Self Study Books for Chemistry/Biology/Math

In summary, the conversation involved someone new to the forum seeking help in finding the best self-study books for Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics in preparation for college. They were given recommendations for Chemistry: Chemistry the Central Science by Brown, and Linus Pauling's Chemistry. For Biology, Campbell Biology was suggested as well as Genetics Analysis and Principles by Robert J. Brooker for more advanced students. For Mathematics, Thomas/Finney 9th edition was suggested for Calculus. The possibility of also studying General Physics and using University Physics by Hugh as a resource was also mentioned. The conversation concluded with a discussion about the level of difficulty of Pauling's General Chemistry book and the benefits of purchasing multiple chemistry textbooks for a well-rounded understanding.
MohitD
Hi, I'm new to the forums.
I hear this is a helpful site with knowledgeable people who know what they're talking about.
I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me.
I am in high-school and soon attending college in a year, I plan on going into Medicine but I want to be extremely prepared for all of the Sciencey classes and Math classes.

Will you guys help me out by recommending the absolute BEST Self Study books for the following subjects:

Chemistry (I'm looking for a book or two that starts off with the most basic concepts, and goes to the most advanced or at least college level)

Biology (Same thing as Chemistry)

Mathematics (College Algebra books, Pre Calculus, Calc, and Stat)

Please let me know if you guys know any good ones
Also Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it alot.
:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemistry: Chemistry the Central Science by Brown (I used the 11th edition). It is a pretty easy book to read from, not overly advanced, but not too easy either, just right for a person who wants to self-study and are new to the subject. Lots of problems per chapter, and a good amount of work out problems as well. But, if you want to have a good mastery over the material presented, buy the student solutions manual for the 11th edition as well. Costs about $55 on amazon + shipping for a new text, and about $19 + shipping for a used text.

Chemistry the Central Science covers all of general chemistry (most basic, i.e. learning how to manipulate units to get to the desired unit, all the way to an introduction into Organic chemistry)

For an advanced text in Chemistry: I read Linus Pauling's text which is pretty advanced, but I'd suggest buying, "Chemistry: The Quest for Insight (4th edition)" as reading two-three texts won't hurt you. Besides reading from multiple texts actually helps deepen the understanding in my experience.

Biology: For an introduction, I personally admire Campbell biology. Same thing as chemistry, but the focus here is knowing a lot of material. Usually you'll read from specific sections for a class, so it depends on what biology you'd be taking. But a good place to start is the genetics portion as the "chemistry of life" portion has some stuff taken from general chemistry that is used like valence electrons, etc... (chapter 8-9 in Central science). (You really don't need a solutions/study manual)

Covers the core areas as introductions, i.e. chemistry of life, cellular biology, genetics, ecology, evolution, etc...

Usually for advanced texts, you'd buy specific texts on the topic of interest.

For biology, you should also utilize further research (i.e., google etc) on topics that you don't get as some resources have links to sights that help with leading to better understanding. For me, I bought "genetics analysis and principles" by Robert J. Brooker, to help understand and increase my knowledge on genetics. It is a genetics based text so it is for the advanced student but it wasn't too advance in my opinion as I could understand it having never taken a course in genetics.

Mathematics: (I never took college Algebra and I didn't take precalculus either so I wouldn't be of much help to you in suggesting a book).

But when you do get to a level of taking Calculus, I personally would suggest Thomas/Finney 9th edition (has a light house on the cover) as your calculus text to self-study from. Great tool to grasp the fundamentals and not too watered down in my opinion, and he does use proofs which aides in the understanding in some sections. Like chemistry, I'd buy the solutions manuals in combination to help with learning.

(I know you didn't mention it..) As for physics, because you are going into medicine, I would lightly suggest reading "General Physics Sternheim and Kane", and the reason I am suggesting lightly is (1) that it costs a lot of money as the text isn't produced any longer, but I have it and from reading it, it incorporates more of the medical aspect to future medical students, and (2) some problems are wrong. IF you do end up buying it, you should definitely come here and ask in the home-work help section if a problem has you confused if it is right or wrong.

