Semiconductor Sensors: Exploring New Applications

In summary, the Hall effect is used in some sensors, but the site won't connect to your account, and you are looking for more environmental sensors. Thanks for your question.
ShinobiRain
Hey guys, since this seems to be the brainiest place on the web for physics and engineering topics, I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I have to do a short encyclopedia page for my semi-conductor class about sensor applications. Now, after doing a little bit of research, I thought organic or polymer semiconductors looked good for a topic, but I can't find any information about possible sensors that could be made from these materials. So if you guys can help me out by just pointing me towards a few areas of research I could look into, that would be great.

Also, this doesn't really have to be about polymer or organic semiconductors, but could be broadened to include any new ways of using semiconductors as sensors. I just really looking to find something interesting to write about. Thanks for any help. :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
ShinobiRain said:
Hey guys, since this seems to be the brainiest place on the web for physics and engineering topics, I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I have to do a short encyclopedia page for my semi-conductor class about sensor applications. Now, after doing a little bit of research, I thought organic or polymer semiconductors looked good for a topic, but I can't find any information about possible sensors that could be made from these materials. So if you guys can help me out by just pointing me towards a few areas of research I could look into, that would be great.

Also, this doesn't really have to be about polymer or organic semiconductors, but could be broadened to include any new ways of using semiconductors as sensors. I just really looking to find something interesting to write about. Thanks for any help. :smile:

Welcome to the PF.

I notice that your user name has gone light, so it looks like there is an issue with your account. If you changed your e-mail or made some other change to your account, you were probably sent an e-mail notification to finish the change with a login link. Please check your e-mail and also your spam filters, in case the notification e-mail got caught there. Hopefully you can find it and get your account re-activated.

And on your question, the Hall effect is use in pretty useful semiconductor sensors.

I don't know why but the site won't connect to my college e-mail account. It's annoying but whatever, I can just leave it on my hotmail.

And I do know about Hall effect sensors (definitely not as much as everyone here though), such as measuring current without needing to interrupt the circuit, but I think I am looking for more environmental sensors, closer to being current topics of research and development. If the Hall effect is still being used to create new types of sensors that's great, could you just aim me towards specific types of sensors though?

Last edited:
How about a photodiode (you can use this as a light sensor) or a CCD? There are numerous MEMS (Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems) accelerometer or beam cantilever type devices, but they do not necessarily use their semiconductor properties for sensing. The frequently are made of semiconductors because that's what most of the micro/nano 'toolbox' has been geared towards working with.

Last edited:

Related to Semiconductor Sensors: Exploring New Applications

1. What are semiconductor sensors?

Semiconductor sensors are electronic devices that can detect and measure changes in physical or chemical properties, such as temperature, pressure, or light, by utilizing the electrical properties of semiconductors. They are widely used in various industries, including automotive, healthcare, and aerospace, for their high sensitivity and accuracy.

2. How do semiconductor sensors work?

Semiconductor sensors work by converting a physical or chemical stimulus into a change in electrical current or voltage. This change is then measured and converted into a readable output. The basic principle behind their operation is the use of semiconducting materials, such as silicon or germanium, which have a variable electrical conductivity depending on the external stimuli they encounter.

3. What are some examples of new applications for semiconductor sensors?

Recent advancements in semiconductor sensor technology have opened up new possibilities for their use in various fields. Some examples include the use of semiconductor sensors in smart homes for environmental monitoring, in self-driving cars for obstacle detection, and in wearable devices for health monitoring. They are also being used in industrial settings for process control and monitoring.

4. What are the advantages of using semiconductor sensors?

Semiconductor sensors offer several advantages over other types of sensors. They are more compact and lightweight, making them ideal for use in portable devices. They also have a fast response time, high sensitivity, and good accuracy, which makes them suitable for a wide range of applications. Additionally, they can be easily integrated with other electronic components, making them a cost-effective option.

5. What are some potential challenges with using semiconductor sensors?

One potential challenge with using semiconductor sensors is their susceptibility to noise and interference, which can affect their accuracy. They also have a limited temperature range in which they can operate effectively. Additionally, their reliability can be affected by factors such as aging and environmental conditions. It is important to carefully select and calibrate semiconductor sensors for specific applications to ensure their optimal performance.