Series Convergence: Is the Root Test Always Reliable?

• Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root Test
In summary: That's where I got my idea. I think your idea is worth exploring.What do you mean by "looks somewhat like this"? I don't see any obvious way to apply the comparison test here, and the limit comparison test doesn't seem to work either.In summary, the series (1-1/n^(1/3))^n may or may not converge based on various tests, but the comparison test and limit comparison test do not seem to be useful in this case.
freshman2013

Homework Statement

determine whether the series (1-1/n^(1/3))^n converge or diverge

Homework Equations

all the testing procedure

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did the root test first, but the limit on the inside is 1. I then tried the ratio test but then when I tried taking the limit, I ended up with e^(-infinity+infinity). Finally, I tried the test for divergence on the original series, but i turned out be zero so it might or might not converge. Now I'm totally stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try the comparison test?

freshman2013 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So I did the root test first, but the limit on the inside is 1. I then tried the ratio test but then when I tried taking the limit, I ended up with e^(-infinity+infinity).
You should never end up with something like this ( -∞ + ∞), as it is indeterminate. I agree with what you got on the root test, so that's not a useful test, and the n-th term test seems to give a value of 0, so it doesn't tell us anything.

I would take another look at the ratio test to see what the limit actually is.

freshman2013 said:
Finally, I tried the test for divergence on the original series, but i turned out be zero so it might or might not converge. Now I'm totally stuck.

freshman2013 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So I did the root test first, but the limit on the inside is 1. I then tried the ratio test but then when I tried taking the limit, I ended up with e^(-infinity+infinity). Finally, I tried the test for divergence on the original series, but i turned out be zero so it might or might not converge. Now I'm totally stuck.

If
[tex]t_n = \left(1 - \frac{1}{n^{1/3}}\right)^n,[/tex]
you can look at ##L_n = \ln(t_n)## and use the series expansion of ##\ln (1-x)## for small ##x = 1/n^{1/3}##, to get the behavior of ##t_n## for large n. In fact, you can even get a simple upper bound ##u_n##, so that ## 0 < t_n < u_n##, and ##\sum u_n## is easy to analyze.

The OP might not have been exposed to series yet...

Mark44 said:
The OP might not have been exposed to series yet...

Series are not really needed here; it is enough to know that 1-x < exp(-x) for x > 0, so that ln(1-x) < -x for small x > 0.

Anyway, if the OP has seen series the method could be useful; if he/she has not yet seen series it is perhaps not useful. However, I have no way of knowing what the OP has, or has not, seen.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing how that would help. If it's working toward the ratio test, the ratio of consecutive terms approaches 1 as n→∞, so that test is inconclusive.

There is a very simple series that does converge that looks somewhat like this.

Related to Series Convergence: Is the Root Test Always Reliable?

1. What is the root test?

The root test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the nth root of the absolute value of each term in the series, and then taking the limit as n approaches infinity. If the resulting value is less than 1, the series converges. If the resulting value is greater than 1, the series diverges.

2. Why would the root test fail?

The root test may fail if the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the terms does not exist or is equal to 1. This can happen if the series is oscillating or if the terms do not decrease in magnitude as n increases.

3. What should I do if the root test fails?

If the root test fails, you can try using another convergence test, such as the ratio test or the integral test, to determine the convergence or divergence of the series. You can also try to manipulate the series to see if a different test can be applied.

4. Can a series still converge if the root test fails?

Yes, a series can still converge even if the root test fails. The root test is a sufficient but not necessary condition for convergence. This means that if the root test is inconclusive, the series may still converge or diverge.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the convergence of a series?

Yes, there are several other methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, the alternating series test, and the absolute convergence test. It is important to use multiple tests and check for convergence using different methods to ensure accuracy.