Selecting Motor for Project: Calculating RPM Requirements

In summary, the individual is looking for a motor to spin an aluminum disk between 400 and 3000 rpm for a project. They are considering using brushless DC motors for precise speed control and are wondering how to calculate the correct specifications for the motor. It is suggested to use a DC outrunner brushless motor, which can be found by searching for "radio control outrunner brushless motor" online. The disk will be 3.5 inches in diameter and 0.5 inches thick, with a milled thickness of 1/32 inch. A controller will also be needed to allow for speed intervals between 100-300 rpm.
kclouse
I'm trying to figure out how to select a motor for a project. I want to spin an aluminum disk between 400 and 3000 rpm. How would I go about calculating the correct specifications for a motor?

Thanks
-Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Since i don't know about your load. i suggest if you try with brush less DC motors because it is very good for precise speed controls.

Is this disk touching anything other than what is supporting it? If not, all losses are due to friction and those losses are extremely difficult to calculate (but are relatively small). Either way, if it is a small disk, a small dc motor will certainly give good speed control.

You'd probably want a dc "outrunner" brushless motor. These generate more torque at lower rpm than conventional dc motors. They're popular for radio control models. Do a web search for "radio control outrunner brushless motor" and you'll find quite a few site that sell these, along with specifications, like voltage, amps, torque, rpm, ...

Thanks all.

The disk will be made out of a 3.5 inch diameter .5 inch thick aluminum stock. It will be milled to 1/32 inch thick aside from the coupling that will attach directly to the motor shaft via two set screws.

I want to attach some kind of controller to the motor to allow roughly 100-300 rpm intervals from 400 to 3000 rpm.

The disk will be spinning perpendicular to the ground.

What do you think would work best?

Brushless motors already require a controller just to operate, and a typical controller allows the rpm to be varied. You just need some feedback from the controller or from the motor to determine and modulate rpm.

Related to Selecting Motor for Project: Calculating RPM Requirements

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a motor for a project?

There are several factors to consider when selecting a motor for a project, including the required torque, speed, power, and voltage, as well as the physical size and weight of the motor. It is also important to consider the operating environment and any specific performance requirements for the project.

2. How do I calculate the required RPM for my project?

The required RPM (revolutions per minute) for a project can be calculated by dividing the desired speed (in revolutions per unit time) by the gear ratio of the motor. This will give you the output speed of the motor, which can then be converted to RPM by multiplying by 60 (since there are 60 seconds in a minute).

3. What is the difference between constant speed and variable speed motors?

Constant speed motors operate at a fixed speed, while variable speed motors can be adjusted to run at different speeds. This can be useful for projects where the speed requirements may change or for applications that require precise speed control.

4. How do I choose the right type of motor for my project?

The type of motor you choose will depend on the specific requirements of your project, including the type of power source, required torque and speed, and the environment in which the motor will operate. Some common types of motors include DC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors.

5. Can I use a motor with a higher RPM than what is required for my project?

It is generally not recommended to use a motor with a higher RPM than what is required for your project. This can lead to excessive wear and tear on the motor and may cause it to overheat or fail. It is important to select a motor with the appropriate RPM for your specific project needs.