Self-learning Special and General Relativity

In summary, the individual has been self-studying S&G relativity for eight months and is currently in their second year of a physics degree. They have been using Weinberg's book and other resources to learn, but have not yet taken formal lectures on the topic. They have been able to derive the Schwarzschild solution, special relativity expressions, and the FRW metric, but feel they are lacking in their understanding of cosmology. They are considering paying for a PhD to receive lectures on their interests. Another individual suggests that they are advanced for being able to solve the Einstein equations and understand Weinberg's book, but may still have difficulty with more complex topics such as gravitational waves and rotating black holes. They are encouraged to
davidge
(I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but I think the "textbooks" section is'nt. So I'm going to put it here.)

I have been self studying S&G relativity for almost eight months, mostly from Weinberg's book on S&G relativity, but also from papers I occasionally find on web and from the help of PF members when I start threads here.

I'm actually in the second year at uni to get a bachelor degree on physics. I'm not getting S&G relativity lectures yet, since these are usually at the third / fourth year of the course. Anyway I don't like introductory lectures, because I find them so simple. BTW, I started learning Calculus long before starting the course at uni. When I did start studying there, I already knew almost all of Calculus. (I wonder why the same doesn't happens to S&G relativity.)

My question is, do you people think I'm too slow in learning the theory? Six months! and I can only derive things like:

- Schwarzschild solution
- Most of those expressions of Special relativity
- FRW metric

And of course, I understand some of the theory behind these derivations. But this is a litlle bit of the foundamentals of S&G relativity. On the part of Cosmology I know almost nothing at all! When I turn to more advanced textbooks or even at uni when I talk to professors or guys which are in graduate courses, I see that I know essentially nothing, and it is long for almost eight months!

I can't stop loving physics. What can I do? Maybe pay for a Phd to give me lectures on the topics I'm interested in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, I think you are pretty far when you really can solve the Einstein equations to get the FLRW and Schwartzschild solutions, and if you understand Weinberg's book on the subject (I guess you mean "Gravitation and Cosmology" from the early 70ies), then you are pretty advanced. Of course, if you talk to a PhD student working on a research problem in GR/cosmology, it's likely that you don't understand much of his or her advanced and specialized problem. In my opinion it's also not good to specialize too early. You should first get a broad knowledge about the fundamental basics to see what you really like to do for a PhD.

So, I'd encourage you to go on learning what you like, but also try to follow a systematic study plan on your university, so that you get a broad overview over all of (I guess theoretical?) physics and a solid foundation for more specialized work in the higher semesters and finally a PhD work.

Likes davidge
Thanks vanhees71.
vanhees71 said:
I guess you mean "Gravitation and Cosmology" from the early 70ies
Yes, that's what I meant
vanhees71 said:
I think you are pretty far when you really can solve the Einstein equations to get the FLRW and Schwartzschild solutions
Really? But this is so simple. There are still all those things about gravitational waves, rotating black holes, etc... which I can say are really hard for me to understand. Quantum Mechanics usually has to be used, and the integrals that appear are really challenging for me.

How far do you think one who knows what is presented in Weinberg's book is from understanding (and being capable to work with) things like the integrals with QM terms, etc?

Related to Self-learning Special and General Relativity

1. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity and non-inertial reference frames.

2. How does self-learning play a role in understanding relativity?

Self-learning involves using machine learning techniques to analyze and interpret data in order to understand complex systems, such as those involved in relativity. This can help uncover patterns and relationships that may not be immediately apparent to humans.

3. Can self-learning algorithms be used to solve the equations of relativity?

While self-learning techniques can aid in the understanding of relativity, they are not capable of solving the equations of relativity on their own. These equations still require mathematical and physical expertise to accurately solve.

4. How can self-learning be applied to real-world applications of relativity?

Self-learning can be applied to analyze data from observations and experiments related to relativity, such as gravitational wave detections. It can also aid in developing and refining models and simulations used in astrophysics and cosmology.

5. Are there any limitations to using self-learning in understanding relativity?

As with any scientific approach, there are limitations to using self-learning in understanding relativity. These include the need for accurate and extensive data, as well as the potential for bias and errors in the algorithms used.