Self-torque of a compressed rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of self-torque and its role in the Trouton-Noble experiment. The charges held apart by a dielectric rod in IRF K experience a Lorentz force that results in a torque towards -z'. The author suggests that the rod exerts a counteracting torque on the charges, but it is debated whether this is a self-torque or a reaction to external forces. Some theories suggest that stress tensors in a resting body transform into self-torques when the body moves, but others argue that self-torques are only reactions to external forces. The Trouton-Noble experiment is cited as an example of this debate. Ultimately, it is concluded that the motion of the rod is not
GRDixon
Two charges, q1=q2=q>0, are held apart by a dielectric rod of length L. Everything is at rest in the xy-plane of IRF K, with x1=y1=0 and x2=L cos(theta), y2=L sin(theta), 0<theta<pi/2.

Viewed from frame K’, moving in the positive x-direction of K at speed v, the Lorentz forces on the two charges constitute a force couplet that is manifest as a torque toward –z’. Since nothing rotates in K’, the rod presumably exerts a counteracting torque on the charges. Is this a self-torque, and if so, what parameters explain its direction and size?

Physics news on Phys.org
clem said:

Thanks, Clem. I must confess that I'm more sympathetic with the view of Panofsky and Phillips, that other mechanical considerations must be taken into account. Another thread in these forums has included a derivation of the non-constancy of the spring "constant" when springs move parallel and transverse to their longitudinal axes, relative to an IRF. I'm inclined to believe that stress tensors in a resting body transform to self-torques when the body moves. But the self-torques only exist in the presence of an external stress-causing agent. In any case, the author of your cited article correctly points out that many texts avoid the Trouton-Noble experiment altogether ... possibly because there is no consensus about why the charges don't rotate in response to the Lorentz torque.

GRDixon said:
I'm inclined to believe that stress tensors in a resting body transform to self-torques when the body moves.
The first thing I learned on the first day of my first physics course was that "self-torques" cannot affect the motion of the object itself.

clem said:
The first thing I learned on the first day of my first physics course was that "self-torques" cannot affect the motion of the object itself.

In my opinion they taught you right. Everything I've read and written about to date indicates that self-forces and self-torques are REACTION forces and torques, the reaction being to externally applied forces/torques. The point I was trying to make in the thread is that the motion of the rod is affected by neither the external Lorentz force couplet nor by the hypothetical self-torque, as these are equal but oppositely directed and sum to zero. (The self-torque experienced by the rod is passed through to the charges, and thus the net torque on them is also zero.) Within the context of the Trouton-Noble experiment, the counteracting torque would be provided by the chassis that holds the capacitor plates at a constant separation.

Now you are trying to use the harness to explain the cart and the horse.
It won't work.

Related to Self-torque of a compressed rod?

1. What is self-torque of a compressed rod?

The self-torque of a compressed rod refers to the internal force or twisting moment that is generated within the rod itself when it is compressed. This torque is caused by the deformation of the rod due to the compressive force applied to it.

2. How is self-torque calculated?

The self-torque of a compressed rod can be calculated using the formula T = Fd, where T is the torque, F is the compressive force, and d is the distance from the point of application of the force to the axis of rotation. This formula assumes that the rod is uniform and the force is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the self-torque of a compressed rod?

The self-torque of a compressed rod is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the compressive force, the material properties of the rod, and the geometry of the rod (such as its length and cross-sectional area).

4. Why is self-torque important in engineering?

Self-torque is an important consideration in engineering because it can affect the stability and performance of structures that rely on compressed rods, such as trusses and bridges. If the self-torque is not properly accounted for, it can lead to structural failure or deformation.

5. How can self-torque be minimized?

To minimize self-torque, engineers can use techniques such as reinforcing the rod with additional materials, changing the orientation or location of the compressive force, or using materials with different properties. It is also important to carefully consider the design and geometry of the structure to ensure that the self-torque is within acceptable limits.