Series Convergence and Divergence I

In summary, the speaker has a few questions about a problem set they are working on. They are unsure about their response for part b, but have determined that the series for part a is convergent and the series for part c is divergent. They are having trouble calculating r for part b in order to use the a/(1-r) formula to compute the sum. They also mention using partial fraction decomposition to turn the series into a telescoping series. Another person suggests using the formula a/(1-r) to evaluate each geometric series. The speaker also clarifies their thought process for part a and their answer for part c is confirmed as correct.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a few quick questions for the problem set I'm working on at the moment:
2014_07_15_320_5185576918465871c371_2.jpg

I'm mostly unsure of my response for b. For a, I just split the series into two parts and added 6+3 to get 9, and thus the series is convergent. For c, I got 3/5 after taking the limit, which is divergent because it does not equal 0.

However, for b, I'm having a hard time calculating r so that I can use the a/(1-r) formula to compute the sum. I'd really appreciate some help guys.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For b, using partial fraction decomposition or otherwise, represent each term as a difference of two expressions. Note that the second expression (with a minus) of each term is the same as the first expression (with a plus) of the next term. Therefore, this is a telescoping series.

ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I'm mostly unsure of my response for b. For a, I just split the series into two parts and added 6+3 to get 9, and thus the series is convergent. For c, I got 3/5 after taking the limit, which is divergent because it does not equal 0.

However, for b, I'm having a hard time calculating r so that I can use the a/(1-r) formula to compute the sum. I'd really appreciate some help guys.

Thanks in advance.

The convergence of the second is easy, because for large values of n, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum{ \frac{1}{4n^2 - 1} } \end{align*}$ behaves like $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum{ \frac{1}{4n^2} } = \frac{1}{4} \sum{ \frac{1}{n^2} } \end{align*}$, which is a convergent p series.

But as Evgeny said, to evaluate the value of the sum you must use a partial fraction decomposition to turn it into a telescopic series.

ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

For a) I have no idea what you are talking about. Adding what 6 and what 3 to get what 9? What does that have to do with convergence?

Write it as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum{ \left( \frac{3}{2^{n-1}} + \frac{2}{3^{n-1}} \right) } = \sum{ \frac{3}{2^{n - 1}} } + \sum{ \frac{2}{3^{n-1}}} = 3\sum{ \left[ \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^{n - 1} \right] } + 2\sum{ \left[ \left( \frac{1}{3} \right) ^{n - 1} \right] } \end{align*}$

each of those is a geometric series with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} r_1 = \frac{1}{2} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} r_2 = \frac{1}{3} \end{align*}$. Since these common ratios are all smaller than 1 in size, each of those geometric series is convergent and so the whole sum is convergent.

Also you can evaluate each geometric series using the formula $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{a}{1 - r} \end{align*}$.Your answer to (c) is correct.

Prove It said:
For a) I have no idea what you are talking about. Adding what 6 and what 3 to get what 9? What does that have to do with convergence?

Write it as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum{ \left( \frac{3}{2^{n-1}} + \frac{2}{3^{n-1}} \right) } = \sum{ \frac{3}{2^{n - 1}} } + \sum{ \frac{2}{3^{n-1}}} = 3\sum{ \left[ \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^{n - 1} \right] } + 2\sum{ \left[ \left( \frac{1}{3} \right) ^{n - 1} \right] } \end{align*}$

each of those is a geometric series with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} r_1 = \frac{1}{2} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} r_2 = \frac{1}{3} \end{align*}$. Since these common ratios are all smaller than 1 in size, each of those geometric series is convergent and so the whole sum is convergent.

Also you can evaluate each geometric series using the formula $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{a}{1 - r} \end{align*}$.Your answer to (c) is correct.
Oh, I thought that if I separated the series into two parts, the sum of each should be 3 and 6 respectively, thus making the sum of the series 9 (the summation of the two). Is that incorrect?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, for b, the telescoping series, I took the limit as it approaches infinity after crossing out all of the extraneous values. I ended up getting (-.5) +(-.5 /2n) +(-.5/(2n+1) = -1/2. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
ardentmed said:
Oh, I thought that if I separated the series into two parts, the sum of each should be 3 and 6 respectively, thus making the sum of the series 9 (the summation of the two). Is that incorrect?

Now I understand what you meant. Yes that is correct.

Prove It said:
Now I understand what you meant. Yes that is correct.

Thank you. Also, for b, the telescoping series, I took the limit as it approaches infinity after crossing out all of the extraneous values. I ended up getting (-.5) +(-.5 /2n) +(-.5/(2n+1) = -1/2. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again.

ardentmed said:
Also, for b, the telescoping series, I took the limit as it approaches infinity after crossing out all of the extraneous values. I ended up getting (-.5) +(-.5 /2n) +(-.5/(2n+1) = -1/2. Does that sound about right?
All terms in the series are positive. How did you get $-1/2$? Also, how did you get the denominator $2n$?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
All terms in the series are positive. How did you get $-1/2$? Also, how did you get the denominator $2n$?

Because when using partial fractions, I obtained A= 0.5 and B= -0.5, so the series is 0.5/(2n+1) - (.5)/(2n-1), so when the terms were crossing out, the first term was crossed out when simplifying, whereas the second term stayed put. Taking the limit thereof gave a negative value.

ardentmed said:
Because when using partial fractions, I obtained A= 0.5 and B= -0.5, so the series is 0.5/(2n+1) - (.5)/(2n-1)
$\frac{1}{2n+1}$ is smaller than $\frac{1}{2n-1}$, so the difference you wrote is negative. In reality,
\[
\frac{1}{4n^2-1}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1}\right).
\]

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$\frac{1}{2n+1}$ is smaller than $\frac{1}{2n-1}$, so the difference you wrote is negative. In reality,
\[
\frac{1}{4n^2-1}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{2n+1}\right).
\]

Alright, so the sum is 1/2 after taking that into consideration, correct?

ardentmed said:
Alright, so the sum is 1/2 after taking that into consideration, correct?

Yes, well done :)

Related to Series Convergence and Divergence I

1. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is a series in which the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series has a defined limit. On the other hand, a divergent series is a series in which the sum of its terms either approaches infinity or does not approach any finite value.

2. What is the test for divergence and how is it used?

The test for divergence is a simple test used to determine whether a series is divergent. It states that if the limit of the terms in a series does not equal zero, then the series must be divergent. This test is useful because it can quickly determine whether a series is convergent or divergent without having to calculate its sum.

3. What is the limit comparison test and when is it used?

The limit comparison test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. It states that if the limit of the ratio of the terms in two series is a finite, non-zero number, then both series either converge or diverge. This test is useful when the terms of a series are difficult to work with and cannot be evaluated using other tests.

4. How is the integral test used to determine convergence or divergence of a series?

The integral test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to an improper integral. It states that if the integral of the terms in a series converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges. This test is useful when the terms of a series can be represented as a function and evaluated using integral calculus.

5. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. By definition, a convergent series has a finite limit while a divergent series either approaches infinity or has no finite limit. A series cannot have both a finite and infinite limit at the same time.