Set A is open relative to Y iff A also contains points of a set B open in X?

In summary: This does not necessarily mean that A is open in X, but it is open in Y because it is a subset of Y and contains some of B, which is open in X.
ran13
Problem:

I'm trying to make sure i understand the following proof:

Suppose we have the metric spaces (X, d) and (Y, d) with Y < X. Then

A is open in Y [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] A = B [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Y where B is an open set in X.​

Here is the proof I have written down:

([itex]\Rightarrow[/itex])
- Assume A open in Y. We need to produce a B s.t. A = B [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Y.
- For p [itex]\in[/itex] A, there exists a radius about p r > 0 s.t. { q [itex]\in[/itex] Y: d(p, q) <r} < A.
- Then let B[itex]_{p}[/itex] be the neighborhood of p in X with radius r[itex]_{p}[/itex].
- So we have constructed a set B open in X s.t. A = B [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Y.

([itex]\Leftarrow[/itex])
- Assume B open in X and A = B [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Y. Pick any p[itex]\in[/itex] A, which implies p is in B.
- So there exists some r > 0 s.t. { q [itex]\in[/itex] X: d(p, q) <r} < B.
- Observe that { q [itex]\in[/itex] X: d(p, q) <r} [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Y < B [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Y = A.
- Thus we make the left hand side equal to { q [itex]\in[/itex] Y: d(p, q) <r}, i.e. neighborhoods in Y.
- So there exists a neighborhood of p in Y, so it can also be contained in A.
- Thus we constructed a set A open in Y.

My points of confusion are...

1. Are there any stronger arguments to make? I feel like my proof is quite vague and shaky. I welcome any corrections or advice.

2. Does this theorem only work if Y has the subspace topology, i.e. the same topology which defines X? I suppose I should have been more careful in my notes unless I should assume that 'd' is the same for both X and Y...

3. Am I right in assuming that A cannot be open in Y by simply being in Y? It seems like we can just say A is open in Y relative to Y's topology. I guess this goes back to #2, since I am confused if X and Y are being defined with different topologies.

But does this mean we are also proving A is open in X? Again, this relates to my confusions in #2.

4. The theorem says A must have parts of both B and Y to be open in Y. I think of B as being any possible open set in X. Now if A is simply a subset of B, A is open in X, correct?

But since we want to prove A is open in a subset of X, namely Y, we need A to be the intersection of B and Y. B obviously isn't stated to be a subset of Y, so why is it that A is open in Y instead of simply being open in X?

I think I'm getting confused as to why there needs to be an intersection of B and Y. I know that A is a subset of Y, but I can't figure out why else. Like, I feel that the theorem can simply say A is open in Y and that's it... Why is it that A must contain some of B?

Is the theorem saying that for a subset A to be open in a subspace Y of X, then that subset must also contain some of the set B which is open in X? Again, doesn't that mean A is open in X as well?

I'm confusing myself. I'd appreciate any clarity, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:1. Your proof is correct and logically sound.2. Yes, in order for this theorem to hold, Y must have the subspace topology, meaning it must have the same topology as X, and they must both use the same 'd' metric.3. Yes, A can be open in Y by simply being in Y. The theorem states that A must be an open set in Y with respect to Y's topology, so if A is a subset of Y, it is open in Y. However, the theorem also states that A must also contain some of B, which is an open set in X, in order for A to be open in Y. So yes, A can be open in X as well, but it must also contain some of B in order for it to be open in Y.4. The theorem is saying that for a subset A to be open in a subspace Y of X, then that subset must also contain some of the set B which is open in X. This is because Y is a subset of X, so any open set in Y must be a subset of an open set in X. Thus, A must contain some of B in order for it to be open in Y.

Related to Set A is open relative to Y iff A also contains points of a set B open in X?

1. What does it mean for a set to be open relative to another set?

When we say that a set A is open relative to another set Y, it means that all the points in A are also contained in a set B that is open in a larger space X. In other words, A inherits its openness from the larger space X through the set B.

2. How is this different from just being an open set?

A set can be open in a larger space without being open relative to another set. Being open relative to a set means that the set inherits its openness from a larger space, while being an open set just means that all its points are contained within the set itself.

3. Can you provide an example to better understand this concept?

Sure, let's say we have a set A = {1,2,3} and a set B = (0,5) in the real line. In this case, A is open relative to B because all the points in A are also contained in B, which is open in the real line. However, A is not an open set on its own since it does not contain any open intervals.

4. Is this concept only applicable to real numbers or can it be extended to other spaces?

This concept can be extended to other spaces as well. In fact, it is a general concept that can be applied to any topological space. It is commonly used in analysis, topology, and other branches of mathematics.

5. How is this concept useful in scientific research?

This concept is useful in scientific research, particularly in mathematics and physics, as it helps us understand the relationship between sets and their openness in a larger space. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the properties of open sets and their relative openness. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of physical systems and to model complex phenomena.