Series Solution of an ODE: Finding a Non-Recursive Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for y' = x^2y and using the assumption that the solution will take the form y = \sum_{n=0}{a_nx^n}. The conversation then goes on to manipulate the equation and find the recursion formula for n ≥ 2, but there is uncertainty about how to write a non-recursive formula for the sum with the unknown a2. The conversation ends with a clarification of the mistake in the equation and the role of a0 as the arbitrary constant.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

Solve for [tex] y' = x^2y [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

There's something that's been really bothering me about this question and similar ones.

We assume that the solution to the ODE will take the form

[tex] y = \sum_{n=0}{a_nx^n} [/tex]

After finding y', plugging in the expressions into the ODE, and distributing x2,

[tex] \sum_{n=1}na_nx^{n-1} - \sum_{n=0}a_nx^{n+2} = 0 [/tex]

I want to eventually combine the summations, so first I make the exponents match.

[tex] \sum_{n=0}(n+1)a_{n+1}x^n - \sum_{n=2}a_{n-2}x^n = 0 [/tex]

I need to make the indices match without manipulating exponents, so I just peel off the first two terms (n = 0 and n = 1) from the first summation. After doing so and combining the summations:

[tex] \sum_{n=2}((n+1)(a_{n+1} - a_{n-2}))x^n + a_1 + 2a_3x = 0 [/tex]

Now here's where I start becoming uncertain...

The summation begins at n = 2, so the smallest power of x that can come out is x2. Since the RHS is 0,

[tex] a_1 = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 2a_3x = 0 [/tex]

This means that the coefficients a_1 and a_3 must be equal to 0. Also, since the coefficients for all powers of x on the RHS are zero,

[tex] (n+1)a_{n+1} - a_{n-2} = 0 [/tex]

Rearranging gives me the recursion formula for n ≥ 2:

[tex] a_{n+1} = \frac{c_{n-2}}{n+1} [/tex]

My end goal in here is to write the sum in a way that doesn't involve any past terms so that there's no recursion. I start plugging in numbers and hope that I see some pattern...

n = 2, [itex] a_3 = \frac{a_0}{3} [/itex]

n = 3, [itex] a_4 = \frac{a_1}{5} = 0 [/itex]

n = 4, [itex] a_5 = \frac{a_2}{6} [/itex]

n = 5, [itex] a_6 = \frac{a_3}{7} = 0 [/itex]

n = 6, [itex] a_7 = \frac{a_4}{8} = \frac{a_1}{5*8} [/itex]

At this point it's clear that the odd n will give a zero and that I only have to worry about even n.

What bothers me is the term I get when n = 4. I'm not given any information as far as I know about a2 and since the ODE is first-order, there's only one arbitrary constant which I assume is a0 (if I don't assume it's arbitrary then I have no idea what to say about a0 either). So I'm stumped. How do I write a non-recursive formula for the sum with the mystery number a2? What am I missing in here?

Apologies for the lengthy post

EDIT: Disregard the thing I said about odd and even n. n = 7 doesn't equal 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mangoes said:
The summation begins at n = 2, so the smallest power of x that can come out is x2. Since the RHS is 0,

[tex] a_1 = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 2a_3x = 0 [/tex]

This means that the coefficients a_1 and a_3 must be equal to 0. Also, since the coefficients for all powers of x on the RHS are zero,

I guess there's a typo there. You should have a1 = a2 = 0.

Because of the error clamtrox pointed out, you had a3=0, and the n=2 equation then tells you a0=0. So a2 would be the arbitrary constant.

Since you're really supposed to have ##a_1=a_2=0##, the non-vanishing coefficients are ##a_{3k}## (k=0, 1, 2, …), and a0 plays the role of the arbitrary constant.

Related to Series Solution of an ODE: Finding a Non-Recursive Formula

What is a series solution of an ODE?

A series solution of an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a method for finding an approximate solution to a differential equation using a power series. The power series involves an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a polynomial in the independent variable.

What types of differential equations can be solved using series solutions?

Series solutions can be used to solve linear, homogeneous, and nonhomogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients. They can also be used to solve certain types of non-constant coefficient equations, such as Airy's equation and Bessel's equation.

What is the process for finding a series solution of an ODE?

The process involves first rewriting the differential equation in standard form and then assuming a power series solution for the dependent variable. The coefficients of the power series are then calculated using the differential equation and initial conditions. The resulting series is then simplified to find an expression for the solution.

What are the advantages of using series solutions?

Series solutions provide a systematic method for solving differential equations that cannot be solved using other methods. They also provide an infinite number of terms in the solution, which can provide a more accurate approximation compared to other methods that may only give a few terms.

Are there any limitations to using series solutions?

Series solutions can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations, and the resulting solutions may only be valid in a specific range of values. They also require a significant amount of algebraic manipulation and can be time-consuming to calculate by hand.