Self-Adjoint Operators and Reversible Logic gates

In summary, according to Quantum Computing, a reversible logic gate is needed in order to be able to use QM. However, it is uncertain if there is a connection between the two.
karatemonkey
Does anyone know if there is a relationship between the requirement in Quantum Computing that logic gates be reversible and the requirement in Quantum Mechanics that observables have to be self-adjoint?

Physics news on Phys.org
If this question has revealed stupidity on my part please let me know, and give me a reference to straighten me out

AFAIK, no. This is not my area of expertise, but I would guess that "reversible" implies "unitary", and symmetries in QM must be represented by unitary ops, so there may be a connection there.

Thanks for the reply.

A reversible logic gate essentailly means that if you run an input through the gate and get an output, you can apply that output to the gate and get back the input. The map is one to one, so that is a unitary operation.

I'm going to show my ignorance again and what the relationship is between self-adjoint and unitary operators?

Formally, a unitary operator U can be written as U = exp(iA), where A is self-adjoint.

karatemonkey said:
Thanks for the reply.

A reversible logic gate essentailly means that if you run an input through the gate and get an output, you can apply that output to the gate and get back the input. The map is one to one, so that is a unitary operation.

Take a simple gate that takes two inputs: the possibilities are: (on,on), (on,off), (off, on), or (off,off). If there is only one output, (on) or (off), then how can such a mapping be one-to- one?

Avodyne said:
but I would guess that "reversible" implies "unitary", and symmetries in QM must be represented by unitary ops, so there may be a connection there.

Reversible seems more like "invertible" than "unitary". They are almost synonymous if the transformations form a group, because then an inverse would exist, and also the result that every representation is equivalent to a unitary representation.

What's interesting is that if every representation is equivalent to a unitary representation, then that means every group is isomorphic to a subgroup of the unitary group? Is this useful for anything?

Thanks for the replies.

To RedX, a single output gate is not reversible when it takes two or more inputs. (See the hand wavy definition of a reversible gate I gave :) ) Actually, you have to have the same number of outputs and inputs for it to be reversible. So yes you are correct in what you stated about two inputs and one output not being one to one. For a cogent discussion look at Tofolli Gates, or Hadamard Gates.

To Avodyne
To the relation between unitary and self-adjoint, sorry for the bone head question.

I'm now thinking that a better question is "Is there a relationship between Stone's Theorem and the requirement that QC use reversible logic gates" Since Stone's theorem takes the static feature of observables being self-adjoint and allows one to talk about evolution in time.

I'm hunting around here trying to get my head around this stuff, please bear with me.

Last edited:

Related to Self-Adjoint Operators and Reversible Logic gates

1. What is a self-adjoint operator?

A self-adjoint operator is a type of linear operator in mathematics that is equal to its own adjoint, or transpose. This means that the operator and its adjoint have the same matrix representation. In other words, the operator is symmetric with respect to a certain inner product.

2. What are some examples of self-adjoint operators?

Some common examples of self-adjoint operators include Hermitian matrices, which are square matrices that are equal to their own conjugate transpose, and differential operators such as the Laplace operator or the Schrödinger operator.

3. What is the significance of self-adjoint operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, self-adjoint operators play a crucial role in representing physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a self-adjoint operator correspond to the possible outcomes and states of a quantum system.

4. What is a reversible logic gate?

A reversible logic gate is a type of logic gate that allows for the recovery of input data from output data. In other words, the gate is invertible and can be run in reverse to retrieve the original input. This is in contrast to irreversible logic gates, which cannot retrieve the input from the output.

5. How are self-adjoint operators related to reversible logic gates?

Self-adjoint operators are commonly used in the design of reversible logic gates, as they preserve information and allow for the recovery of input data from output data. The mathematical structure of self-adjoint operators is also useful in analyzing and optimizing the efficiency of reversible logic gates.