Separating e^(xi) to form a-bi

• Thread starter thunderjolt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, To separate e^(xi) into the form a-bi, where x is a constant, you can use the Euler formula or the Taylor series expansion of e^x. The Euler identity states that e^(ix) is equal to cosine x plus i times sine x. And the Taylor series for e^x, with x = ix, can be separated into two series for cosine and sine, respectively.
thunderjolt

Homework Statement

I am in dif eq, but just need to know how to separate a power.

separate e^(xi) into the form a-bi, where x is a constant (in my homework, x is 4pi/3, but that's not too relevant)

i is the imaginary number sqrt(-1)

Homework Equations

I don't know if there is some simple rule, or if I actually need to use calculus and integrals.
The only thing I know is that e^(x+y) = e^(x)e^(y). However, I can't use that here, because the power is the multiple.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting it equal to y = e^(xi) and taking the natural log of both sides, but it just got really messy and I ended up with a square root of i, which is not good.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for the Euler identity?
$$e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)$$

Are you familiar with Taylor series? As jbunniii mentioned, it is the Euler formula, but the easiest way to derive it is by using the Taylor series expansion of e^x, with x = ix, and then separate the real and imaginary terms into two series which are known to be the Taylor series for cosine and sine, respectively.

ok, that makes sense, the prof did the taylor series in class...thanks

Related to Separating e^(xi) to form a-bi

1. What is e^(xi)?

e^(xi) is a mathematical expression that represents the complex number e (Euler's number) raised to the power of xi, where x is a real number and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you separate e^(xi) into a-bi?

To separate e^(xi) into a-bi, we can use Euler's formula which states that e^(xi) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This means that the real part of e^(xi) is cos(x) and the imaginary part is i*sin(x). Therefore, we can write e^(xi) as a-bi, with a = cos(x) and b = sin(x).

3. Why is it important to separate e^(xi) into a-bi?

Separating e^(xi) into a-bi allows us to better understand and manipulate complex numbers. It also helps in solving problems involving trigonometric functions and differential equations.

4. Can e^(xi) be separated into a complex number?

Yes, e^(xi) can be separated into a complex number. In fact, e^(xi) itself is a complex number as it has a real and imaginary part.

5. Is separating e^(xi) into a-bi the same as converting it to polar form?

Yes, separating e^(xi) into a-bi is equivalent to converting it to polar form. This is because in polar form, a complex number is expressed as r(cosθ + i*sinθ), where r is the modulus and θ is the argument. Similarly, in separating e^(xi) into a-bi, a represents the modulus and b represents the argument.