Self study project, feedback on my selection of books?

In summary: The rest of the books I'm not familiar with, but overall your roadmap seems reasonable. Just make sure to take your time and thoroughly understand each topic before moving on. Good luck on your self-study journey!In summary, the individual plans to reinforce their physics knowledge through self-study, with varying amounts of time available due to being a parent and having a full-time job. They plan to use books such as Landau/Lifshitz's Mechanics, Franklin's Classical electromagnetism, and Szekeres' A course in modern mathematical physics to reinforce their mathematical skills and prepare for more advanced topics such as general relativity and quantum mechanics. Their ultimate goal is to study books on quantum field theory and string theory. Their roadmap seems reasonable
sciencerookie
I'm going to reinforce my physics knowledge via self study in my spare time, the amount of time available is varying since I'm a parent and have a full-time work...

My math background:
Real and complex analysis, linear algebra (abstract, but finite-dimensional), basic abstract algebra, number theory, some functional analysis, integral transforms, vector calculus.These are the books I'm planning to use, in order (and some comments).

Woodhouse - Special relativity
Read this a few monts ago. Good treatment of SR, but I'm glad I had seen much of the material before...

Landau/Lifshitz - Mechanics
I took a short analytical mechanics course a long time ago. This seems to be a concise and pedagogical survey of the subject.
I have began reading the first 50 or so pages, and it seems very good so far. Much more accessible than Goldstein (which is on my shelf since my days at school, but I never liked it)

Franklin - Classical electromagnetism
This looks like a reasonably rigorous text, without the mathematical bloating found in Jackson.
Will this do?
My goal is a rigorous undergrad/lower grad level.

Szekeres - A course in modern mathematical physics
To reinforce mathematical skills, using the subjects of the previous books as examples and preparing for the diff. geo. of GR.

Schutz - A first course in general relativity
This seems to be the best introduction there is. I also have Carroll's book.

Thirring - Classical mathematical physics
To reinforce the mathematics once again, deeper this time.

Schroeder - An introduction to thermal physics
Is this a good book?
Found a very cheap used copy...

Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics
I studied from Bransden/Joachain many years ago, and read the first half of Shankar three years ago so I have some previous experience. I hope I'm ready for this one, it gets good reviews by most people in here.Later on, my goal is to read books on QFT and String Theory. I will postpone the selection of books for this, these first books should keep me occupied a few years... :)Thoughts?
Does roadmap sound reasonable?
Should I change order or use other books?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll only speak of what I know, mainly L&L's Mechanics. I think it's a great book, quite clear, concise and the explanations are good. I have a friend that's working through Schutz and it seems pretty good. Ballentine is also considered one of the best books on Quantum Mechanics but I haven't seen it for myself.

1. What is the purpose of a self-study project?

A self-study project is a personal learning initiative where an individual sets out to learn a specific topic or skill on their own. The purpose of a self-study project is to improve one's knowledge and understanding of a subject, often without the guidance of a teacher or formal curriculum.

2. How do I select the right books for my self-study project?

When selecting books for a self-study project, it's important to consider your learning goals and preferred learning style. Look for books that cover the topic comprehensively and are written by reputable authors. Consider reading reviews and ratings to get an idea of the book's quality and suitability for your project.

3. Can I receive feedback on my selection of books for my self-study project?

Yes, it can be beneficial to receive feedback on your book selection for a self-study project. You can ask for feedback from friends, colleagues, or even experts in the field. Online forums and communities can also be a great source of feedback and recommendations.

4. How many books should I include in my self-study project?

The number of books you include in your self-study project will depend on the depth and breadth of the topic you are studying. It's important to strike a balance between covering the topic thoroughly and overwhelming yourself with too much material. Start with a few key books and add more as needed.

5. Can I use other resources besides books for my self-study project?

Absolutely! While books are a great source of information, there are many other resources you can use for a self-study project. These may include online courses, videos, articles, podcasts, or even hands-on activities. It's important to have a variety of resources to keep your learning engaging and well-rounded.