Self-Testing on a PC running Win 10

In summary: Application has failed to start because of an unresolved system error. Check the application's event log for more information. "In summary, there is a problem with the SQL Server application, and it is related to power problems.
WWGD said:
I have read, heard that motherboards from HP (my PC brand) do not age well. I bought it on 2015, so that may explain it.
And you said earlier, that it was used when you bought it. Do you have any idea when it was manufactured?

Regarding motherboard lifespan, I don't know if there are problems with longevity of HP laptop motherboards, but I don't think this is true of the desktop computers. The computer I'm using right now is an HP Pavilion that I bought in 2013. I have had exactly zero trouble with it, and I use it pretty heavily.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
And you said earlier, that it was used when you bought it. Do you have any idea when it was manufactured?

Regarding motherboard lifespan, I don't know if there are problems with longevity of HP laptop motherboards, but I don't think this is true of the desktop computers. The computer I'm using right now is an HP Pavilion that I bought in 2013. I have had exactly zero trouble with it, and I use it pretty heavily.
Yes, my bad, I had considered trying in a new battery , but I have been running around too much. But I need internet but I don't have access at home ( using phone as hotspot creates a new set of problems) so a desktop is not a viable option now. Thanks for your patience, follow-up.

WWGD said:
Root cause found:
---------------------------
Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt.

I'd search on "corrupted bootres.dll" and see how other folks have fixed it.

My computer finds mine via the search bar, then click "Properties"
upload_2019-3-7_15-36-52.png
and says it's not been modified since the Big Bang.
and clicking "Security" reports that only a 'trusted installer' has permission to write to it. Even System is blocked.

So if yours is corrupted
i'd suspect either malware or disk hardware error .

Maybe your local computer gurus could find an uncorrupted version and replace it ??

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-7_15-36-52.png
    upload_2019-3-7_15-36-52.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 680
Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt.
Sorry, I missed this line from back in post #27. That was a fairly long list, and I didn't read it carefully.

jim hardy said:
I'd search on "corrupted bootres.dll" and see how other folks have fixed it.
That's a good idea.

jim hardy said:
So if yours is corrupted
i'd suspect either malware or disk hardware error .

Maybe your local computer gurus could find an uncorrupted version and replace it ??
I found this Microsoft site -- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...otresdll/1f44a1c7-2857-474f-8a7a-7eb01a86e005 -- which has a number of good suggestions, one of which is to reinstall the OS. Replacing bootres.dll seems to be a pretty dicey operation -- the replacement needs to be the same version as the one it's replacing, according to the page I linked to.

Here's a link to a page that describes doing a repair upgrade to Win10 -- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

Likes WWGD
Sounds worth a try.

Worst it can do is make the machine into a bookend.

My last resort
terminated-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• terminated-jpg.jpg
    terminated-jpg.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 586
"My last resort "

Yup, that's the fix for when 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' just won't cut it...

Nik_2213 said:
Yup, that's the fix for when 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' just won't cut it...
Yup. Nemesis has her following...

Likes Nik_2213
That keyboard is actually flat, it's just designed like that to stop you typing too fast.

Likes jim hardy
To determine whether it's a hardware problem, you might try booting from a source other than the internal HDD, e.g. a CD or a USB drive -- if you continue to encounter the symptom you described, that pretty much rules out the OS.

Regarding the problem as described, I would suspect power supply, RAM, overheating, or maybe a bad power or reset switch.

You can use a free monitoring toolset such as (e.g) cpu-z (https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.87-en.zip) or hwinfo (https://www.hwinfo.com/files/hwi_602.zip) to check the temps.

Likes WWGD and Mark44