Series Expansion: Proving √(y)√(1+y) - ln[√(y)+√(1+y)]=2y^(3/2)/3

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove a given equation using series expansion. The suggested method involves substituting the given equations into the initial equation and then using the log (1+x) expansion to obtain a simplified form. However, it is also mentioned that a more appropriate method would be to let Q = √(y) + y/2 - y^2/8 and use ln(1+Q) to expand the equation. The end result should be the same as the initial equation. Some confusion is also expressed regarding adding fractional numbers raised to powers.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

I want to show/prove that

√(y)√(1+y) - ln[√(y)+√(1+y)] = 2y^(3/2)/3 when y<<1 by series expansion.

Homework Equations

√(1+y) = 1+y/2 - (y^2)/8 + ...
and
ln[√(y)+√(1+y)] = ln[1 + √(y) + y/2 -(y^2)/8 + ...]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking I sub in the expansions above into the initial equation. My question then, is what do I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use [tex]\log_e (1+x) \approx x - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} [/tex] and let [tex] x = \sqrt{y} + \sqrt{1+y} -1 [/tex]. The first two terms of that expansion should clean up very nicely with the [itex]\sqrt{y}\sqrt{1+y}[/itex] from the original question, only slightly hard part is expanding that cubic term. Good luck

Cool, I understand this method, just wondering how I would go about it if I were to use the relevant equations though.

Well the problem changes to showing [tex]\log_e \left( 1 + \sqrt{y} + \frac{y}{2} - \frac{y^2}{8} ... \right) \approx \sqrt{y} - \frac{y^{3/2}}{6} - \frac{y^{5/2}}{8} ...[/tex].

Using the log (1+x) expansion to only a linear term doesn't work, so I might try using two terms, but that might take a while, Sorry I can't see anything better at the moment.

that's ok, its just that those specific results are provided, so I'm eager to utilize them!

After referring to a textbook, it seems a more appropriate way would be to let Q = √(y) + y/2 - y^2/8 with ln(1+Q) = Q - (Q^2)/2 + (Q^3)/3 - ... [similiar to what was initially mentioned].

I expand (without worrying about terms higher than 3/2) and am left with

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8342/69018112db1.jpg
does this appear correct?
pardon my forgetfulness, but can fractional numbers raised to powers be added?

Last edited by a moderator:
*to the top*

help please!

Related to Series Expansion: Proving √(y)√(1+y) - ln[√(y)+√(1+y)]=2y^(3/2)/3

1. What is series expansion?

Series expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a complicated function by representing it as an infinite sum of simpler functions.

2. How is series expansion used to prove equations?

In order to prove an equation, series expansion can be used to break down the equation into simpler terms and then show that they are equal to each other. This is achieved by manipulating the terms of the series and showing that they converge to the same value.

3. How is this particular equation proved using series expansion?

In this equation, we can use the series expansion for the natural logarithm function, which states that ln(1+x)=x-x^2/2+x^3/3-... The series expansion for the square root function can also be used to simplify the left side of the equation. By substituting these expansions into the equation and manipulating the terms, we can show that they converge to the same value on both sides, proving the equation to be true.

4. What is the significance of proving this equation?

Proving this equation has practical applications in various fields of science and mathematics. It helps to understand the relationship between the square root and natural logarithm functions, and can also be used in solving more complex problems involving these functions.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in using series expansion to prove equations?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in using series expansion is to solve a variety of problems involving different types of functions. This will help you become familiar with the process and identify patterns that will make it easier to solve equations in the future.