b) (and c)), remember that a function is just a set of ordered pairs, with a certain property.

Last edited:
Oops, that's what I wrote down first of all (well [tex]a\b = \{x \in a | x \notin b\}[/tex] for a) but then decided to over complicate it and confuse matters.

So if we think of the function as a set of ordered pairs (s,t) (where the same a cannot give different bs). I actually have a definition for the set of ordered pairs [tex]a \times b = \{x \in P P \bigcup \{a,b\} | \thereis s \in a, t \in b, x = (s,t)\}[/tex], so would it just be a case of shoehorning in a condition that when f(a_1) = b and f(a_2) = b, then a_1 = a_2?

That's pretty much it; you know that the class of ordered pairs is set, then you pick the subset representing the function. The image is a subset of the function set.

JSuarez said:
That's pretty much it; you know that the class of ordered pairs is set, then you pick the subset representing the function. The image is a subset of the function set.
Brilliant, thank you very much!

There question then asks what the maximum rank for each of the 3 sets we defined would be (taking alpha, beta as ranks for a, b). for a) would it simply be alpha, as in when beta is the empty set, right? What sort of reasoning could I use for b?

Related to Set theory: Axioms of Construction

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a formal language and framework for describing and analyzing the properties of sets and their relationships with one another.

2. What are the axioms of construction in set theory?

The axioms of construction, also known as the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms, are a set of fundamental principles that are used to construct sets and define their properties. They include the axioms of extensionality, union, power set, separation, and infinity.

3. How are the axioms of construction used in set theory?

The axioms of construction are used to build and define sets in a rigorous and consistent way. They provide a set of rules that ensure that the resulting sets are well-defined and do not lead to any contradictions or paradoxes.

4. Are there any alternative axioms of construction in set theory?

Yes, there are alternative axioms of construction, such as the von Neumann-Bernays-Gödel axioms and the Morse-Kelley axioms. These alternative axioms provide different foundations for set theory and may lead to different results and interpretations.

5. What is the significance of the axioms of construction in mathematics?

The axioms of construction are essential in mathematics as they provide the basis for constructing and defining sets, which are used in many areas of mathematics. They also help to ensure that the results and proofs in mathematics are valid and consistent.