The MCAT, from my understanding, has only algebra based physics and not calculus based physics but I never read an algebra based physics text, so I wouldn't be good at suggesting one.

Another physics text I'd suggest is University Physics by Hugh. IT is a well paced book with a good amount of examples to help with further understanding but like always, search for more examples outside the text for mastery.

Likes tuxscholar and Fooality
Thank you very much for your help
I appreciate it alot
You mentioned Pauling's book.
I hear that his General Chemistry is the absolute best, is it actually to advanced to start off with?
But again, thanks for your help.

There is high level mathematics within the book, so if you haven't taken calculus, I would say, yes, it is pretty advanced. I'd buy it along side another chemistry text though.

To me personally, the exposition is really good but I wouldn't say it is the "best" book (really dependent on the one reading it). I personally found, Brown's book to be one of the better chemistry textbooks because of the sheer volume of explaining "why", and he doesn't really leave out many details, or if any from when I read it. But the advanced student may like Pauling better, so it comes down to a matter of taste.

Pauling's book is pretty cheap, you can buy it off of Amazon for about $15 or go to Barnes and Noble and get it for $23 (tax included). Really a win, win if you plan on prepping.

General chemistry is over two semesters and the first semester usually has you going from dimensional analysis and ending at Liquids and, one of my favorite concepts, Intermolecular Forces.

Hello and welcome to the forums! It's great to see that you are already thinking ahead and preparing for your future studies in medicine. I can definitely recommend some self-study books for the subjects you mentioned.

For Chemistry, I would recommend "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, and Murphy. It covers all the basic concepts of chemistry and also goes into more advanced topics that you will encounter in college. Another great book is "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling, which is a classic in the field.

For Biology, "Biology" by Campbell and Reece is a comprehensive book that covers all the major topics in biology. It is widely used in college courses and is a great resource for self-study as well. "Biology: A Global Approach" by Neil Campbell is also a highly recommended book.

For Mathematics, there are a few different books I would suggest depending on your level and needs. For College Algebra, "College Algebra" by James Stewart and Lothar Redlin is a great option. For Pre-Calculus, "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, Lothar Redlin, and Saleem Watson is a popular choice. For Calculus, "Calculus" by James Stewart is a widely used textbook. And for Statistics, "The Practice of Statistics" by Daren S. Starnes, Dan Yates, and David S. Moore is a highly recommended book.

I would also suggest checking out online resources such as Khan Academy or Coursera for additional self-study materials and practice problems. And don't forget to use your college's library and resources for textbooks and study materials as well.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your studies!

Related to Self Study Books for Chemistry/Biology/Math

1. What are self study books for chemistry/biology/math?

Self study books for chemistry/biology/math are textbooks or study guides that are designed for independent learning. They typically cover the key concepts, theories, and problem-solving techniques in the subject and often include practice exercises and self-assessment tools.

2. How are these books different from regular textbooks?

Self study books are specifically designed for independent learning and are often more condensed than regular textbooks. They may also include additional practice exercises and self-assessment tools to help students gauge their understanding and progress.

3. Are these books suitable for all levels of students?

Self study books for chemistry/biology/math can be suitable for a variety of levels, depending on the specific book and its intended audience. Some may be geared towards high school students, while others may be more appropriate for college-level or advanced learners.

4. Can these books be used as the sole resource for studying the subject?

While self study books can be a helpful resource for learning a subject, they may not cover all of the material that is typically included in a traditional classroom setting. It's important to supplement self study with other resources, such as lectures, online tutorials, and practice problems.

5. How can I choose the best self study book for my needs?

Choosing the right self study book for your needs will depend on your learning style, level of understanding, and goals. It's important to research different books and read reviews to find one that is well-suited for your specific needs and preferences.