Select the FIRST correct reason why the given series converges.

In summary, the given series converges for the following reasons: 1. It is a convergent geometric series with a common ratio of 1/16.2. It can be rewritten as a convergent p series with p = 8.3. It can be compared to a convergent geometric or p series.4. It passes the alternating series test.5. It also passes the alternating series test.6. It meets the criteria for the alternating series test, making it convergent.
McAfee

Homework Statement

Select the FIRST correct reason why the given series converges.

A. Convergent geometric series
B. Convergent p series
C. Comparison (or Limit Comparison) with a geometric or p series
D. Converges by alternating series test

XVOO5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I will go over my reasoning for each problem.

1. A. I really it was a geometric and r is 1/16 which is less than 1 meaning it is convergent.

2. I want to say it is comparsion but I'm not sure.

3. Not sure.

4. B. Want to say alternating but it doesn't fit.

5. D. It alternates, ignoring signs it decrease, and the limit as x goes to infinity equals 0. All meaning it converges due to the alternating series test.

6. D. It alternates, ignoring signs it decrease, and the limit as x goes to infinity equals 0. All meaning it converges due to the alternating series test.

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone has any ideas. I'm truly stuck on this one problem.

Just to update everyone. After further investigation I was able to figure out all the answers.
Here they are.

1. A. I really it was a geometric and r is 1/16 which is less than 1 meaning it is convergent.

2. B. Rewrite this as (-1)^n * n / (n^9 * (-1)^n) = 1/n^8.

3. C. Use 0 < sin^2(3n) < 1, so that sin^2(3n)/n^2 < 1/n^2

4. D. It alternates, ignoring signs it decrease, and the limit as x goes to infinity equals 0. All meaning it converges due to the alternating series test.

5. D. It alternates, ignoring signs it decrease, and the limit as x goes to infinity equals 0. All meaning it converges due to the alternating series test.

6. D. It alternates, ignoring signs it decrease, and the limit as x goes to infinity equals 0. All meaning it converges due to the alternating series test.

Related to Select the FIRST correct reason why the given series converges.

What is the definition of convergence?

The mathematical definition of convergence is when a series approaches a specific value or limit as the number of terms in the series increases.

What factors determine if a series converges or diverges?

The main factors that determine if a series converges or diverges are the behavior of the terms in the series and the number of terms in the series. If the terms approach a finite limit or if the number of terms is finite, the series converges. If the terms do not approach a limit or if the number of terms is infinite, the series diverges.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the absolute values of the terms converge to a limit, regardless of the signs of the terms. Conditional convergence refers to a series where the terms converge to a limit, but only when the terms are arranged in a specific order.

How do you determine if a series converges using the comparison test?

The comparison test states that if a series is smaller than a convergent series and larger than a divergent series, then it must also converge. To use this test, we compare the given series to known convergent and divergent series and determine if it falls within their bounds.

What is the relationship between the limit of a sequence and the convergence of a series?

The limit of a sequence is the value that a series approaches as the number of terms increases. If the limit of a sequence exists, then the series converges. If the limit does not exist, then the series diverges.