Series Solution to Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a series approach to solve a differential equation involving a sine function. The proposed method involves finding coefficients for even and odd powers of t and using the Fourier transform. However, there are concerns about the complexity and potential errors in this approach. Another suggestion is to use a combination of power series for sine and cosine functions to solve the equation.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I have to solve the differential equation
[itex] y''+(1-t) y' + y= sin(2t)[/itex]

can someone judge this?
How could I continue it?

[itex] y=\sum_{n=0}^{∞}{a_{n} t^{n}}[/itex]

[itex] y'=\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{a_{n} n t^{n-1}}[/itex]

[itex] y''=\sum_{n=2}^{∞}{a_{n} n(n-1) t^{n-2}}[/itex]

[itex] sin(2t)=\sum_{n=0}^{∞}{\frac{2^{2n}}{2n!} t^{2n}}[/itex][itex] y''+(1-t) y' + y= sin(2t)[/itex]
[itex] \sum_{n=2}^{∞}{a_{n} n(n-1) t^{n-2}}+\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{a_{n} n (1-t)t^{n-1}}+\sum_{n=0}^{∞}{a_{n} t^{n}}=\sum_{n=0}^{∞}{\frac{2^{2n}}{2n!} t^{2n}}[/itex]

[itex] \sum_{n=2}^{∞}{a_{n} n(n-1) t^{n-2}}+\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{a_{n} n t^{n-1}}-\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{a_{n} n t^{n}}+\sum_{n=0}^{∞}{a_{n} t^{n}}=\sum_{n=0}^{∞}{\frac{2^{2n}}{2n!} t^{2n}}[/itex]

[itex] \sum_{k=0}^{∞}{a_{k+2} (k+2)(k+1) t^{k}}+\sum_{k=0}^{∞}{a_{k+1} (k+1) t^{k}}-\sum_{k=0}^{∞}{a_{k} k t^{k}}+\sum_{k=0}^{∞}{a_{k} t^{k}}=\sum_{k=0}^{∞}{\frac{2^{2k}}{2k!} t^{2k}}[/itex]

[itex] \sum_{k=0}^{∞}{(a_{k+2} (k+2)(k+1)+a_{k+1} (k+1) -a_{k} k + a_{k}) t^{k}}=\sum_{k=0}^{∞}{\frac{2^{2k}}{2k!} t^{2k}}[/itex]

[itex] \sum_{k=0}^{∞}{(a_{k+2} (k+2)(k+1)+a_{k+1} (k+1)+ (1-k) a_{k}) t^{k}}=\sum_{k=0}^{∞}{\frac{2^{2k}}{2k!} t^{2k}}[/itex]

[itex] \sum_{m=0}^{∞}{(a_{2m+2} (2m+2)(2m+1)+a_{2m+1} (2m+1)+ (1-2m) a_{2m}) t^{2m}}=\sum_{m=0}^{∞}{\frac{2^{2m}}{2m!} t^{2m}}[/itex][itex]a_{2m+2} (2m+2)(2m+1)+a_{2m+1} (2m+1)+ (1-2m) a_{2m}=\frac{2^{2m}}{2m!}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure such a series approach is useful?

This allows to find all coefficients if you know starting values, but finding "nice" solutions based on this can be messy.
Your series for the sin looks wrong - it has even powers of t instead of odd.
Don't forget that you have equations both for even and odd powers of t.

hahahaha yes, sorry about the sin, it was my mistake :p
As for the rest, I don't know, I've seen this procedure used in so many applications (from QM, to partial derivative problems eg in cylinder or spherical coords), so I thought of applying it... or maybe try the Fourier transform of [itex]y[/itex]?
yup I know, but because eg of the Fourier transform, I could kill the (corrected) even powers

The even powers will have =0 on the right-hand side, but this is still a non-trivial equality. The derivatives mix even and odd coefficients in those equations, you cannot use symmetry as argument to ignore them.

Power series * sin(2t) + Power series * cos(2t) could be an interesting approach. This could work with polynomials.

Related to Series Solution to Differential Equation

1. What is a series solution to a differential equation?

A series solution to a differential equation is a method for finding an approximate solution to a differential equation by representing the solution as a power series. This means that the solution is written as an infinite sum of terms, each of which contains a variable raised to a certain power.

2. When is a series solution useful for solving a differential equation?

A series solution is useful for solving a differential equation when the equation cannot be solved using other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution. This often occurs when the equation is nonlinear or has complex coefficients.

3. How do you find a series solution to a differential equation?

To find a series solution to a differential equation, you must first assume that the solution can be written as a power series. Then, you substitute this series into the differential equation and solve for the coefficients of each term by equating the coefficients of like powers of the variable. Finally, you determine the convergence of the series and the radius of convergence.

4. What is the advantage of using a series solution over other methods?

The advantage of using a series solution is that it can provide an approximate solution to a differential equation even when other methods fail. Additionally, the series solution can often be used to find an exact solution when the coefficients of the differential equation are known.

5. Are there any limitations to using a series solution for differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using a series solution for differential equations. The series may not converge for all values of the variable, and the solution may only be valid within a certain interval. Additionally, the series solution may only provide an approximate solution, which may not be accurate enough for certain applications.