Series Convergence and Divergence III

In summary, Because the limit of the series for (c) is 1/(2*n), the series converges absolutely if n is an integer, but diverges for any noninteger n.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a few quick questions for the problem set I'm working on at the moment:
View attachment 2774
I'm highly doubtful of my answer for c. I used the roots test instead of the ratio test, which gives 1/n, which I took the limit of to get an interval of [-∞ , ∞]

As for a and b, I got [-5,5] and (-∞, ∞) respectfully.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5 7.PNG
    5 7.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 49
Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2774
I'm highly doubtful of my answer for c. I used the roots test instead of the ratio test, which gives 1/n, which I took the limit of to get an interval of [-∞ , ∞]

Thanks in advance.

The general formula of a Taylor Series is $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n(x- \xi)^n$

At part $c$,it is: $a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{n2^n} , \xi=-2$

$$ \rho=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \sqrt[n]{|a_n|}= \lim_{n \to +\infty} \sqrt[n]{\frac{1}{n2^n}}=\frac{1}{2}$$

$$R=\frac{1}{ \rho}=2$$

So,the series converges absolutely for $x \in (\xi-R, \xi+R)=(-4,0)$ and diverges for $x \notin [-4,0]$

So,now it remains to check if the series converges for $x=-4 \text{ and for } x=0$.

ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2774

Thanks in advance.

Why not do the ratio test for (c) as well?

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{ \left| a_{n + 1} \right| }{\left| a_n\right| } &< 1 \\ \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\left| \left( -1 \right) ^{n+1} \frac{\left( x + 2 \right) ^{n+1}}{\left( n + 1 \right) \, 2^{n+1}} \right| }{\left| \left( -1 \right) ^n \frac{\left( x + 2 \right) ^n}{n\,2^n} \right| } &< 1 \\ \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\frac{\left| x + 2 \right| ^{n + 1} }{\left( n + 1 \right) \, 2^{n + 1} }}{\frac{\left| x + 2 \right| ^n }{n\,2^n}} &< 1 \\ \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n\,2^n \, \left| x + 2 \right| ^{n + 1}}{\left( n + 1 \right) \, 2^{n + 1} \, \left| x + 2 \right| ^n } &< 1 \\ \frac{ \left| x + 2 \right| }{2} \, \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n}{n + 1} &< 1 \\ \frac{ \left| x + 2 \right| }{2} \, \lim_{n \to \infty} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{n + 1} \right) &< 1 \\ \frac{\left| x + 2 \right| }{2} \cdot 1 &< 1 \\ \frac{ \left| x + 2 \right| }{2} &< 1 \\ \left| x + 2 \right| &< 2 \\ -2 < x + 2 &< 2 \\ -4 < x &< 0 \end{align*}$

So your radius of convergence is 2, and your integral of convergence may be -4 < x < 0, but you will also need to check the endpoints.

Last edited:

Related to Series Convergence and Divergence III

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in a series?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of a series as the number of terms increases. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a series is said to diverge if the sum of its terms approaches infinity or oscillates between different values as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests compare the series to a known convergent or divergent series and use their properties to determine the behavior of the original series.

3. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series cannot converge and diverge at the same time. A series can either converge or diverge, but not both. If the series satisfies the conditions for convergence, it will converge, and if it fails to meet these conditions, it will diverge.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series regardless of the order of its terms. In other words, the series will converge to the same value regardless of how the terms are arranged. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series only when the terms are arranged in a specific order. If the terms are rearranged, the series may diverge.

5. What is the significance of convergence and divergence in real-world applications?

The concept of convergence and divergence is essential in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. In physics, it is used to analyze the behavior of infinite series in mathematical models. In economics, it is used to study the convergence or divergence of economic indicators. In computer science, it is used to determine the efficiency of algorithms and the convergence of numerical methods.