Sequences - Assumption that I need to confirm about n approaching infinity

In summary, the limit of the given sequence, an= 2n/(n2+1)1/2, can be simplified by disregarding the +1 in the denominator as n approaches infinity. This results in the limit being equal to 2. The justification for ignoring the +1 can be shown by factoring out an n^2 in the denominator and applying properties of a limit taken to infinity.
unixmd5crypt

Homework Statement

Find the limit:
an= 2n/(n2+1)1/2

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Because n is approaching infinity, is it OK to disregard the +1 in the denominator and just consider the denominator to be n? This would then divide out the n in the numerator leaving 2 which is the correct answer. I think this is acceptable, but I wanted to run it by you all to confirm. Thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you can consider the limit like that, the '1' becomes negligible as n gets bigger and bigger.

great, that was what I thought but I wanted to make sure that what I got and the correct answer weren't just a great coincidence. Thanks for the fast reply! :)

factor out an n^2 in the denominator in the square root to get: sqrt((n^2)(1+(1/n^2))).

then the problem should be something like: (2n)/[(n)(sqrt(1 + (1/n^2)))].

Apply the properties of a limit taken to infinity and you should get 2 as your limit.

So in essence, you could ignore the 2, but to show why you can ignore it, you can do what I just showed you.

Related to Sequences - Assumption that I need to confirm about n approaching infinity

1. What is the assumption about n approaching infinity in sequences?

The assumption is that as n approaches infinity, the terms in the sequence become infinitely large or small.

2. Why is it important to confirm the assumption about n approaching infinity in sequences?

Confirming this assumption is important because it allows us to make accurate conclusions about the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity.

3. How can we confirm the assumption about n approaching infinity in sequences?

We can confirm this assumption by using mathematical proofs or by observing the trend of the terms in the sequence as n increases.

4. Are there any exceptions to the assumption about n approaching infinity in sequences?

Yes, there are exceptions such as oscillating sequences where the terms do not approach a specific value as n increases.

5. How does the assumption about n approaching infinity affect the convergence or divergence of a sequence?

The assumption about n approaching infinity is a key factor in determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence. If the terms in the sequence approach a specific value as n increases, the sequence is said to converge. If the terms do not approach a specific value, the sequence is said to diverge.