Semi-retired engineer, seeking knowledge of the greatest field in science

In summary, a semi-retired engineer is looking to gain knowledge in the greatest field of science. This individual has a background in engineering and is seeking to expand their understanding and expertise in a specific area of science. They are likely driven by a passion for learning and a desire to stay intellectually engaged, despite being in a semi-retired state. With their previous experience and skills in engineering, they may bring a unique perspective to this new field of study.
dpstrand
How did you find PF?
Google search
I have a rudimentary understanding of classical physics and some (lesser) level of relativity and quantum mechanics. All came from undergrad studies before most of you were born. I tried to jump into the quantum world, only to find it necessary to relearn the basics of maxwells equations and vector calculus. I’m certain that I’ll have abecedarian questions as I muddle through the details. All that said, I can’t think of a better way to spend my golden years

Likes berkeman and sysprog
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

I hope you will enjoy our forums. Not quite sure what you meant by the greatest field in science though. :smile:
purity.png

• Haha
Likes berkeman, anorlunda and sysprog
This book can be instrumental for people who are newly approaching Quantum Theory.

1577316646486.png

Gamov was renowned for his ability to make difficult Physics topics and concepts reasonably apprehensible informally to people not possessing a strong background in the usual prerequisites to rigorous understanding of those topics and concepts. Gamov is also famed for his foundational work on the Big Bang Theory. A sometimes whimsical and prankish fellow, Gamov also wrote the Mr Tompkins books, in which he explores the consequences of changing fundamental facts of Physics.

1577319379869.png

A somewhat more advanced work than Gamov's popular science publications, which by physicists is generally considered to be mainly non-technical, and which is readily approachable with only a moderate acquaintance with advanced mathematics (in particular at least a rudimentary understanding of abstract algebra would be helpful) is this:

1577317324626.png

Fritzch, along with Murray Gell-Mann, is credited with having formulated the first QCD theories.

And then of course there's the inimitable Richard Feynman: https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_toc.html

Likes berkeman