Series Solution of Differential equations

In summary, Boas argues that by expanding the series representations of y, we can find the result na_n = 2a_{n-2}.
Husaaved
Working through Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas, on the chapter on Series Solutions of Differential Equations, Boas works the example:

[itex] y' = 2xy[/itex]

Boas differentiates the series representation of y yielding y', substitutes both into the original equation, and expands, showing that

[itex] na_n = 2a_{n-2} [/itex]

I see that this is true from expanding each series representation and equating coefficients and so on, but I am having trouble deriving this result from the series notation. Is expansion absolutely necessary to obtain this result, or is there something I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's something you're missing. What trouble do you run into?

Oops, miss post

So, when I change the indices, I'm getting:

[itex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_nx^{n-1} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty 2a_{n+1}x^{n+2} [/itex]

or

[itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1)a_{n+1}x^{n} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty 2a_{n}x^{n+1} [/itex]

-- which doesn't quite lead me to the [itex] na_n = 2a_{n-2} [/itex] that Boas ends up with.

I have solved these problems before by expansion and equating coefficients, so I understand these problems conceptually, I'm just not clear on how to manipulate the series notation to yield these more compact results.

Should I be manipulating the indices to match one another, and should I omit x from the expression altogether since it's the coefficients I'm worried about anyway?

Thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "expanding" each series representation.

If we have [itex]y= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n[/itex] then
[itex]y'= \sum_{n=1}^\infty n a_nx^{n-1}[/itex]
(Notice this sum starts at n= 1 because when n= 0, "[itex]n a_nx^n= 0[/itex]".

So we have [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty n a_nx^{n-1}= \sum_{n=0}^\infty 2a_nx^{n+1}[/itex].

I think that by "expanding" the series you mean writing out the actual terms. No, you don't have to do that- if two such series are equal for all x, then the coefficients, on each side, of the same powers of x. But in order to use that, we need to change the "index" in each sum so that we have the same power of x.

That is, since "n" is "dummy index, in only has meaning inside the sum and is not part of the actual value, we can change the index on each side separately.
On the left, let j= n- 1. Then n= j+ 1, when n= 1, j= 0 so the sum becomes [itex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty (j+ 1)a_{j+ 1}x^j[/itex]
On the right, let j= n+ 1. Then n= j- 1, when n= 0, j= 1 so the sum becomes [itex]\sum_{j= 1}^\infty 2a_{j-1}x^j[/itex].

First, we see that the left hand sum now starts at j= 0 while the left hand sum starts at j= 1. That is, for j= 0, we have [itex](0+1)a_{0+ 1}= a_1= 0[/itex].

For j> 1, we have [itex](j+1)a_{j+1}= 2a_{j-1}[/itex] or [itex]a_{j+1}= \frac{2}{j+1}a_{j-1}[/itex]. For example, if j= 1, that says that [itex]a_2= \frac{2}{2}a_0= a_0[/itex]. If j= 2, [itex]a_{3}= \frac{2}{3}a_1= 0[/itex]. If j= 3, [itex]a_4= \frac{2}{4}a_2= \frac{1}{2}a_2= \frac{1}{2}a_0[/itex], etc. It should be clear that [itex]a_n= 0[/itex] for all odd n while [itex]a_n[/itex] , for every even n, will be a multiple of [itex]a_0[/itex] which is the "undetermined constant" we expect when solving a first order differential equation.

We already have [itex]x_2= a_0[/itex] and [itex]x_4= \frac{1}{2}a_0[/itex]. Now, with n= 5, [itex]a_6= \frac{2}{6}a_4= \frac{1}{3}a_4= \frac{1}{6}a_0[/itex]. With n= 7, [itex]a_8= \frac{2}{8}a_6= \frac{1}{4}a_6= \frac{1}{24}a_0[/itex]. Notice that the denominators are factorials: in fact the denominator for the even index 2n is n!

Now, use "proof by induction", along with the equation [itex]a_{j+1}= \frac{2}{j+ 1} a_j[/itex] to show that [itex]a_{2n}= \frac{1}{n!}a_0[/itex].

Related to Series Solution of Differential equations

What is a series solution of a differential equation?

A series solution of a differential equation is a method of finding an approximate solution by representing the solution as a series of terms. This is often useful when an exact solution cannot be found using other methods.

When is a series solution method used?

Series solution methods are typically used when the equation cannot be solved using other methods such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also useful when the equation has complicated or non-constant coefficients.

How is a series solution of a differential equation obtained?

A series solution is obtained by assuming that the solution can be expressed as a power series, plugging this into the differential equation, and then solving for the coefficients of the series.

What are the limitations of using a series solution method?

The main limitation is that the series solution is only an approximation, so it may not accurately represent the true solution. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be limited, meaning that the solution may only be valid for a certain range of the independent variable.

What are some examples of differential equations that can be solved using a series solution?

Examples include the Bessel equation, the Legendre equation, and the Airy equation. These types of equations arise in many areas of science and engineering, such as in mathematical physics and electrical engineering.