Series convergence for certain values of p

In summary: I don't know why you'd want to bring back the factorials either. It's part of the problem though, so I don't have a choice.The hint leads me to believe it's about e? I'm not exactly sure what to do with that hint.In summary, the conversation involves a question about the convergence of a series and the attempt to solve it using the generalized ratio test. The problem is identified as a lack of knowledge on how to deal with this type of limit, and the poster is given a clue to use Stirling's approximation and the identity for fractions. Another hint is provided involving the limit of a certain expression.
yamborghini

Homework Statement

For which integer values of p does the following series converge:

[itex]\sum_{n=|p|}^{∞}{2^{pn} (n+p)! \over(n+p)^n}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to apply the generalised ratio test but get down to this stage where I'm not sure what to do next.

I have [itex]\lim{2^p(n+p)^n \over(n+1+p)}[/itex] so far from attempting to do the generalised ratio test.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Yambo, and welcome to PF.

Could you check your denominator ?

[edit] And: if p≤0, what is the first term in the summation ?

Last edited:
Hi BvU,

I've checked it. Got the sheet in front of me and it is definitely that.

(unless you mean I have something wrong in my attempt. )

Well, could you show the steps that lead to that ratio?
I do get something else in the denominator.

I shall omit the modulus signs and the lim in the equations.
[itex]
2^{p(n+1)}((n+1)+p)!\over((n+1)+p)^{(n+1)}
[/itex]
multiplied by
[itex]
(n+p)^n\over 2^{pn}(n+p)!
[/itex]

[itex]
2^{pn}2^{p}(n+1+p)(n+p)!(n+p)^n \over (n+1+p)^n(n+1+p)2^{pn}(n+p)!
[/itex]

then cancelling gives me

[itex]

2^{p}(n+p)^n \over (n+1+p)^n
[/itex]

Is there something wrong with my cancellation?

edit* Oh I realized I forgot a ^n in my denominator. oops. I did have it down on paper though. not sure how to go from this stage.

Last edited:
Good thing you found that. Big difference.

Now we have to take the limit for n to ##\infty## and see what comes out. Not trivial, but not impossible either. 'Not sure' and 'don't know what to do' aren't good enough according to PF rules. Just giving you the next step would nullify the learning experience :smile:. So: What do you have in your toolbox to deal with this kind of limits ?

Coming back to the modulus sign: see post #2.

Well considering I've been doing this problem for 2 days I think I'm missing something from my tool box. Could you give me a clue? The furthest I've gotten is to factor the 2^p out and then simply put everything in brackets to the power of n. I'm not even sure if this is the right way to go because it leads to a dead end still, unless you can use standard limit 2 and say everything in the brackets is equal to r... but I have a very strong feeling you can't do that.

As for the first term, if n=0, we get p!

Last edited:
Putting everything in brackets to the power of n is a good idea... You have a fraction inside the brackets.

Use the identity [tex]\frac{a+b}{a+b+1}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{a+b}}[/tex]

ehild

yamborghini said:
Well considering I've been doing this problem for 2 days I think I'm missing something from my tool box. Could you give me a clue? The furthest I've gotten is to factor the 2^p out and then simply put everything in brackets to the power of n. I'm not even sure if this is the right way to go because it leads to a dead end still, unless you can use standard limit 2 and say everything in the brackets is equal to r... but I have a very strong feeling you can't do that.

I would recommend using Stirling's approximation: [tex]
(n + p)! \sim \sqrt{2\pi(n + p)}\left(\frac{n + p}{e}\right)^{n+p}[/tex]

As for the first term, if n=0, we get p!

The first term is not [itex]n = 0[/itex]; the first term is [itex]n = |p|[/itex]. If [itex]p \leq 0[/itex] and [itex]n = |p|[/itex], then [itex]n = -p[/itex] and [itex](n + p) = (-p + p) = 0[/itex]. This is a problem.

PA helps you with the modulus thing. I don't know why one should want to bring back in the factorials, but I haven't checked that out.

I figured you might end up studying something in the direction of ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\, \left(1+{x \over n}\right )^n ##. Now there's a hint !

Kudos for your persistence!

Related to Series convergence for certain values of p

1. What is Series Convergence?

Series convergence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of infinite series, where the terms of the series are added together to determine if the resulting sum approaches a finite value or if it diverges to infinity.

2. How is Series Convergence determined?

The convergence or divergence of a series can be determined by evaluating the limit of the partial sums as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is a finite value, the series is said to be convergent. If the limit is infinity or does not exist, the series is divergent.

3. What is the role of "p" in Series Convergence for certain values?

The value of "p" in Series Convergence refers to the power of the terms in the series. It is used to determine the behavior of the series and whether it will converge or diverge for certain values.

4. What is the significance of the value of "p" in Series Convergence?

The value of "p" plays a crucial role in determining the convergence or divergence of a series. For example, if the value of p is greater than 1, the series will converge, and if it is less than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.

5. What are some real-world applications of Series Convergence?

Series convergence has various applications in science, engineering, and finance. It is used to analyze the accuracy and stability of numerical algorithms, to study the behavior of physical systems, and to calculate the present value of future cash flows in financial calculations.