Sequences and Series of Functions Question (Rudin Chapter 7)

In summary, sequences and series of functions are a fundamental concept in real analysis. They involve studying the properties and behavior of functions as their inputs approach a particular value or as the number of terms in the sequence or series increases. This topic is essential for understanding the convergence and continuity of functions and is crucial in various areas of mathematics, including calculus and differential equations. Rudin Chapter 7 delves into the details of sequences and series of functions, covering topics such as pointwise and uniform convergence, the Weierstrass M-test, and the power series representation of analytic functions.
gajohnson

Homework Statement

The problem is Exercise 8 from Chapter 7 of Rudin. It can be seen here:

http://grab.by/mGxY

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems quite obvious to see that because [itex]\sum\left|c_n\right|[/itex] converges, [itex]f(x)[/itex] will converge uniformly.

However, I am having a difficult time understanding why [itex]f(x)[/itex] will be continuous at all [itex]x\neq{x_n}[/itex]

Any help with understanding this second part of the proof would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this as simple as stating that there is a jump discontinuity at [itex]x=x_n[/itex], because the left-hand limit = 0, and the right-hand limit = 1?

Which c_n's does I(x - x_n) choose to exclude from the sum?

verty said:
Which c_n's does I(x - x_n) choose to exclude from the sum?

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Do you mean for me to say that [itex]c_n[/itex] is excluded from the sum when [itex]I(x-x_n)≤0[/itex]?

gajohnson said:
I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Do you mean for me to say that [itex]c_n[/itex] is excluded from the sum when [itex]I(x-x_n)≤0[/itex]?

I can't really say more without being too helpful.

Related to Sequences and Series of Functions Question (Rudin Chapter 7)

1. What are sequences and series of functions?

Sequences and series of functions are mathematical concepts that involve a sequence or a sum of functions, respectively. A sequence of functions is a list of functions that are indexed by a natural number, while a series of functions is the sum of these functions.

2. What is the importance of studying sequences and series of functions?

Sequences and series of functions are important in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, calculus, and differential equations. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Understanding these concepts can help in solving problems and understanding the behavior of functions.

3. How do you determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series of functions?

The convergence or divergence of a sequence or series of functions can be determined by using various tests, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests help to determine if the sequence or series is convergent or divergent.

4. What is the difference between pointwise and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence means that for each point in the domain, the sequence of functions approaches the same limit. Uniform convergence means that the sequence of functions approaches the same limit at every point in the domain, with the error between the limit and the function approaching zero as the index of the sequence increases.

5. How are sequences and series of functions used in real-life applications?

Sequences and series of functions are used in many real-life applications, such as in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. They are also used in computer science and engineering to approximate functions and solve problems numerically.