Sellmeier equations & group delay dispersion

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Sellmeier equation to create a group delay dispersion graph for glasses. The speaker also mentions the option of using group velocity dispersion instead. The conversation also touches on the concept of dispersion and its various types and definitions. It is suggested to use derivatives and the chain rule to apply the definition of dispersion in equation form.
Voxynn
Hi,

I'm trying to take this Sellmeier equation,

n^2 (λ)=1+ (B_1 λ^2)/(λ^2-C_1 )+(B_2 λ^2)/(λ^2-C_2 )+(B_3 λ^2)/(λ^2-C_3 )

for which i have several sets of constants for prospective glasses, and convert it into a group delay dispersion graph, with axes of fs^2 vs wavelength.

How do i rearrange the equation above (or convert the resultant graph) into a form i can use to find the GDD for the glasses?

If it's easier, i could use the GVD instead of the GDD.

Thanks!

Voxynn

Attachments

• equation.JPG
    equation.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
Dispersion is generally some type of a derivative of refractive index. Sometimes people are interested in first order, or second order dispersion, and it's possible to have different definitions for each type (i.e. first or second derivatives with respect to either wavelength or frequency). Just take your definition of dispersion (in equation form) and apply it using derivatives and the chain rule if necessary.

The Sellmeier equation is a widely used empirical formula for calculating the refractive index of a material as a function of wavelength. The equation takes into account the material's dispersion properties, which is the variation of the refractive index with wavelength. The Sellmeier equation is typically used for glasses and other transparent materials.

To convert the Sellmeier equation into a group delay dispersion (GDD) graph, you will need to use the second derivative of the refractive index (n) with respect to wavelength (λ). This can be calculated using the following formula:

d²n/dλ² = (2*B_1*λ)/(λ^2-C_1 )^2 + (2*B_2*λ)/(λ^2-C_2 )^2 + (2*B_3*λ)/(λ^2-C_3 )^2

Once you have the second derivative, you can plot it on the y-axis (fs^2) and the wavelength on the x-axis to get a GDD graph. This graph will show you the variation of the group delay (the time it takes for a light pulse to travel through the material) with respect to wavelength. The GDD graph can also be converted to a group velocity dispersion (GVD) graph by taking the inverse of the second derivative.

Alternatively, you could also use the Sellmeier equation to directly calculate the GDD or GVD by taking the second or first derivative of the refractive index with respect to wavelength, respectively. This will give you a numerical value for the GDD or GVD at a specific wavelength.

I hope this helps you in your research on prospective glasses. Good luck!

Related to Sellmeier equations & group delay dispersion

1. What are Sellmeier equations?

Sellmeier equations are mathematical formulas used to describe the refractive index of a material as a function of wavelength. They are often used to model the dispersion of light in optical materials.

2. How are Sellmeier equations derived?

Sellmeier equations are typically derived from the material's dielectric function, which describes how a material interacts with an electric field. The dielectric function can be related to the refractive index through the Kramers-Kronig relations, and the Sellmeier equations are then obtained by fitting experimental data to the resulting formula.

3. What is group delay dispersion?

Group delay dispersion (GDD) is a measure of how much a material or system affects the timing of pulses of light. It is calculated as the second derivative of the phase response of the material or system with respect to wavelength. GDD is an important parameter in ultrafast optics, as it can affect the quality of ultrafast laser pulses.

4. How are Sellmeier equations related to group delay dispersion?

Sellmeier equations are often used to characterize the refractive index of optical materials, which in turn affects the group delay dispersion of light passing through the material. By knowing the refractive index of a material at different wavelengths, one can calculate the group delay dispersion and predict how light will be affected as it passes through the material.

5. Are Sellmeier equations accurate for all materials?

No, Sellmeier equations are not accurate for all materials. They were originally derived for non-magnetic, isotropic materials and may not accurately describe the refractive index of anisotropic or magnetic materials. Additionally, they may not accurately describe materials with strong absorption or dispersion effects. In these cases, more complex models may be used to describe the refractive index and group delay dispersion of a material.