Series solution with regular singular points?

In summary: When you take the derivative, you multiply each term by its power and reduce the power by 1. That's the source of the ##n+1/2## in your formula for ##y'##.
Destroxia
1. Homework Statement

##x^{2}y'' + (x^{2} + 1/4)y=0##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the limits of a and b, which came out to be values of a = 0, and b = 1/4

then I composed an equation to solve for the roots:

##r^{2} - r + 1/4 = 0## ##r=1/2##

The roots didn't differ by an integer so the equation must take the form of

##y(x)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)}##

##y'(x)= \sum_{n=1}^\infty (n+1/2)a_{n}x^{n-(1/2)}##

##y''(x)= \sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n-3/2}##

Now I plugged the corresponding derivatives into the differential equation:

## x^{2} \sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n-3/2} + (x^{2} + 1/4) \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)} = 0##

Then, I distributed the x terms through the series

## \sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n+1/2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-2}x^{n+(1/2)} +\sum_{n=0}^\infty (1/4)a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)}##

Now I pull out 2 terms from the \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)} term:

## \sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n+1/2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-2}x^{n+(1/2)} + (1/4)a_{0}x^{1/2} +(1/4)a_{1}x^{3/2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty (1/4)a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)}##

Then of course I would find the recursive formula, but I just wanted to make sure this is the proper way to set everything up before I proceed with that part of the problem, as I always have issues with these series solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

$$x^{2}y'' + (x^{2} + 1/4)y=0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the limits of a and b, which came out to be values of a = 0, and b = 1/4.
What are ##a## and ##b## supposed to be? You didn't define them anywhere.

then I composed an equation to solve for the roots:

##r^{2} - r + 1/4 = 0## ##r=1/2##
This is called the indicial equation.

The roots didn't differ by an integer so the equation must take the form of
You have a double root, so the roots differ by 0, which is an integer.

\begin{align*}
y(x) &= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)} \\
y'(x) &= \sum_{n=1}^\infty (n+1/2)a_{n}x^{n-(1/2)} \\
y''(x) &= \sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n-3/2}
\end{align*} Now I plugged the corresponding derivatives into the differential equation:
$$x^2 \sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n-3/2} + (x^{2} + 1/4) \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)} = 0.$$ Then, I distributed the x terms through the series:
$$\sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n+1/2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-2}x^{n+(1/2)} +\sum_{n=0}^\infty (1/4)a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)}.$$ Now I pull out 2 terms from the ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)}## term:
$$\sum_{n=2}^\infty 1/4(2n-1)(2n+1)a_{n}x^{n+1/2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-2}x^{n+(1/2)} + (1/4)a_{0}x^{1/2} +(1/4)a_{1}x^{3/2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty (1/4)a_{n}x^{n+(1/2)}.$$
Then of course I would find the recursive formula, but I just wanted to make sure this is the proper way to set everything up before I proceed with that part of the problem, as I always have issues with these series solutions.
Looks good so far.

vela said:
What are ##a## and ##b## supposed to be? You didn't define them anywhere.This is called the indicial equation.You have a double root, so the roots differ by 0, which is an integer.Looks good so far.

Sorry, I didn't define the a and b because I figured I knew limits well enough, but I could definitely be wrong about that, just so you can make sure I'm not doing anything incredibly stupid, I will post them (I also didn't mean to write "take the limits of a and b", I meant to write take the limit of the second term divided by the first, multiplied by x, as it goes to zero, and define that as a , and the limit of the 3rd term divided by the 1st term, multiplied by ##x^{2}##, as it goes to zero, and define that as b)

## a = \lim_{x\to 0} x \frac {0} {x^2} = 0 ##

## b = \lim_{x\to 0} {x^2} \frac {x^{2}+\frac {1} {4}} {x^{2}} = \lim_{x\to 0} x^{2}+\frac {1} {4} = \frac {1} {4}##

##a=0 , b=\frac {1} {4}##

Then to define how I created the indical equation, I defined it as:

## r^{2} + (a-1)r + b = 0##

## r^{2} - r + \frac {1} {4} =0##

So my only question now is, even though I made the mistake of thinking the double root wasn't separated by an integer, my work still holds up right? Just to get my ##y_{2}## value now I must use the reduction of order formula?

vela said:
Looks good so far.

Also, I forgot to mention...

When finding the recurrence relation what do I do with the ## \frac 1 4 a_{0} x^{\frac 1 2}## and ## \frac 1 4 a_{1} x^{\frac 3 2}## terms? Since they don't have the same x value, they can't be set in the same equation to 0, so does that mean that both ##a_0## and ##a_1## are 0?

RyanTAsher said:
So my only question now is, even though I made the mistake of thinking the double root wasn't separated by an integer, my work still holds up right? Just to get my ##y_{2}## value now I must use the reduction of order formula?
The derivatives you calculated are incorrect. I missed that the first time. You can't drop the first and second terms in the series because ##r \ne 0##. The derivative of the lowest-order term, ##x^{1/2}##, doesn't vanish. That should clear up the confusion you have with ##a_0## and ##a_1##.

vela said:
The derivatives you calculated are incorrect. I missed that the first time. You can't drop the first and second terms in the series because ##r \ne 0##. The derivative of the lowest-order term, ##x^{1/2}##, doesn't vanish. That should clear up the confusion you have with ##a_0## and ##a_1##.

