Series Solution Near an Ordinary Point

In summary, by differentiating the given equation and using initial conditions, we were able to solve for the values of a2, a3, and a4, which represent the derivatives of the solution at the given point x0. These values can be used to find the solution and its higher derivatives at x0, providing valuable information about the behavior of the solution.
Ozymandius

Homework Statement

Determine φ''(x0), φ'''(x0), and φ(4)(x0) for the given point x0 if y=φ(x) is a solution of the given initial value problem.

y'' + (sinx)y' + (cosx)y = 0 y(0) = 0; y'(0) = 1

Homework Equations

y = φ(x) = Ʃan(x-x0)n

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by differentiating y to get y' and y''. I then plugged those into the original equation, adjusted the numbers a bit to get the entire equation to fit into one summation. From there, I factored out xn, then set the bulk of the equation equal to 0. From there, I solved for an+2, plugged in n=0 to get:

a2 = (-(sinx)a1 - (cosx)a0))/2

This is where I get stuck. I am unsure as to what I'm supposed to do from here, although I have ideas. Am I just supposed to somehow solve for a2 and plug it into the φ''(x) equation? If so, where do I get a1 and a0 from?
Also, I apologize for not knowing how to do the graphic code to make it look as it looks on paper. Thank you!UPDATE: Assuming I am correct, I have solved for a2, a3, and a4 when setting a0 = y(0) and a1 = y'(0).
How do I use these newfound numbers to solve for the solutions?

a2 = 0
a3 = -1/6
a4 = 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

To use these values to solve for the solutions, you can plug them into the equation for φ(x) = Ʃan(x-x0)n. This will give you the solution for φ(x) at x0, which is the given point. You can also use these values to find the other derivatives, φ''(x0), φ'''(x0), and φ(4)(x0), by plugging them into the equations for each derivative.

φ''(x0) = 0
φ'''(x0) = 0
φ(4)(x0) = -1/30

These values represent the second, third, and fourth derivatives of the solution at the given point x0. You can use these values to further analyze the behavior of the solution at this point and make predictions about its behavior in the future.

Related to Series Solution Near an Ordinary Point

1. What is a series solution near an ordinary point?

A series solution near an ordinary point is a method used to solve a differential equation by expressing the solution as an infinite series of terms. This method is typically used for equations with a singularity or point of discontinuity.

2. How does a series solution near an ordinary point work?

In this method, the solution is expressed as a sum of terms, each containing a power of the independent variable. These terms are then substituted into the differential equation, and the resulting series is solved for the coefficients. The solution is then obtained by summing the terms with their respective coefficients.

3. What is the advantage of using a series solution near an ordinary point?

One advantage of using this method is that it can provide an exact solution to a differential equation, rather than just an approximation. It can also be used to solve equations that cannot be solved by other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution.

4. What are some common types of differential equations that can be solved using a series solution near an ordinary point?

This method is commonly used to solve equations involving power series, such as Taylor series or Maclaurin series. It is also useful for solving equations with singularities, such as Bessel's equation or Legendre's equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a series solution near an ordinary point?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used for equations with a single ordinary point. It also requires a significant amount of algebraic manipulation to obtain the solution, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors.