Seperating a Summation problem.

• Thread starter DKATyler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary: Mark as Solved".In summary, the problem was to separate a sum into 2 pieces in relation to n and X, using the given equation and attempting to solve it. Through a series of steps and patterns observed in the equations, it was possible to express the desired expression in terms of n and X. The solution was then used to complete the rest of the proof.
DKATyler
[SOLVED] Seperating a Summation problem.

Homework Statement

The Problem:
Separate a sum into 2 pieces (part of a proof problem).

Using: [tex]X=
\sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{n!}{(n-k)!}
[/tex]

Solve in relation to n and X:
[tex]
\sum^{n+1}_{k=1}\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1-k)!}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\sum^{n}_{k=1}[\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1-k)!}]+\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1-[n+1])!}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum^{n}_{k=1}[\frac{(n)!}{(n-k)!}*\frac{(n+1)}{(n+1-k)}]+\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1-[n+1])!}
[/tex]

[tex]
(n+1)*\sum^{n}_{k=1}[\frac{(n)!}{(n-k)!}*\frac{1}{(n+1-k)}]+(n+1)!}
[/tex]

I think this is fairly close but, I have no way of getting rid of the 1/(n+1-k) term.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that [tex]\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{n!}{(n-k+1)!} \ + \ \frac{n!}{(n+1-(n+1))!} = \sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{n!}{(n-k)!} [/tex]?

If you do that, you can express [tex]\sum^{n+1}_{k=1}\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1-k)!}[/tex] as a summation starting from k=2. Then you should be able to get the desired expression.

Try it out for some values of k and n, then you'll see a pattern.

In general the pattern is [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}f(k) = \sum_{k=2}^{n} f(k-1)\ +\ f(n)[/tex]

That helps quite a bit.

[tex]
n!+\sum^{n}_{k=2}\frac{n!}{(n+1-k)!}=\sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{n!}{(n-k)!}=X
[/tex]

So continuing from this step:
[tex]
(n+1)*\sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{n!}{(n-k+1)!}+\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1-[n+1])!}
[/tex]

changing the Index and adding/subtracting n!
[tex]
(n+1)*(1-n!+n!+\sum^{n}_{k=2}\frac{n!}{(n-k+1)!})+(n+1)!
[/tex]

Solves the Equation in terms of n and X:
[tex]
(n+1)*(1-n!+X)+(n+1)!
[/tex]

Yep, that worked, now I can complete the rest of the proof :) Thank you very much. How to mark this "[solved]?"

Go to your first post in this thread, at the top right hand corner of the post marked "Thread Tools"

Related to Seperating a Summation problem.

1. How can I determine the individual terms in a summation problem?

To determine the individual terms in a summation problem, you can look at the pattern of the numbers being added together. For example, if you are adding the numbers 1 to 5, the individual terms are 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

2. What is the purpose of separating a summation problem into individual terms?

The purpose of separating a summation problem into individual terms is to make it easier to understand and solve. By breaking down the problem into smaller parts, it becomes more manageable and less intimidating.

3. How do I simplify a summation problem using individual terms?

To simplify a summation problem using individual terms, you can use algebraic rules such as the distributive property and combining like terms. It may also be helpful to group similar terms together.

4. Can I use a calculator to separate a summation problem into individual terms?

Yes, you can use a calculator to separate a summation problem into individual terms. Most scientific calculators have a summation function that allows you to input the formula and the range of values to be added.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for separating a summation problem into individual terms?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used for separating a summation problem into individual terms. For example, you can use the formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence or geometric sequence to quickly calculate the individual terms in a summation problem.