Serge Lang: Inequality Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the inequality 2ab ≤ 2|a||b| and the equation (a+b)^2 = a^2 +2ab + b^2. The person is seeking help in understanding how the first equation can be manipulated into the second one. After taking a break and looking at it again, they realize that it was just a misunderstanding and that the second equation is always true. The conversation ends with the person explaining how they can use the first equation to prove the desired result.
Cosmophile
Hello, all. I am reading Serge Lang's "A First Course in Calculus" in order to get a better understanding of the topic. I thought I would read his review of fundamental concepts, and, naturally, it has been a breeze so far. However, I am stumped when trying to work out this problem:

8aab10f09c.png

I do not see how [tex] 2ab \leq 2|a||b| [/tex]
turns into [tex] (a+b)^2 = a^2 +2ab + b^2 [/tex]

Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated. I don't want to move on without understanding this bit. It's really bothering me.

Also, I apologize for not adhering to the established template. I didn't see a way to formulate this question in a way that fit the template.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cosmophile said:
I do not see how [tex] 2ab \leq 2|a||b| [/tex]
turns into [tex] (a+b)^2 = a^2 +2ab + b^2 [/tex]
It doesn't turn into that. The second equation is always true. I would have to guess that the use of the first equation comes a bit further on. If that doesn't explain it, please post a longer extract.

I stepped away from it for a while (since I posted this) and when I sat down, I realized that it was just a poor execution (in my opinion) on Lang's part. The "from this we get..." confused me into thinking the first could be manipulated into becoming the second. The first was stated because I can use that to say:

[tex] (a+b)^2 \leq a^2 +2|a||b| + b^2
= (|a|^2 + |b|^2) [/tex]
Square root both sides and voila, you get [tex] |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| [/tex]
which is what we wanted to prove. All I had to do was step away for a bit.

Related to Serge Lang: Inequality Problem

1. What is the "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem"?

The "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem" is a mathematical problem proposed by the late mathematician Serge Lang. It involves finding the minimum value of a certain function, subject to a set of constraints.

2. Why is the "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem" important?

The "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem" has important applications in various fields, such as economics, physics, and computer science. It allows for the optimization of systems and can help in decision-making processes.

3. What is the history behind the "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem"?

The "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem" was first proposed by Serge Lang in the 1970s. It has since been studied extensively by mathematicians and has been the subject of many research papers and conferences.

4. What are some techniques used to solve the "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem"?

There are various techniques used to solve the "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem," including the Lagrange multiplier method, the Kuhn-Tucker conditions, and convex optimization methods. The most appropriate technique depends on the specific problem and its constraints.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem"?

Like any mathematical problem, the "Serge Lang: Inequality Problem" has its limitations. It may not be able to accurately model complex systems and may not provide a feasible solution in every case. Additionally, the problem may become more challenging as the number of constraints increases.