Self taught calc. and Quantum physics

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for resources to learn and excel in quantum physics and calculus. They have some understanding of quantum physics but want to build a stronger foundation. They are asking for recommendations on where to start and what materials to use, and also wondering if learning classical physics first would be beneficial. The responses suggest learning calculus and other math prerequisites before diving into quantum mechanics, and recommend textbooks and online resources for self-study. The conversation also touches on the question of whether quantum physics is related to alchemy, with the consensus being that it is not. Overall, the conversation provides helpful resources and advice for someone looking to learn quantum physics.
zackness123
Hey, I haven't been here for awhile but I would like to know if anyone has some good links or free pdf books, to help me learn and excel in quantum physics and calc. I so far have not taken any calculus and it will most likely be completely foreign to me but, I understand that and since I'm working a hellishly physically demanding graveyard shift factory job I have a lot of free time on my hands outside of work and sleep. So first I would like to know.(I'll separate questions from text)

--What should I learn 1st? I know some Quantum physics and some of the more accepted theory's and some of the less accepted ones. I mainly learned what I know now just to prove a friend wrong in a argument about Quantum physics. Also, so far the math I have encountered in physics hasn't really knocked my block off leaving me confused. In other words I have been able to figure out most equations with a pre calc education so far, but, I doubt that will continue.
--What are good practice sites?
--Where is a good place to start learning Quantum Physics? By this, I mean where exactly do I start what theory's would be best to start at? Because Quantum physics isn't like a history book or a math book that i can just read sequentially related parts, is it? To me Quantum physics seems like in order to understand something you need to know something and to fully grasp that something you need to know something else in which your research would actually end up teaching you more than lectures. So that is why I am asking generally where to start because once I start my own questions will lead me to other theory's and Quantum Physics discussions.thank you, that is basically all.

On a side note do you believe Quantum Physics to be a form of modern Alchemy with all spiritual beliefs behind Alchemy beside?

Edit:I was thinking I should start with classical physics and then work my way to wave particle duality, while simultaneously learning calc. (I think I found a online textbook that might help). And then read basic Quantum theory and break it down into the separate parts that it consist of and learn them individually. I also found a college recording class on youtube of intro. to QP. which seems nice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to learn a bunch of math before you can really start leaning quantum mechanics. Calculus, then differential equations, and linear algebra. So on that score, definitely learn calculus first.

I think that you should get at least one good calculus textbook and work through it. Probably there are also websites that teach calculus.

You might also benefit from the equivalent of an introductory undergraduate "general physics" course before trying to learn QM. For that you could look up some freshman physics courses at universities and see what textbooks they use.

IMO the best way to learn quantum mechanics outside a university would be to get an undergraduate quantum mechanics textbook and work through it. But you'll need the math prerequisites mentioned above first. If you want motivation for the math studies you could get a QM textbook now and look at it to see what math you're expected to be able to do. I like the quantum mechanics textbooks by Griffiths and Shankar.

zackness123 said:
On a side note do you believe Quantum Physics to be a form of modern Alchemy with all spiritual beliefs behind Alchemy beside?

Nope. A sort of "transmutation of elements" does occur in radioactivity, though.

MIT open courseware will be a good resource. Watch the introductory physics course while you're working your way through calc. You will see a lot of what you are doing in the calc book in the physics class too.

You don't really NEED classical mechanics in order to learn QM, but it is my opinion that the concepts of QM are easier to accept after you have already seen an abstract, mathematical approach to describing a physical world that you can see. You don't need it, but I do think you will appreciate it in the long run.

You can learn some of the early stuff about QM with only calc. and basic diff.eqs, but you need linear algebra to get into anything slightly modern. You might also look for a "Modern Physics" textbook. We used the one by Tipler and Llewellyn. I don't know how it ranks in comparison to others, but it seemed okay to me. Buy an old used copy. That will help to keep you interested while you are learning more math, but it does require a good calc foundation. Plus most modern physics texts will cover some Relativity and Stat Mech.

Wow this is an amazing resource. I'm surprised I didn't know about this before. Thanks a lot Plotus!

Last edited:

Related to Self taught calc. and Quantum physics

1. What is "self-taught" calculus and quantum physics?

"Self-taught" refers to the process of learning and mastering these subjects without formal instruction or guidance from a teacher or educational institution.

2. Is it possible to teach oneself calculus and quantum physics?

Yes, it is possible. Many individuals have successfully learned and understood these complex topics through self-study and practice.

3. What are the benefits of learning calculus and quantum physics on one's own?

Self-taught individuals often have a deeper understanding and appreciation for the material, as they have taken the time to fully comprehend the concepts without relying on a teacher's explanations.

4. Are there any resources available for self-taught calculus and quantum physics?

Yes, there are numerous online resources, textbooks, and video lectures available for self-study. Additionally, joining online communities or attending workshops and seminars can also be helpful in gaining a better understanding of these subjects.

5. Can self-taught calculus and quantum physics be applied in real-world situations?

Absolutely. Many professionals in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science use the principles of calculus and quantum physics in their work. Additionally, understanding these subjects can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills in everyday life.