Series Pass Regulator Design Guide: Transfer Function & Compensation

In summary, the author was having trouble understanding the full transfer function and was looking for a generalized guide. He found an article which uses an assumed open loop gain of 80 db. He was able to understand it fully and found stability by tuning the gain for his application.
Dextrine
Does anyone know of any good references for a detailed guide designing a series pass regulator along with compensation?

I'm having some trouble getting the plant transfer function and would really benefit from some book or video or application note on this topic.

Even an older thread on this topic would be useful (I've been searching and I will continue to search)

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dextrine said:
series pass regulator

can you clarify that please -- just trying to determine you definition
are you talking about a linear voltage regulator ?
a specific IC or a circuit with discrete components ?

Likes Dextrine and berkeman
davenn said:
can you clarify that please -- just trying to determine you definition
are you talking about a linear voltage regulator ?
a specific IC or a circuit with discrete components ?
Yes, sorry for being vague. I would like to make a series pass linear regulator using discrete components.

Dextrine said:
Yes, sorry for being vague. I would like to make a series pass linear regulator using discrete components.
What reading have you done so far? What regulation specs do you strive to achieve? It's a lot easier to achieve 10% regulation over a small temperature range than 5% regulation over the Industrial temperature range... What are your load characteristics? What is the application?

berkeman said:
What reading have you done so far? What regulation specs do you strive to achieve? It's a lot easier to achieve 10% regulation over a small temperature range than 5% regulation over the Industrial temperature range... What are your load characteristics? What is the application?
Well, I don't have anything particular in mind, which is why I was looking for a book or something generalized. Maybe some sort of technique?

The best I've found is this article:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snva020b/snva020b.pdfI completely understand what they're doing up until the point where one would need a full transfer function. They start talking about the frequency response characteristics, which all make sense to me, but the gain, how to calculate the gain, is specifically where I am stuck.

I'm pretty sure there should be a factor of Rload/(Rds+Rload) multiplied in there, but when I draw out my feedback loop, there's no place for it.

Likes berkeman
Dextrine said:
I completely understand what they're doing up until the point where one would need a full transfer function. They start talking about the frequency response characteristics, which all make sense to me, but the gain, how to calculate the gain, is specifically where I am stuck.

In that paper they use assumed open loop gain of 80db throughout. See page 8, and every Bode plot.
Section 7 is a remarkably clear nuts-and-bolts level explanation of stability .

In a voltage regulator, loop gain directly determines regulation
so
the more gain the better will be its voltage accuracy under changing load . You'd like infinity if you could achieve it.

Do you see that fig 4 has for input to error amp = (k X Vout) - Vref ,
where k = (attenuation of divider R1 & R2) = R2 / (R1 + R2) and is a not very small number typically between 0.1 and 1 ?
So gain of the loop = whatever is ( gain of error amp ) X (gain of the two transistors ) X 1/k ?
They've assumed 80 db which is a good sized number. I get 10,000 what do you get ?

So, when opamps became available the approach became grab all the gain you can muster , tune the loop for stability over frequency range of your amplifier.

Dextrine said:
I would like to make a series pass linear regulator using discrete components.

For a first design with discrete components , just grab a nice zener diode and tack an emitter follower behind it.
Here's a far simpler "How To " from TI : https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/powerho...ies-linear-regulator-with-discrete-components

linearregulator1.jpg

i hope above helps.

@Dextrine That TI application note you found is wonderful, i'd not seen it before.

Last edited:
Likes Dextrine, davenn and berkeman
Thanks for all the input Jim,

Yeah I went through and re-read line by line and when I saw that 80db assumed gain I thought "dang it I should have read closer from the beginning and saved a lot of work"

I think I got it now though, I tried a simulation and everything makes sense, I have a great phase margin, plenty of stability. All in all great success!

Likes jim hardy, Asymptotic and berkeman
Dextrine said:
everything makes sense
That's what counts.

We love to see "the light click on" .Thanks for updating us !

old jim

Likes Greg Bernhardt
So, coming back to my original question, are there any books specifically for designing linear regulators (including compensation/control)? I keep finding plenty of books entirely on SMPS but none strictly for linear regulators. There are some white papers here and there but not any rigorous textbook. Are they just considered too simple to warrant a book?

Dextrine said:
So, coming back to my original question, are there any books specifically for designing linear regulators (including compensation/control)?

I only remember some paperbacks from 1960's. Linear Power Supply design is a subset of analog transistor circuit design.
This series was "The Bible" back then, should be still around in the used market.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070637377/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Might be some old timers here who still have a book specific to power supply design. A good one will cover thermal mounting, heatsinks, shielding, ventilation, capacitors, inductors and transformers.

Good Luck. Look for older books from 1940's through 1960's. They tend to be more practical oriented.
You can build a nice reference library that way without spending a fortune.

old jim

Likes Tom.G and berkeman

Related to Series Pass Regulator Design Guide: Transfer Function & Compensation

1. What is a Series Pass Regulator?

A Series Pass Regulator is a type of voltage regulator that controls the output voltage by adjusting the current flowing through a series element. It is commonly used to provide a stable and regulated output voltage for electronic circuits.

2. What is the purpose of a Transfer Function in Series Pass Regulator Design?

The Transfer Function in Series Pass Regulator Design is used to describe the relationship between the input and output voltages of the regulator. It helps in understanding the behavior of the regulator and selecting the appropriate components for its design.

3. How is Compensation used in Series Pass Regulator Design?

Compensation is used in Series Pass Regulator Design to improve the stability and response of the regulator. It involves adding additional components, such as capacitors, to the circuit to control the frequency response and prevent oscillations.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting components for a Series Pass Regulator?

When selecting components for a Series Pass Regulator, factors such as the desired output voltage, input voltage, load current, and thermal considerations should be taken into account. The selection of components should also consider the desired level of regulation and efficiency for the regulator.

5. What are the common types of compensation used in Series Pass Regulator Design?

The common types of compensation used in Series Pass Regulator Design include pole-zero compensation, frequency compensation, and feedback compensation. These methods are used to adjust the transfer function and improve the stability and response of the regulator.