I'm confused... I did the derivatives again and I get the same thing, do you just mean that the index doesn't change as I take the derivatives? So would the derivatives be the same but n=0 always?

Right. Try writing out the first few terms of the series to see why. Contrast it to what happens to when you have ##r=0## so that ##y = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2+\cdots##.

I can give some approximisation, y'' = -(1 + 1/(4x2)y, if x is being to big then y'' ≈ - y this suggest that y ≈ Acos(x) + Bsin(x), now if x2 is small enough, then 4x2y'' ≈ -y, which suggest that y≈A√x + B√x*ln(x),

Last edited:
vela said:
Right. Try writing out the first few terms of the series to see why. Contrast it to what happens to when you have ##r=0## so that ##y = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2+\cdots##.

I understand now, but am still having the same issue with ##a_0## and ##a_1## ending up equaling 0

After changing the derivatives to all be n=0, I start out like so, after plugging into the differential equation:

##x^{2} \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n - \frac 1 2)(n+\frac 1 2)a_{n} x^{n-\frac 3 2} + (x^{2} + \frac 1 4) \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+\frac 1 2} = 0##

Then I distribute:

##\sum_{n=0}^\infty (n - \frac 1 2)(n+\frac 1 2)a_{n} x^{n+\frac 1 2} + \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+\frac 5 2} + \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {1} {4} a_n x^{n+\frac 1 2}##

Then I changed the 2nd series index to n=2 to make its ##x^{n+\frac 5 2} ## into ##x^{n+\frac 1 2}## and following that I took 2 terms out of both the 1st and 3rd series to make all the indexs n=2 so I can set the coefficients to 0:##-\frac {1} {4} a_0 x^{\frac 1 2} +\frac 3 4 a_1 x^{\frac 3 2}+\sum_{n=2}^\infty (n - \frac 1 2)(n+\frac 1 2)a_{n} x^{n+\frac 1 2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-2} x^{n+\frac 1 2} + \frac 1 4 a_0 x^{\frac 1 2} + \frac 1 4 a_1 x^{\frac 3 2} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac {1} {4} a_n x^{n+\frac 1 2}##

when I put the outside terms together ##a_0## and ##a_1## still equal 0

##-\frac {1} {4} a_0+ \frac 1 4 a_0 =0## ends up being ##a_0 = 0##

## \frac 3 4 a_1 + \frac 1 4 a_1 = 0 ## ends up being ##a_1 = 0##

RyanTAsher said:
##-\frac {1} {4} a_0+ \frac 1 4 a_0 =0## ends up being ##a_0 = 0##
The lefthand side is 0 regardless of the value of ##a_0##.

## \frac 3 4 a_1 + \frac 1 4 a_1 = 0 ## ends up being ##a_1 = 0##

vela said:
The lefthand side is 0 regardless of the value of ##a_0##.

So then what of ##a_1## do I just have to make the equation in terms of ##a_2## or something?

In terms of ##a_0## (as there is no restriction on ##a_0##). ##a_1##, on the other hand, is 0, so it will turn out all of the odd-n coefficients are 0.

Note if you ever think you find ##a_0=0##, you did something wrong. By assumption, ##r## is the exponent of the lowest-order non-vanishing term. If ##a_0=0##, that would be a contradiction.

vela said:
In terms of ##a_0## (as there is no restriction on ##a_0##). ##a_1##, on the other hand, is 0, so it will turn out all of the odd-n coefficients are 0.

Note if you ever think you find ##a_0=0##, you did something wrong. By assumption, ##r## is the exponent of the lowest-order non-vanishing term. If ##a_0=0##, that would be a contradiction.

OH!

I understand what you were trying to say now, I didn't even notice the ##a_0## terms cancelling out because I was too busy trying to make it equal something other than zero!

I think I can solve it now, Thank you for your help!

Related to Series solution with regular singular points?

1. What is a series solution with regular singular points?

A series solution with regular singular points is a method used to find a solution to a differential equation with a singularity (a point where the solution is not well-behaved) at a specific point. It involves expanding the solution into a power series and solving for the coefficients.

2. How do you identify a regular singular point?

A regular singular point is identified by the behavior of the differential equation at that point. If the equation can be written in a form that is analytic (able to be expressed as a power series) at the point, then it is a regular singular point.

3. What is the difference between a regular singular point and an irregular singular point?

A regular singular point is a point where the equation is analytic, meaning it can be written in a power series form. An irregular singular point, on the other hand, is a point where the equation cannot be written in a power series form, and thus a series solution cannot be used to find the solution.

4. What are some applications of series solutions with regular singular points?

Series solutions with regular singular points are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations that arise in problems involving wave propagation, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. They are also used in mathematical modeling and analysis to understand the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using series solutions with regular singular points?

Yes, there are limitations to using series solutions with regular singular points. It is only applicable to equations with singularities at a specific point, and it may not always provide an accurate solution if the singularity is too close to the initial conditions. Additionally, finding the coefficients of the power series can be a lengthy and tedious process, making it impractical for solving certain types of equations.