Cascading LP filter transfer function

In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and trying to design a 3-stage cascading digital low pass filter to integrate an AC waveform. They are getting DC offset error and have been told to use a transfer function of H(s)=G*(\frac{1}{\tau*s+1})^{3}. The speaker is unsure how to apply this to discrete sampling in the Z domain and asks for help and clarification. They also mention MATLAB's use of s=z^{-1} and wonder if they should use this instead.
stiive
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. Its been awhile since university, so I've unfortuntely forgotten most of my teachings on transfer functions it seems!

Basically I am trying to design a 3 stage cascading digital low pass filter. I am sampling an AC waveform and need to integrate the signal. I'm getting some DC offset error from pure integration (trapezoidal method), so have decided to use a cascading filter with an adjustable cut-off freq (set just above the current variable AC electrical freq), and gain multiplication to compensate for attenuation and for the integration.

I have been told that the transfer function for the 3 identical stage filter of a sine would be
H(s)=[itex]G*(\frac{1}{\tau*s+1})^{3}[/itex]

Obviously as i am sampling discretely, I need to be in Z domain
So I think i'd apply tunstin transformation(?) ;

s=[itex]\frac{2(z-1)}{T(z+1)}[/itex]

therefore,

H(Z) = G*[itex](\frac{1}{\tau[\frac{2(z-1)}{T(z+1)}]+1})^{3}[/itex]

where [itex]\tau [/itex]= cut-off freq, G = gain, T = Δtime

But from here I'm kinda stuck, and would appreciate any prompting/help in the right direction. I'm guessing i'll need to do partial fractions? I have tried this, but the answer I got I'm fairly sure is wrong as most of the terms are future sample input/outputs (ie y[n+3], x[n+3]). Is perhaps the z term meant to be [itex]z^{-1}[/itex]? For instance, I have seen in MATLAB simulink the trapezoidal transfer function as;

[itex]\frac{K*Ts(z+1)}{2(z-1)}[/itex]

whereas i think it should be;

[itex]\frac{K*Ts(z^{-1}+1)}{2(z^{-1}-1)}[/itex]

Perhaps MATLAB uses geophysical(?) definition?

Perhaps also instead of tunstin transformation, i should just use [itex]s=z^{-1}[/itex]??

Thanks for any help in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Cascading LP filter transfer function

1. What is a cascading LP filter?

A cascading LP filter is a type of electronic filter that is composed of multiple low-pass filters connected in series. This means that the output of one filter is fed into the input of the next filter, resulting in a more gradual attenuation of high frequencies.

2. How does a cascading LP filter work?

A cascading LP filter works by using a combination of capacitors and resistors to block high frequency signals and allow low frequency signals to pass through. Each filter stage attenuates higher frequencies, resulting in a smoother frequency response.

3. What is the transfer function of a cascading LP filter?

The transfer function of a cascading LP filter is the mathematical representation of how the output signal of the filter relates to the input signal. It is typically expressed as a ratio of output voltage to input voltage, and can be calculated using the individual transfer functions of each filter stage.

4. What are the advantages of using a cascading LP filter?

Cascading LP filters offer several advantages over a single LP filter, such as a steeper roll-off in the frequency response, higher attenuation of high frequencies, and better overall performance for complex signals. They are also more flexible, as the number of filter stages can be adjusted to achieve the desired response.

5. How do I design a cascading LP filter transfer function?

To design a cascading LP filter transfer function, you will need to determine the desired frequency response and calculate the transfer function for each filter stage. Then, you can combine the individual transfer functions to create the overall transfer function of the cascading LP filter. This process may require the use of mathematical equations and/or simulation software.