Sequences of periodic functions converging to their average value

In summary, the statement presented is not entirely true. While it holds for a 2π-periodic function and a smooth function, it may not hold for a function with a nonzero mean. This can be seen by considering the counterexample where g(x) = 0 and f(x) is any 2π-periodic function with a nonzero mean. More information or assumptions may be needed to prove the statement.
Elysian

Homework Statement

Let f be a 2π-periodic function (can be any periodic really, not only 2π), and let g be a smooth function. Then

lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]\int^{B}_{A} f(nx)g(x)[/itex] converges to [itex]\frac{1}{2π}[/itex][itex]\int^{2π}_{0}f(x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've come up with somewhat of an intuitive idea but I can't really put it into math.

For any interval 0 to t where t is the period, the integral of that function from 0 to t will be equal to the integral of the function with n times the period from 0 to t. In this case, the function g because it is smooth, can be broken down into little sections in which f will hit the function g many times so there becomes a maximum M which starts to resemble a straight line, and a minimum m which also starts to resemble a straight line. For f(nx) the period will go to infinity and it will start to hit the graph of g and pretty much fill it in from the interval [A,B]. I'm not exactly sure where the average value of f(x) comes in now, but I'd expect it to be from little intervals of the g and having f hit it so many times you could find that it has an average value. Not sure about that part.

I'm also not sure about the part in which if g(x) = 0, this really doesn't hold for all periodic functions. But it would hold for something like sin(x). Apparently the problem could be wrong so if it is wrong I'm supposed to present a counterexample to show why it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elysian said:

Homework Statement

Let f be a 2π-periodic function (can be any periodic really, not only 2π), and let g be a smooth function. Then

lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]\int^{B}_{A} f(nx)g(x)[/itex] converges to [itex]\frac{1}{2π}[/itex][itex]\int^{2π}_{0}f(x)[/itex]
This is not true. Suppose [itex]g(x) = 0[/itex] (identically zero), and [itex]f(x)[/itex] is any [itex]2\pi[/itex]-periodic function with nonzero mean. Are there any hypotheses which you have not mentioned?

jbunniii said:
This is not true. Suppose [itex]g(x) = 0[/itex] (identically zero), and [itex]f(x)[/itex] is any [itex]2\pi[/itex]-periodic function with nonzero mean. Are there any hypotheses which you have not mentioned?

Thanks, and yeah I get you, It's pretty much what I said in the last part of the question. What happens then if it is a zero mean? It holds but how would we go about proving that for zero means it is true but for nonzero means it isn't? I've just given you what was given to me so I don't believe there's anything missing. Sorry

Related to Sequences of periodic functions converging to their average value

1. What is a sequence of periodic functions converging to their average value?

A sequence of periodic functions converging to their average value is a series of functions that repeat in a regular pattern and approach a single constant value as the number of functions in the sequence increases.

2. How do you determine the average value of a periodic function?

The average value of a periodic function can be found by taking the integral of the function over one period and dividing it by the length of the period.

3. What is the significance of a sequence of periodic functions converging to their average value?

The significance of this type of sequence is that it demonstrates the limit behavior of periodic functions and shows that even though the individual functions may vary, they converge to the same average value.

4. Can a sequence of periodic functions converge to a value other than the average?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence of periodic functions to converge to a value other than the average. This can occur if the functions have different periods or if there are discontinuities in the functions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of sequences of periodic functions converging to their average value?

Yes, this concept is used in various fields such as signal processing, control systems, and physics to understand the behavior of periodic phenomena and to accurately predict their average values.