Separation axioms vs subspaces

In summary, separation axioms carry over to subspaces, but it's not obvious that if S is a subset of a normal space, that S is itself normal.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do separation axioms carry over to subspaces?

Some are clear -- it's easy to see that if any two points of a space X are separated by neighborhoods, then the same must be true of any subset S of X.

But what about the nicer ones? Is it true that if S is a subset of a normal space, that S is itself normal?

This one is less obvious... one example that worries me is this:

Consider the union S of two open discs in R^2. (that aren't disjoint) Consider the two closed sets formed by restricting the boundaries of the two discs to S. We can't directly appeal to the normality of R^2, because the closure of these sets aren't disjoint in R^2.

It is still easy to see S is normal, because it's homeomorphic to R^2, but that doesn't help me in the general case of a subset of an aribtrary normal space.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be pretty easy to see that subspaces on closed subsets of normal spaces are normal. Or, for that matter that on any normal space [itex]S[/itex], the subspace formed on [tex]S_1[/tex] is normal if, for any two closed sets [tex]U,V[/tex] in [itex]S[/itex] there exists an open set [itex]O[/itex] so that [itex]O\supset U \cap V[/itex] and [itex]O \cap S_1 = \emptyset[/itex]

It's pretty straightforward to come up with examples of subspaces of normal spaces that aren't normal. For example, consider the space
[tex]\{0,1,o,c\}[/tex]
Where the open sets are
[tex]\emptyset,\{o\},\{0,o\},\{1,o\},\{0,1,o\},\{0,1,o,c\}[/tex]

Which is normal, since the only closed set that does not contain [itex]c[/itex] is [itex] \emptyset[/itex].

However, the subspace [itex]\{0,1,o\}[/itex] is not normal since [itex]{0}[/itex] and [itex]{1}[/itex] are both closed, but any open set containing either also contains [itex]o[/itex].

Bleh. Well, what if the space is nicer? Like a normal T2 space?

Hmmm. I have a hard enough time thinking of a non-normal T2 space.

Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_space suggests that if you take the uncountable product of noncompact Hausdorff spaces, it won't be normal.

Oh, I guess that suggests an example -- take an uncountable product of compact Hausdorff spaces. That should be normal, right? Then, take as a subset the uncountable product of an open subset.

*sigh* How disappointing. Topology is hard! Maybe I should stick to the world of metric spaces, I understand those better! :smile:

Hurkyl said:
Oh, I guess that suggests an example -- take an uncountable product of compact Hausdorff spaces. That should be normal, right? Then, take as a subset the uncountable product of an open subset.

I was wondering if the long line was going to figure into this.

Topology is nice. It's just that negative examples can be really hard to think of.

Last edited:
Ack, open sets that are compact? :frown: Well, doesn't the quote from the wikipedia article imply the open subset wouldn't be normal?

Incidentally, the property I want to be true is this:

If I have closed sets [itex]A \cup B = C[/itex], then there exists closed sets A' and B' such that [itex]A' \cup B' = X[/itex], [itex] A' \cap C = A[/itex], and [itex]B' \cap C = B[/itex].

Actually, I don't even need that strong -- I think that it's good enough that if C is a reducible closed set, then there is a way to write X as the union of two closed sets, neither containing C.

I think that this is provable if the complement of C is a normal space, but I guess I can't guarantee that, even if X is a "nice" space. :frown:

Related to Separation axioms vs subspaces

What are separation axioms and how are they different from subspaces?

Separation axioms are properties that define how topological spaces are separated from one another. They are used to classify topological spaces based on the properties of their open sets. On the other hand, subspaces are subsets of a given topological space that inherit the same topological structure as the original space. In other words, subspaces are smaller spaces within a larger space that have the same topological properties.

Why are separation axioms important in mathematics?

Separation axioms are important because they help us understand the structure of topological spaces. They allow us to make distinctions between different types of spaces and provide a framework for studying their properties and relationships. Additionally, separation axioms have applications in areas such as geometry, physics, and computer science.

What is the difference between T0 and T1 separation axioms?

The T0 separation axiom states that for any two distinct points in a topological space, there exists an open set that contains one point but not the other. This means that the points can be distinguished by open sets. The T1 separation axiom is stronger and states that for any two distinct points, there exist two disjoint open sets, one containing each point. This means that the points can be separated by open sets.

Can a subspace have a different separation axiom than its parent space?

Yes, a subspace can have a different separation axiom than its parent space. This is because the separation axioms are properties of the open sets in a space, and a subspace inherits its open sets from the parent space. However, the subspace may have fewer separation axioms than the parent space, as some separation axioms are not preserved under subspace topologies.

How do separation axioms relate to the Hausdorff property?

The Hausdorff property is a special case of the T2 separation axiom, which states that for any two distinct points in a topological space, there exist two disjoint open sets, one containing each point. This property is important because it allows us to distinguish between points in a topological space and is often used in the definition of continuity. Therefore, the Hausdorff property is a stronger version of the T2 separation axiom.