Looking for a 12VDC motor with low RPM

• Thread starter may ki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Rpm
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a motor that can drive a colorwheel in a robot at a low speed and with minimal noise. Various suggestions are given, such as using a gear motor, a plastic gearbox, a stepper motor, or a servo motor. It is also suggested to try adding oatmeal to the gearbox or using a motor from a car window or a computer printer. The conversation concludes with a note on avoiding stiction by using a low frequency to drive the motor.
may ki
I'm looking for a motor that will drive a colorwheel inside a robot. All of the 12v/DC motors I have discovered so far have significantly higher RPMs (3000+) than I require. I would prefer something that runs quietly between 3 and 10 RPM. I looked online and found a few gear motors to try, but the noise is similar to a power screwdriver going on high. There is a lot of transmission noise that cannot be muffled.
I decided to ask a question here because I am a complete electronics novice. I'm unsure of the possibilities available or whether such a motor even exists.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Low torque ? Perhaps a plastic gearbox, or a stepper motor...

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
What the heck, you already have a motor/gerabox you can't use, so try adding some oatmeal to the gear box. (dry, uncooked oatmeal)

If size is not a problem, a motor/gearbox that operates the windows in a car.

Or a servo motor as used in model airplanes or boats.

Likes russ_watters
A motor from a computer printer is quiet in operation. Alternatively, a cassette motor is very quiet and reliable. You can make a motor turn slowly by driving it with a square wave having a mark space ratio which differs slightly from 50%. Use a low frequency, such as 25 Hz, so the motor armature is shaken slightly, as this avoids stiction.

Unfortunately, a connection between the OP and a spammer was found, so I'll close this thread now. Great responses by you folks to the question! :smile: