Logical implication vs physical causality

In summary: In other words, you're admitting that this thread is based on your personal theory? That makes it off limits for PF discussion.
entropy1
There is something I don't understand that I want to ask quantum physics experts here:

Suppose the happening of event X results logically speaking in the happening of event A. So we could for instance have the following logical implication

##X.happens \rightarrow A.happens##.

If this is logically true, does that mean there is also a physical necessity for A to happen if X happens, and is there a physical causal relationship between the happening of X and the happening of A?

I ask this because I found you could find logical inferences about physical events without having to refer to causality immediately.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Such causal physical relationship is the meaning of the timeless physical law. Initial conditions implies the future state, as per the immutable deterministic laws of physics. So there is no novelty.

The problem is however, how can be infer the premises, and the timeless law? These questions show the practical and conceptual weakness of the determinism. How you do infer a timeless "logical necessity" from empirical science? I would claim you can't. This is the problem. We can effectively do it for special cases, with small systems we can easily repeat enough times to make it without doubt that the implication from initial to final state holds. But on cosmological and evolutionart scales "always" is a strong word,

/Fredrik

Fra said:
How you do infer a timeless "logical necessity" from empirical science? I would claim you can't. This is the problem. We can effectively do it for special cases, with small systems we can easily repeat enough times to make it without doubt that the implication from initial to final state holds.
entropy1 said:
##X.happens \rightarrow A.happens##
Yes, if this implication is true, you would probably only corroborate it by confirming it with measurement and statistics, directly and indirectly. However, it is possible to motivate logical statements by reasoning.

But I am no scientist. So I ask the experts here. 😉

I think I found the answer. If A is true if X is true, they don't have to have a causal relationship between them, because there for instance could be a third event C that has a causal relationship with A and X.

I think I have to rephrase my question. Suppose that the logical statement "X.happens implies A.happens", holds. Does "NOT(A.happens) then imply NOT(X.happens)"? Could it be just a statistical relation. Does causality have to be involved somewhere?

Thanks.

entropy1 said:
I think I found the answer. If A is true if X is true, they don't have to have a causal relationship between them, because there for instance could be a third event C that has a causal relationship with A and X.

I think I have to rephrase my question. Suppose that the logical statement "X.happens implies A.happens", holds. Does "NOT(A.happens) then imply NOT(X.happens)"? Could it be just a statistical relation. Does causality have to be involved somewhere?

Thanks.

##\lnot A \rightarrow \lnot X## is the contrapositive of ##X \rightarrow A## and so would also be true.

Are you asking if ##X\rightarrow A## implies ##\lnot X \rightarrow \lnot A##? No, but ##X\leftrightarrow A## would. Quantum mechanically, we would say that ##X\rightarrow A## if $$\frac{\mathrm{Tr}\left[\Pi_A\Pi_X\rho\Pi_X\Pi_A\right]]}{\mathrm{Tr}\left[\rho\Pi_X\right]}\approx 1$$ whereas ##X\leftrightarrow A## is only satisfied if $$\frac{\mathrm{Tr}\left[\Pi_A\Pi_X\rho\Pi_X\Pi_A\right]]}{\mathrm{Tr}\left[\rho\Pi_X\right]}\approx\frac{\mathrm{Tr}\left[\Pi_A\Pi_X\rho\Pi_X\Pi_A\right]]}{\mathrm{Tr}\left[\rho\Pi_A\right]}\approx 1$$

entropy1 said:
Suppose the happening of event X results logically speaking in the happening of event A. So we could for instance have the following logical implication

##X.happens \rightarrow A.happens##.
Where would such a logical implication come from?

PeterDonis said:
Where would such a logical implication come from?
I could tell you that in nine lines, but you could deem it personal theorizing.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
entropy1 said:
I could tell you that in nine lines, but you could deem it personal theorizing.
In other words, you're admitting that this thread is based on your personal theory? That makes it off limits for PF discussion.

Thread closed.

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is the difference between logical implication and physical causality?

Logical implication refers to the relationship between two statements where the truth of one statement guarantees the truth of the other. Physical causality, on the other hand, refers to the relationship between events where one event is the direct cause of another event.

2. How are logical implication and physical causality related?

Logical implication is often used to explain physical causality, as it helps us understand how one event is connected to another. However, logical implication does not always equate to physical causality, as there may be other factors at play.

3. Can logical implication be used to prove physical causality?

No, logical implication alone cannot be used to prove physical causality. While logical implication can help us understand the relationship between events, it does not provide concrete evidence of causality. Other factors, such as experimental evidence, must also be considered.

4. Are there any limitations to using logical implication to explain physical causality?

Yes, there are limitations to using logical implication to explain physical causality. Logical implication is based on deductive reasoning, which means that the conclusion is only as strong as the premises. If the premises are incorrect, the conclusion may also be incorrect.

5. How does understanding logical implication vs physical causality benefit scientific research?

Understanding the difference between logical implication and physical causality can help scientists design more accurate experiments and make more informed conclusions. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between different events and helps avoid making false assumptions based on logical implications alone.