Angular Velocity and Acceleration of a Rotating Rod: Homework Problem

In summary, the angular velocity and acceleration at angle θ is as follows: the angular velocity is 3/2 times the linear, tangential acceleration, and the acceleration is in the radial direction.
Karol

Homework Statement

A rod of length L and mass m which is free to rotate round it's edge is held, initially, horizontally.
What are: the angular velocity and acceleration at angle θ
The force at the nail (the axis)

Homework Equations

Torque and moment of inertia: ##M=I\alpha##

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of energy:
$$mg\frac{L}{2}\cos\theta=\frac{1}{3}mL^2\omega\;\rightarrow \omega=\frac{3}{2}gl\cos\theta$$
$$M=I\alpha:\; mg\frac{L}{2}\sin\theta=\frac{1}{3}mL^2\alpha\;\rightarrow \alpha=\frac{3g}{2L}\sin\theta$$
The linear, tangential acceleration ##a_t=\alpha\frac{L}{2}##
I take forces in the tangential direction, F is the reaction:
$$mg\frac{L}{2}\sin\theta-F=m\cdot \frac{3g}{2L}\sin\theta \frac{L}{2}\;\rightarrow\; F=\frac{1}{4}mg\sin\theta$$
But i am not sure.
The reverse of the axial component of gravity ##mg\cos\theta## is the second component of the reaction in the nail.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
##mg\frac L2 \cos\theta=\frac 13mL^2\omega##
You seem to be mixing energy and angular momentum.

$$mg\frac{L}{2}\cos\theta=\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{3}mL^2\omega^2\;\rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{3g\cos\theta}{L}$$

Karol said:
$$mg\frac{L}{2}\cos\theta=\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{3}mL^2\omega^2\;\rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{3g\cos\theta}{L}$$
Right.

But what about the main question, the force on the nail?

Karol said:
But what about the main question, the force on the nail?
The force will depend on the rate of rotation (centripetal force), which you seem to have omitted.

haruspex said:
The force will depend on the rate of rotation (centripetal force), which you seem to have omitted.
The centripetal force on the COM at the distance L/2: ##m\omega^2\frac{L}{2}## is added:
$$mg\frac{L}{2}\sin\theta-F=m\cdot \frac{3g}{2L}\sin\theta \frac{L}{2}\;\rightarrow\; F=\frac{1}{4}mg\sin\theta$$
$$F_{tot axial}=\frac{1}{4}mg\sin\theta+m\omega^2\frac{L}{2}$$

Karol said:
The centripetal force on the COM at the distance L/2: ##m\omega^2\frac{L}{2}## is added:
$$F_{tot axial}=\frac{1}{4}mg\sin\theta+m\omega^2\frac{L}{2}$$
F is the component of the axial force parallel to the motion of the mass, i.e. tangential, no?
You need to find the total radial force (including the centripetal force) and add that vectorially.

haruspex said:
F is the component of the axial force parallel to the motion of the mass, i.e. tangential, no?
Yes, i made a mistake.
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} F_{tan}=\frac{1}{4}mg\sin\theta \\ F_{rad}=mg\cos\theta+m\omega^2\frac{L}{2} \end{array} \right.$$

Karol said:
Yes, i made a mistake.
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} F_{tan}=\frac{1}{4}mg\sin\theta \\ F_{rad}=mg\cos\theta+m\omega^2\frac{L}{2} \end{array} \right.$$
That looks right.

Thanks

Karol,

Should this title actually be "Rod rotating round it's end" ? -- not edge

SammyS said:
Karol,

Should this title actually be "Rod rotating round it's end" ? -- not edge
Yes, correct, i don't know physics AND english well...

Related to Angular Velocity and Acceleration of a Rotating Rod: Homework Problem

What is "Rod rotating round it's end"?

"Rod rotating round it's end" refers to a physical phenomenon in which a rod, or any long object, is rotated around one of its ends.

How does "Rod rotating round it's end" occur?

The rotation of a rod around one of its ends occurs due to the conservation of angular momentum. When a force is applied to one end of the rod, it causes the rod to rotate around its center of mass, which is located at the other end. This is similar to how a spinning top stays upright as it rotates.

What are some real-world examples of "Rod rotating round it's end"?

One example of "Rod rotating round it's end" is a helicopter rotor. The rotor blades are attached to a central hub, which rotates around its axis at the end of the helicopter. The blades themselves also rotate around their own axis, creating lift and allowing the helicopter to fly.

What factors affect "Rod rotating round it's end"?

The factors that affect "Rod rotating round it's end" include the length and mass of the rod, the distance between the end of the rod and its center of mass, and the force applied to the rod. These factors determine the speed and stability of the rotation.

What are the applications of "Rod rotating round it's end"?

"Rod rotating round it's end" has various applications in engineering and physics. It is used in the design of helicopter rotors, spinning toys, and even in the construction of bridges and buildings to distribute weight and maintain balance. It also has applications in understanding the conservation of angular momentum and rotational dynamics.